2014 Reflection, Must Be Gun Hobby Related

runco

As 2014 draws to a close, what is your reflection on your gun hobby good or bad.  Example, guns you bought, best deal, worse deal, best trade, worse gun, reloading, best shot, or anything else for that matter as long as it related to the gun hobby. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as for mine, this hobby does require lots of money and patience.  My best deal was the Colt AR15-A4 and I am finally a member of the 1911 club.  All good to me.  :pleased:

PS, 2015 is beginning to look sad, there is a deal nearby that I want, and I just don't have the money lying around, and I am afraid someone will snatch it up.  :ugh:

I added a G21 to the collection and still don't know if I am gonna keep it. It is well balanced and impressive to shoot, 13rd mags of .45 is impressive as well but the grip is just a bit too big for my mitt.

This quandary will follow me into 2015. 

Everything else has been positive except for my first attempt at using a gunsmith's services. I felt like he could use the business and I try to support the local guy but- The Dude had my Winchester model 94 for 10 months, he not only didn't fix my problem, he also managed to lose my firing pin. Not happy was I, the firing pins aren't a dime a dozen. He didn't man up so he's lost my business. I fixed it myself and it's a great shooter now.

Other positives, added a G23, 22/45 MKIII and a .17HMR.

2014 allowed me to start storing ammo for bad times.  I bought a few guns and most importantly, just built my first AR from parts. I made my first Form 1 SBR and bought a can that I am anxiously awaiting.  I was able to get some self defense handgun training.  I hope to continue in 2015 to build on some of those same things.

On the positive side I got very heavy back into Black Powder shooting and I plan to build a pistol in 2015. I'm three years away from retirement and already 

bought my retirement home. I will have to build an add on workshop as I've been collecting hobby equipment for then which includes a metal lathe, a milling

machine along with other equipment. I see gunsmithing in my future. :)

On the negative side my Dad, who is a WWII Vet, is 96 years old and we can no longer go out to the range shooting together. It's been around 5 years since he had

to stop. On the positive side he's still around which is just as good as going shooting. His health and spirits are good right now but time does take it's toll. 

My hopes and dreams:  lame .22LR scalpers get laid off, run out of money and can no longer mess with the good folks. If that can't happen I hope the .22LR manufacturers

make so much that the scalpers get stuck buying at the higher than normal prices and cannot sell their booty. May they get stuck with it until their dying days,

Amen.

Edited by Lowpower

2014 was a very good gun year for me.  Coming home after about five years of working overseas and being away from all things guns, I got busy making up for lost time.

In 2014, I was able to...

• Was able to pick up my Walther P99, Kel-Tec P3AT, and Mossberg 500a from a friend who kept them in his safe for me while I was overseas
  • Bought a GSG-522 for fun shooting
  • Bought my first AR; assembling the lower myself, then later SBR'ing it
  • Bought a 2nd AR; currently have a 16" barrel and the Bushnell scope as mentioned in a prior thread under Gear and Accessories for it
  • Take my girlfriend shooting for her first time; she enjoyed it a good bit and had fun shooting the .22LR and my Walther, not so much the AR, but that's my gun anyway :)
  • Last but not least, I found TGO; you folks are good people :up:

Goals for 2015

• Finish building that 2nd AR into a long range gun; that means a 12" or 15" free float handguard, under a low gas block, which means I'll have to get the FSP block off
  • Get some quality range time in the spring before the hot weather takes a lot of the fun out of shooting outdoors

Dreams for 2015 and beyond

• Buy an M1 from the CMP
  • Buy the SA 1911 TRP
  • Do some research & planning to decide if a can for the AR's is right for me (ie: $)
Edited by btq96r
2014 saw some interesting times for me as far as guns and the like go. Between my newfound interest in reloading, a brief period of time where I lost my sense and bought 4 Mosins in 4 weeks, it's been fun.

I would say that one of the potentially big changes this year too is my firearms trust. Hopefully 2015 is the year of the form 1 with a few SBR and cans coming my way.

It hasn't been all positive, but I won't sit around and waste time on looking at the losses, too few and far between and in the grand scheme of things, pretty unimportant. 2014 was a great year for me and my guns, I'm hoping 2015 is as well, but also see's me stepping back from buying a bit and instead working with what I have already.

2014 was slow until November when I bought 3 firearms. I bought an AR-15 Pistol lower, a Walther PPX(which I'm selling) and a Glock 17 gen4.

I have decided that my collection has become redundant so I'm done buying polymer handguns. I have a feeling 2015 will be a fun year.

I think I got 5 guns this year. 8 rd Mossberg 500 persuader and Marlin XL7 in 270 in January, then a 13rd Mossberg 930 and an EAA Witness Elite 10MM Match in July I think, and then an S&W M&P AR10 about a month ago. I've been super happy with all of them, and each has filled a special niche in my collection.

Real scoped rifles (aside from 10/22s and Mosins) are a new category for me. I'm just starting to try and grasp longer range accuracy shooting. I've been a pistol guy for so long that this is a new/exciting/frustrating learning experience.

Also, this has been a year of maximizing my firepower within my limited budget. I've had a 44mag for awhile, but the 10MM is new to me. I know there are more powerful semi-auto options, but not than I can feasibly afford. Having 13rds of 12g OO buck ready to go in the 930 is kinda awesome, and there's just something satisfying about 25 rds mags filled with .308 happiness in the M&P10. :-)

For 2015 the only new thing I'm really wanting to add is a Smith 1911. My other goals are to tune and refine my current inventory. I have 3 M&P pistols begging for Apex overhauls, and I want to make some changes to the M&P10, as well. I also want to spend some time tricking out my 10/22. Other than that, I want to put nore effort into finding some better carry options for my Shield. I don't carry as much as I should/want to, because I haven't spent the time/money/effort into getting good holsters. Edited by musicman

I helped my oldest son build his own AR. He did well Here's the first 3 shot, 100 yard group from it; even before getting it sighted in properly.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_06882_zps8517de04.jpg.html]IMG_06882_zps8517de04.jpg[/URL]

I'd post pics of the carbine, but they all look the same.

I still haven't built my TGO lowers.  still have them in the safe.

I believe the only new pistol I got this year was a 9mm Colt Defender.

(.45 was a bit much considering my wife might need to use it, didn't want her to be afraid of it).