6.8 SPC Build

TNMTBik3r

I have mentioned it a few times, but my next AR is going to be a 6.8 SPC ii. Looking for anyone here who has a 6.8 and any suggestions or thoughts you may have.

I already have the lower (PSA lower, LaRue MBT-2S 2 stage trigger, VLTOR Emod stock is on the way).

For the upper (Anderson upper receiver) I believe I am going with a Bison Armory 18" SPR barrel. May grab an AR Performance barrel if I catch them in stock starting January. I am not against a 16" barrel, 18" *may* be slightly more accurate, but from all I have read 6.8 excels in short barrels so just depends on what I find in stock.

Plan on a 13" rail, either Diamondhead VRS like I used on my pistol or a keymod of some brand.

I may get a matched bolt with the barrel. Otherwise just a 6.8 BCG from Aim Surplus.

I orderd 100 rounds of SSA 100gr Accubond ammo from PSA the other night. I have 250 new, primed FC brass ready to load. I need to find an inexpensive plinking bullet, possibly some Gold Dots from Rocky Mountain Reloading unless I find something cheaper. Also need to research powders more, looking through my Hodgdon/Hornady manuals the only listed powder I have experience with it Benchmark.
Probably go with Accubonds, Hornady SST 120gr, or Sierra Gamekings for hunting depending on the accuracy I get.

I am on the 6.8 forum and have read / am reading up more.

Anyone here have experience with 16"/18" barrel and your thoughts? Reloading bullet and powder suggestions?
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a couple 6.8's from a bolt gun to gas guns. My last one I sold was a LWRC m6a3. I love that round. Loved reloading for it. But I got out of it because I could reload 308 cheaper so I just changed everything over to that.

The round is amazing. I truly love it. My LWRC was a 14.7" and to me the perfect length. Still got great velocity through it. The bolt gun was nice because I could load up heavy rounds like the 140grainers.

Anyways you'll like the round and can't go wrong with either barrel length. The round was designed to be shot from a short barrel anyways so that says a lot right there.

Again only reason I got out of it was it was just cheaper to stick with all 308 bullets for my 300/221 and 308 and loading for both was considerably cheaper. I'm sure things have changed since I was in the game of 6.8 though. Hell I started in 2007 with that round. So it's been a bit.

I've built two 6.8's and enjoy them both. One is a 16" SPR and the other is a 11.5" SBR.

Most accurate loads for me shooting 110g Hornady HPBT and 115g Sierra MK HPBT bullets are with AA2200. I think you'll find that's the go to powder from the fine folks at 68forums

My 16" barrel is from White Oak and shoots 3/4 MOA. My 11.5" is from Bison, currently loading up some 180g subsonic loads for it. The 180's will stabilize with its 1:7 twist.

214ea9a650e67f5ea926e8db310be192.jpg

a6e92309206bf370414fd5808fb2594e.jpg

Edited by leftyk82
Being that I loathe the 5.56, I've had several 6.8's going all the way back to the Kotonics days. Ended up selling them because I didn't reload and SSA was they only ammo maker and they were always out. You can't go wrong with the Bison or ARP barrels and bolts. I just built another one since you can actually get factory ammo and they have figured out how to make mags work.
I have yet to find anything negative about 6.8. Edited by Smith

Being that I loathe the 5.56, I've had several 6.8's going all the way back to the Kotonics days. Ended up selling them because I didn't reload and SSA was they only ammo maker and they were always out. You can't go wrong with the Bison or ARP barrels and bolts. I just built another one since you can actually get factory ammo and they have figured out how to make mags work.
I have yet to find anything negative about 6.8.

great point about the mags.  I've only bought and tried PRI and they work for me.  

great point about the mags. I've only bought and tried PRI and they work for me.

Evidently, PRI is closing out their ribbed/waffle version mags and coming out with a gen 2(?). You can get the old waffle ones relatively cheap right now. On the 6.8 forums folks really like the ASC mags. I also picked up some D&H mags really cheap at PSA and they work well. Heavy but good none the less.
I planned on PRI mags. Saw the D&H mags, they have worked well in 5.56 for me so may try some 6.8.

I may end up going with a 16" barrel since the round does work so well from short barrels. An 18" may be slightly more accurate but doubt I will notice, as both brands I am looking at seem to be consistent sub-MOA barrels regardless of length.

Thanks for the powder info. The only one listed in my manuals I have experience with us Benchmark and it meters great. Will need to read up on the others, prefer to use a ball powder instead of extruded.

I planned on PRI mags. Saw the D&H mags, they have worked well in 5.56 for me so may try some 6.8.

I may end up going with a 16" barrel since the round does work so well from short barrels. An 18" may be slightly more accurate but doubt I will notice, as both brands I am looking at seem to be consistent sub-MOA barrels regardless of length.

Thanks for the powder info. The only one listed in my manuals I have experience with us Benchmark and it meters great. Will need to read up on the others, prefer to use a ball powder instead of extruded.

I was sold on the 18" at first also, but when I saw the velocity numbers between that and the 16", I decided the maneuverability and weight savings was enough to offset the 50-100 fps loss.