Who wears contacts?

I've worn contacts for 32 years.  I think LASIK is great, but I wouldn't spend the money for it.  My contacts only cost $100 per year.  You're going to need reading glasses anyway.  My right contact is set up for normal vision, and my left is for reading.  Trying to see things properly for shooting is difficult.  You have to pick whether to see your sights or target.  I can't see both clearly, but that's just due to old age.  :down:

This depends on how bad your eyes ARE, really.   I could barely read the E on the chart... and that only with one of my eyes.  Afterwards, I was 20-20, and even now, in my 40s, I can do 95% of things without my glasses.   If I lost a contact, or broke one, I could not drive, work, or do much of anything, might read a book with my nose touching the paper nearly, or tv/computer at the same distance, but it was pretty miserable.    I usually had spares but stuff happens... out and about, blink it out of your eye and its 50 bucks down the toilet.  They also get scratched etc, if hard like mine were (and extreme bad vision can only use hard, back then anyway?)  I would estimate I had to buy a set every 6 months, and over the time period... it would easily have paid for my lasik!

I highly recommend lasik if you are either very young (less than 30, preferably in early 20s) or if your vision is really bad (cannot at least drive without your glasses/contacts at all).   If not, skip it. 

I paid for mine with one of those screwball medical expense accounts that somehow bounce off your taxes... I don't remember how it works but you get X dollars to spend on medical stuff and that comes out of your income pre-tax, so you pay less taxes.  These are normally a bad risk ... you normally can't spend these accounts dry and lose money ... but knowing what I had planned ... it worked out for me to do it for one year.

Edited by Jonnin

1 reason to go contacts: peripheral vision.

I occasionally switch back to my glasses and it amazes me how little I can see. You don't have to constantly turn your head to line up your focal point in contacts.

Thought about Lasik, but not everyone gets back to 20-20. You may have bad enough vision that improve.. but still need glasses or contacts (though in a weaker prescription).

I've got -4.75, -4.25, which means I can read a things clearly about 6 inches in front of my face. But with my contacts, I can see for miles.

I've worn contacts for 32 years.  I think LASIK is great, but I wouldn't spend the money for it.  My contacts only cost $100 per year.  You're going to need reading glasses anyway.  My right contact is set up for normal vision, and my left is for reading.  Trying to see things properly for shooting is difficult.  You have to pick whether to see your sights or target.  I can't see both clearly, but that's just due to old age.  :down:

I have the same issue, I had the option of either having clear long distance or short distance so picked long. I use +1 glasses for reading small text when needed.  I figured I needed to see things coming better than waiting till they were on me.

If you are talking iron sights, why not set up your shooting eye to also be your reading eye?  This is what I did until a couple months ago, when I suffered a severe eye injury.  I'm still waiting for my vision to stabilize to see what I need/can do. 

Edited to add...I would avoid LASIK like the plague--my wife is one of the non-95% success rate and she regrets the day she did it.  She is lucky that she is still able to wear soft lenses.  She is basically back to her pre-surgery correction with the added benefit of a continually fluctuating correction and ruined night vision. 

Edited by deerslayer

If you are talking iron sights, why not set up your shooting eye to also be your reading eye? This is what I did until a couple months ago, when I suffered a severe eye injury. I'm still waiting for my vision to stabilize to see what I need/can do.

Edited to add...I would avoid LASIK like the plague--my wife is one of the non-95% success rate and she regrets the day she did it. She is lucky that she is still able to wear soft lenses. She is basically back to her pre-surgery correction with the added benefit of a continually fluctuating correction and ruined night vision.

I'm curious what went wrong? If you'd rather not say, that's fine too.

I'm curious what went wrong? If you'd rather not say, that's fine too.

I am curious too.

Like anything else, though, not all doctors are equal.  The machine may do the work but the DR has to know how to set it up.   There are some bad DRs out there (cough, cough, if you happen to live around me, and you notice that someone has to advertise, a lot, .... you might avoid them).

Been wearing contacts for since I was 13 so almost 25 years. They suck but have been pretty good for me. The ones nowadays are pretty comfortable. I wear monthly and can usually go 2 mo or so.
I never could figure why insurance won't pick up the surgery. But I guess they screw ya on hearing aids too.
Anyway I hate wearing glasses. They bug the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk