Here we go again, Police: Officer fatally shoots armed man in town near Ferguson, Missouri

vontar

Here we go again, Police: Officer fatally shoots armed man in town near Ferguson, Missouri

A police officer shot and killed an armed man late Tuesday in Berkeley, Missouri, said St. Louis County police spokesman Brian Schellman.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/justice/missouri-officer-involved-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

CNN on TV already showed a riot that took place while the police were still on scene.

Appears they pointed a gun at the officers, a gun was recovered.

Here is the video. 

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/12/24/newday-police-fatal-shooting-armed-man-berkeley.cnn.html

********edit

I guess this is suppose to be video leading up to it.

I can't make much out yet.

http://fox2now.com/2014/12/24/surveillance-video-released-of-fatal-officer-involved-shooting-in-berkeley/

Edited by vontar

Here's video showing the gun being pulled...cop was 100% justified.

I know this may come as a shocker for some...but if you pull a gun on a cop, you are probably going to have a bad day...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2014/dec/24/cctv-footage-antonio-martin-gun-police-missouri-video

That video wasn't anything great, in my eyes.  I'm astonished that a cell phone can have a better camera than a CCTV setup these days.

Also, from another article in The Guardian, which is a very good news source;

The police officer was wearing a body cam, but it was not activated at the time of the shooting. His police vehicle was also fitted with a video camera but it is only activated when the car’s red lights are flashing, and they were not at the time. Belmar said officers were “not used to” the new technology. The surveillance footage from the gas station was described as “really pretty good”.

If the officer had his body cam activated and recording, this case would be even more cut and dry than it is now, with a crystal clear video available that couldn't be disputed.

That video wasn't anything great, in my eyes.  I'm astonished that a cell phone can have a better camera than a CCTV setup these days.

The police officer was wearing a body cam, but it was not activated at the time of the shooting. His police vehicle was also fitted with a video camera but it is only activated when the car’s red lights are flashing, and they were not at the time. Belmar said officers were “not used to” the new technology. The surveillance footage from the gas station was described as “really pretty good”.

If the officer had his body cam activated and recording, this case would be even more cut and dry than it is now, with a crystal clear video available that couldn't be disputed.

It wasnt great, but it shows the guy pulling a gun which is all that really matters at this point...

Didnt Obama sign an executive order stating that all police cars have to have cameras now...? Wonder why the cop didnt have any of his cameras on...

Edited by tennesseetiger

Even if he did it would make no difference to these people.  They need very little to start up, they don't need any facts to muddy their truth.

Cameras are pieces of hi-tech equipment that routinely fail, run dead on batteries, or fill up with memory. The big caveat here is that you must know when to turn them on since you can't run them all shift, and what started as a casual talk outside a gas station turned to this. Fortunately, it appears there is just enough clarity on the gas station camera to visualize the handgun.
  • Like 2

I have said this to many times but one more won't hurt. YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID. Evidently this 18 year old had a death wish or wanted to go out by suicide by Cop. Either way he got his wish. These people need to learn that no police officer black, white, yellow or red is going to stand by and allow anyone to assault them or others around them and they damn sure are not going to allow you to shoot them if they can shoot first. Evidently St Louis is going back 150 years to the days of the wild west and gunfights in the streets between  good guys and bad guys.............................jmho

• Like 2
But the 18 year olds mama said he didn't have a gun.

Facts don't matter.
It appears that some just don't trust sworn law enforcement, and won't until thy are under the control of the likes of Holder and his ilk.
The executive order will only take effect when he nationalizes local police. Edited by Still Ugly
What a bunch of idiots! I know the herd of onlookers hadn't seen the video yet, but you don't show up acting like wild animals without some facts. Fireworks at a gas station? REALLY!? The idiot who did that deserves federal prosecution! As usual, I'm sure no amount of evidence will satisfy these people. Edited by BigK

But the 18 year olds mama said he didn't have a gun.

Facts don't matter.
It appears that some just don't trust sworn law enforcement, and won't until thy are under the control of the likes of Holder and his ilk.
The executive order will only take effect when he nationalizes local police.

I doubt seriously he will ever be able to nationalize the police departments because they don't like him nor trust him just like the Military does not like nor trust him...........................jmho

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

What a bunch of idiots! I know the herd of onlookers hadn't seen the video yet, but you don't show up acting like wild animals without some facts. Fireworks at a gas station? REALLY!? The idiot who did that deserves federal prosecution! As usual, I'm sure no amount of evidence will satisfy these people.

Before you can satisfy anyone about any thing they first have to be willing to remain quiet until they have all the facts and then decide on what actions to take. For some reason for which I have no clue of information the people are not willing to hear the facts first. They refuse to accept any findings of any Grand Juries which are made of of about every race legally in this country. It's not like back in the 60's in Alabama and Mississippi when they had mostly all white men jurors. Every court at every level in our country is made up of a multi Racial and Ethnic group of people....................jmho

• Like 1
API - "St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the 18-year-old had a considerable criminal record in the less than two years since he turned 17, with three assault charges, armed robbery, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon."

"Some protesters questioned why the officer couldn't use pepper spray or a stun gun.
"Frankly, that's unreasonable," Belmar said. "When we had somebody pointing a gun at a police officer, there's not a lot of time."

Pepper Spray versus a drawn 9mm? Duh. Fact finding and reasoned thought is playing no role amongst a certain element of "protestors".
  • Like 1

API - "St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the 18-year-old had a considerable criminal record in the less than two years since he turned 17, with three assault charges, armed robbery, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon."

"Some protesters questioned why the officer couldn't use pepper spray or a stun gun.
"Frankly, that's unreasonable," Belmar said. "When we had somebody pointing a gun at a police officer, there's not a lot of time."

Pepper Spray versus a drawn 9mm? Duh. Fact finding and reasoned thought is playing no role amongst a certain element of "protestors".

What? Nobody asked why the officer didn't just shoot him in the leg?

It wasnt great, but it shows the guy pulling a gun which is all that really matters at this point...

Didnt Obama sign an executive order stating that all police cars have to have cameras now...? Wonder why the cop didnt have any of his cameras on...

It barely showed the gun.  If they had been around the corner, or one of them had their backs to the camera, it would be a he said/he said argument, and in the current environment, that's a recipe for disaster.  Then there is the bad practice in waiting on relying on a business to have a camera system up and running.

The EO signed by the President is for helping to fund the body cams, he can't mandate their use. 

Even if he did it would make no difference to these people.  They need very little to start up, they don't need any facts to muddy their truth.

I'm more interested in the media having access to the footage.  They will go with whatever they have on hand, and in the absence of any video, they just roll the post crime scene footage.  With the body cam, they'll have evidence they can't ignore.

Having it on hand for investigations after a shooting would be beneficial, too.

• Like 1