What is my most economical choice for black powder ammo?

I got bit hard by the muzzle loader bug this past deer season.  A friend was nice enough to loan me a rifle for the season and I had a great time while taking two deer with it.  I recently aquired my own muzzleloader but I haven't bought any ammo for it yet.  The one I borrowed was a .45 and the one I bought was a .50.  I used Powerbelts to hunt with but I was pretty displeased with their performance, specifically they don't seem to expand much.  One deer folded, the other ran 300 yards on a lung shot.  I will try the Hornadys next season.  In the mean time I'd like to do a fair amount of shooting before deer season starts.  I want to get to know this gun well and use it to its potential.  It seems that commercial hunting rounds are $1+ a piece which gets a little pricey when shooting several.  Seems like this might be worth the investment to start casting, especially since I wouldn't mind casting .45 ACP as well.  Besides that what could I shoot economically?  I would think that mini balls won't give me anywhere near the same performance of a conical bullet at any significant distance. 

The rifle that I have aquired is what appears to be a CVA Buckhorn.  I realize that there are many variables but what effective range could I expect to see out of this gun?  I've always used loose powder in the past but I'm really wondering if pellets would be more accurate?   It seems that it is hard to get exactly the same measure of powder each time using a powder measure.  In addition to that 100 grains of powder in my measure was only about 84 grains per my scale. 

Thanks in advance for replies.  I'm already working to make sure I have a great muzzle loader season next year, just trying to get on the right track.

I just got a bullet mold for mine so I can cast my own, I want to do the same as you next season.  I have a mix of rounds left for mine, but like you I want to shoot more, for less.  I was also recommended blackhorn 209 for powder which midsouth has in stock. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000790480/Blackhorn_209_High_Performance_Muzzleloading_Powder_(10_Oz) so will give that a try after hunting season to get it dialed in.  As for range, the furthest I have shot with mine is 150 yards but it can reach further depending on charge and projectile with 300 yards not out of the question. 

Black powder is is used by volume, modern powder is used by weight.

You will need to find a powder and at what charge and projectile that works in "your" ML.

I cast RB and boolits for my pistols, my rifle likes a Lee minie ball that I cast.

• Like 1

I have an older CVA inline .50 that I've taken 4 deer with. I used a cast Lee REAL bullet, but this year switched to a cast Lee .45 TL 230 gr in a Harvester sabot. over 100 grains of *Pyrodex RS. Dead on at 110 yards, and dropped a doe in her tracks.

* I know there's better stuff, but I have at least a lifetime supply. And as RED333 said, by volume. 100 grains of Pyrodex by weight is equivalent to about **135- 140 grains of black powder; a dangerous load for non-magnums.

** EDIT My tests show Pyrodex weighing in at about 75% of the same volume of GOEX fff, I've seen 70% published somewhere.

Edited by ttocswob

Powerbelts and 777 pellets work well in my CVA Wolf. When I used a Thompson Renegade side hammer rifle, I loaded it with loose Pyrodex and Hornady Great Plains Lead hollow point bullets.

To get the best performance from yours, you really should try different things until you find what works for you and your rifle.

With a 50 caliber bullet, I've never had a problem finding a shot deer. However, I've yet to shoot one with a round ball.

I wouldn't focus so much on economics as performance. You wouldn't want to lose the buck of the lifetime because you tried to save a dollar or two.

Most people don't shoot muzzleloaders enough for money to become a real issue.