Next Gen Beretta

runco

Thanks for posting this Mikey.

good article. I like the gun a lot.

As Eric88 says, this a darn good explanation of why the Beretta 9, in it's current and projected new configuration will probably be around for a while longer.

Costs and time involved to switch to a new weapon would be astronomical.

Of course,  little things like cost haven't stopped things like it from happening before.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Because the placement of the safety allows the shooter to inadvertently put the gun on safe when clearing a malfunction or any other time the slide is racked. Having a dead trigger when you come up off a clearance or reload can be quite the eye opening experience.... This is yet another reason most of the SOF units choose not to run the M9 when their command allows it. Beretta needs to only offer the G model and be done with the safety for good. It simply isn't needed on a DA/SA gun.

The new M9A3 offers some nice upgrades and big ARMY would be crazy not to make the switch if they indeed decide to stick with the Beretta platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well thats what the DOD required for the 1911's replacement.  And its not been removed from the requirement.  So regardless of what people want, this is what you are going to get.  

Personally, for my purposes, it doesn't effin matter and I like my berettas. 

• Like 1

More info from Beretta... http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2014/12/30/the-m9a3-berettas-shrewd-move/

The grip design & the fact that a drop in G conversion is available for this model along with a lower MSRP will be big selling points for Beretta customers. I may have to pick one up when it gets a "Made in TN" stamp. I think I'd still prefer mine in black, though.  :usa:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tangojuliet

well i figure uncle sam wasnt gonna go with the m9a3 ..... im figuring sig or the super duper secret pistol smith and wesson and general dynamic are collaborating on.....

Heading back to .45? Kinda hope so.

Why in the world would you want to do that?  .45ACP FMJ and 9mm NATO FMJ produce wound channels that are almost indistinguishable (they both suck, IOW), and at least with the 9mm you get more chances to hit something important per magazine.

Army won't go with anything that isn't NATO ammo. We won't stray from the 9mm for a sidearm anymore than we would field something not chambered for 5.56. The special forces type units already get to use pretty much whatever they want from what I hear.

I do see them going to some sort of polymer striker fired gun though.

I wouldn't count out Beretta just yet.

There's quite a track record there, and still lobbying/politics to be played out. The Army of course doesn't get final say on budget stuff either.

For sure there's gonna be a safety and/or decocker on whatever is adopted. Think Glock Butt on a mass scale if not.

- OS

Army won't go with anything that isn't NATO ammo. We won't stray from the 9mm for a sidearm anymore than we would field something not chambered for 5.56. The special forces type units already get to use pretty much whatever they want from what I hear.

I do see them going to some sort of polymer striker fired gun though.

+1. I've heard more than one military "expert" along with a couple officers say in interviews that we would mainly consider the .45 round if we expected an attack on U.S. soil because the .45 is more readily available here than anywhere else in the world. Maybe they're preparing for a Zombie invasion...ahem...or Muslim invasion (same difference) here in the U.S. Otherwise, 9mm is going to be here for a while. It's odd that Beretta's PX4 Storm SD was the only .45 to pass all of SOCOM's trials a few years back & they still went with the 9mm.

Why in the world would you want to do that?  .45ACP FMJ and 9mm NATO FMJ produce wound channels that are almost indistinguishable (they both suck, IOW), and at least with the 9mm you get more chances to hit something important per magazine.

Guess I'm just an old school guy at heart. Sorry to get yer pisser flappin'. ;)

Heading back to .45? Kinda hope so.

Since no handgun is a death ray, with 9mm being in the same general ballpark as .45, I simply prefer more bullets being immediately available, and I'd opine the military feels roughly the same way. It's the reason the .30-06 was discontinued and few are issued 7.62 rifles either.

- OS

• Like 1

Since no handgun is a death ray, with 9mm being in the same general ballpark as .45, I simply prefer more bullets being immediately available, and I'd opine the military feels roughly the same way. It's the reason the .30-06 was discontinued and few are issued 7.62 rifles either.

- OS

I get that; I guess I just like the "Americaness" of the .45 over the metric guy.

I get that; I guess I just like the "Americaness" of the .45 over the metric guy.

I would have disagreed with you till the last year or so. But my liking for the 45/1911 has grown tremendously. Where I once took a 45 out once a year, now it goes every range trip.

There really is "something" about them that just is so satisfying to shoot.

• Like 1

Guess I'm just an old school guy at heart. Sorry to get yer pisser flappin'. ;)

Fair enough... shouldn't you be gumming tapioca and taking your pills, gramps?  :hat:

Actually on most things I find myself pretty "old school" myself.... I know the feeling... and ironically enough I stopped in the middle of the post to take my pill.   :pleased:

Edited by dcloudy777