Upgrading 1/2 ton pickup suspension???

Any of you guys upgraded the suspension/towing capabilities on your 1/2 ton? I will be looking at getting another truck within the next few months and I can't justify getting a 3/4 ton. I will probably get another silverado or sierra and the 5.3L does just fine for me. There have been a few occasions where I got a load of dirt in the back of the truck and it squatted more than i'd like. I don't plan to grossly overload the truck or anything to where it's unsafe but I would like to look at either an upgraded leaf pack or possibly air ride. I know nothing about air ride so feel free to school me on that. I'd also probably upgrade the brakes within reason if not crazy expensive.

I have an Explorer that I "squatted" more than I wanted when I towed my boat even though it had the towing package.   I had Nashville Spring install a set of helper springs and that did the trick for me.   In your case you will probably need something more substantial of an upgrade.   Either way they can give you some options to think about.  

• Like 2

I have an Explorer that I "squatted" more than I wanted when I towed my boat even though it had the towing package.   I had Nashville Spring install a set of helper springs and that did the trick for me.   In your case you will probably need something more substantial of an upgrade.   Either way they can give you some options to think about.  

Yeah I would want to go with a full leaf package rather than the helper springs. Assuming that's what your talking about. The only drawback is that more springs equal a stiffer ride. Air ride may take care of this though. I have some research to do.

I had air bags installed on my F350.  Not cheap, but they'd level the truck with 2 tons in the bed (which was still within the truck's rating:).

You can't change the GVWR of the truck by modifying it.  If it would carry 1000 pounds before, it's only rated for the same 1000 pounds after you modify it.  But you can get your headlights out of the trees and back on the road.

• Like 2

I had air bags installed on my F350.  Not cheap, but they'd level the truck with 2 tons in the bed (which was still within the truck's rating:).

You can't change the GVWR of the truck by modifying it.  If it would carry 1000 pounds before, it's only rated for the same 1000 pounds after you modify it.  But you can get your headlights out of the trees and back on the road.

Yeah I don't have anything to back this statement up but I'd be willing to bet the factory springs start to sag way before you get close to the GVWR. A short truck bed load of wet red dirt is probably the most weight I have ever hauled but I'm not sure how much it weight. It was very heavy though.

A half-ton truck bed will hold enough dry dirt to overload the truck.  Wet dirt is even worse.  You really have to watch your weight hauling dirt or rock.

The tires are the first thing to go.

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1

A half-ton truck bed will hold enough dry dirt to overload the truck.  Wet dirt is even worse.  You really have to watch your weight hauling dirt or rock.

Well if any of you saw me that day and thought "what and idiot" I guess I deserve it!  :pleased:

Next time I will use an appropriate sized trailer that will take some of the weight but will still want to upgrade the suspension.

My problem is that I have never cared for the gas burning 3/4 tons and I just don't want to pay all that money for a diesel as 99% of the time I don't need that much power. I do however need the extra weight capacity. Are the newer large gas burning engines really gas hogs?

I beefed up my LB 2WD Ranger to pull a landscape trailer. I already had 2" front leveling springs but replaced the stock rear springs with some heavy duty rear springs from JC Whitney. On top of that I added air bags, ran the valve stems through the license plate bolt holes. 

The air bags are the ticket. 

I've used helper springs before but a full set really made a difference and when heavily loaded I just added air to the bags to even things out.

Rides like a log wagon but I've had pulled way more than a 1/2 ton in this truck. 

I also added a 4.0 liter radiator and put a 4.10 gear in as well behind a 3.0V6 auto, my trailer also has electric brakes. 

I would say I have a 3/4 ton Ranger....and rides like it.

• Like 1

I beefed up my LB 2WD Ranger to pull a landscape trailer. I already had 2" front leveling springs but replaced the stock rear springs with some heavy duty rear springs from JC Whitney. On top of that I added air bags, ran the valve stems through the license plate bolt holes. 

The air bags are the ticket. 

I've used helper springs before but a full set really made a difference and when heavily loaded I just added air to the bags to even things out.

Rides like a log wagon but I've had pulled way more than a 1/2 ton in this truck. 

I also added a 4.0 liter radiator and put a 4.10 gear in as well behind a 3.0V6 auto, my trailer also has electric brakes. 

I would say I have a 3/4 ton Ranger....and rides like it.

Ford should have offered something like this from the factory.  :up:

I always wanted an older F250 but my Uncle left me this Ranger and I can't part with it. So I've built it to serve my needs. I'm no longer hauling a mower and landscape stuff so my only need to pull something is mulch in the spring and moving friends and furniture so the log wagon ride is getting tiresome.

I'm running some 29/9.50/15 AT tires on it that have plenty of miles left but when it's time to replace them I think I'll drop it down a bit and replace the rear springs with something softer. I'll keep the air bags.

This is a 97 model and the front suspension camber bushings are at the max-adjustment. This lift I've done is hard on the alignment and such but a lifetime alignment with Firestone helps. (had that since 2001 and align it every Jan.  :D )

The truck came stock with 195/75/14 and I'll probably put 235's on it. 

Oh yeah, this truck never got good mpg. Avg is 16-17 so if it wasn't my Uncle's truck I'd be in a F250.

The suspension is different on a 3/4 ton but the frame is the big one that can't be changed on 1/2ton.

I'd recommend a 3/4ton. The 2500 has either a 6.0 or 6.2 they do burn more fuel but not too bad. Won't be a whole lot of difference if both trucks are setup the same, gears, 4x4, same trans etc. Thing is, most 1/2tons are setup for economy whereas most 3/4tons are setup for work. A 3/4ton will be a tougher truck also.

If you do go with a 1/2 ton upgraded, get air bag helpers in the rear.
  • Like 2

Nnot sure on the springs and shocks..but we opted for really good tires..10 ply tired will hold up way better with weight in the truck bed.I use a gooseneck horsetrailer and haul usually  2 horses .Cost me around 800 dollars for a good set but as they say..So much is riding on your tires

I think  air bags are a good idea..That would be my next thing for my truck is I go any higher on weight...It doesn't improve the weight   limit but makes it easier to tow

• Like 1

I bought a 3/4 ton truck 12 years ago, and have never regretted the purchase. I didn't know what I didn't know.

I could not agree more. I've had my Dodge 2500 for four years now, and it is my all time favorite. It has a ton of power, and I can put a whole pallet of stone in it. I don't need the ability to do that often but when I do it's great.
My dad had a 99??? 1/2 T silverado that he upgraded some. He had it set up perfect. I wish I could ask him what he did. Of course I wish I could ask him lots of things.
Still he traded it for a 1T bc he bought a bigger camper though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not agree more. I've had my Dodge 2500 for four years now, and it is my all time favorite. It has a ton of power, and I can put a whole pallet of stone in it. I don't need the ability to do that often but when I do it's great.

Did you have a gas burner or a diesel? I have been looking around online and craigslist and have seen a few decent deals on higher mileage 3/4 tons. I'm not scared of vehicles over 100k miles if I feel like they ride well and have been taken care of but I know nothing about gas burners in the size range. 

Are there any specific engines that have trouble that I should steer away from in that size range?

If you want a truck to CARRY heavy loads, you may want a gas engine.  The diesel package is some 700 lbs heavier than the gas version, and that comes directly off your carrying capacity.  If you want to tow heavy loads, then diesel is the ticket.

I had the 6.8L V10 gas engine in my F350 and it was a beast.  I've seen the engines torn down after 150-200K miles of durability testing and they looked new.

Mine delivered 10-11 mpg, loaded or unloaded, uphill or downhill, headwind or tailwind.  With the airbags and 4000 lbs of camper in the bed, it road like a limo on the interstate.

I don't know squat about Chevy or Dodge - ain't my area.

If you want a truck to CARRY heavy loads, you may want a gas engine. The diesel package is some 700 lbs heavier than the gas version, and that comes directly off your carrying capacity. If you want to tow heavy loads, then diesel is the ticket.

I had the 6.8L V10 gas engine in my F350 and it was a beast. I've seen the engines torn down after 150-200K miles of durability testing and they looked new.

Mine delivered 10-11 mpg, loaded or unloaded, uphill or downhill, headwind or tailwind. With the airbags and 4000 lbs of camper in the bed, it road like a limo on the interstate.

I don't know squat about Chevy or Dodge - ain't my area.

I could not agree more with everything you said. A business that I worked for had the whole family of Ford trucks and a 2002 f-250 v-10 was the best of all of them. It was cheaper initially, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to drive.

In my experience air bags are about the only route worth going on leveling and stabilizing your ride. You maintain a soft ride while empty that way as well and it is not that much more difficult, if any to instal. I will say that if you are finding the need to increase spring weight on a halfton you need a bigger truck.