Stupid AR Question

glowdotGlock

I am doing some looking around for an AR. I plan to use my Christmas bonus on one. I saw this pic on Yeager's facebook page. I like the look of this gun and when I think Supressed AR this is what I picture minus the Red Jacket lower. I am wanting to go ahead and buy a can and do my forms. I guess my question is can anyone speculate on the "specs" of this upper? What length barrel? What can? Looks to me about a 10" or so... I will just be using this rifle for Home Defense and to take out and show off to the guys every now and then. And with this shorter barrel will I still be able to take the occasional coyote out to 125 yards or so? This would be my first supressed gun. I guess what I am saying is I want a rifle that looks like the one below.
44f913e0240764d5a3d99aa2234ac477.jpg

I am by NO means and expert, but I have been doing a lot of can shopping here lately and I will say this, I have not seen one with that rounded over end. That would make me speculate it is some type of custom made (maybe Form 1) or tieing it to the lower some type of Red Jacket one off type of deal.

I will also offeryou this. If you want to use a can 10.5" is about as short as you want to go. I am not saying you can's use one on a shorter upper but everything I have found on the interwebz seems to state that they are much less effective. Most manufacturers will have a minimum barrel length listed for a given can.

• Like 1

So I would probably be better off finding a good lower then buying a complete upper with the can all at once then probably wouldn't I?

You could just configure it as a pistol first so you can shoot it till SBR and silencer stamps come in, then add stock and can. 'Course if you have a trust, apparently that only takes a month to six weeks with Eform these days, so may not matter much.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

You could just configure it as a pistol first so you can shoot it till SBR and silencer stamps come in, then add stock and can. 'Course if you have a trust, apparently that only takes a month to six weeks with Eform these days, so may not matter much.

- OS

I am new to the suppressor world and looking to jump in as easy as possible. Is there a dealer I can go to to get my paperwork started?
Your first step should be to setup an NFA Trust. Once your lawyer has that established you can start the E-File process for your lower and can. That will greatly expedite your process with the ATF. E-File form 1's are coming back in under a month these days. They are saying the form 4's should be back up and running soon.

http://www.silencershop.com

They are a great vender to use and can walk you through the entire process for your Form 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by GhostRecon21

Definitely not a Surefire Mini. It also looks like a direct thread which leads me to believe it is either an older can or a homebuilt can. Not saying there are not any direct thread cans being built but they are a lot more rare these days.

I would not want that particular upper. The reason it does not have a forward assist and when doing a lot of suppressed shooting a forward assist can help as things start to get dirty. But pretty much any shorty upper will work as long as it is from a quality builder. I would also suggest getting an adjustable gas block. MicroMOA makes some quality, unique and well thought out adjustable gas blocks for suppressed guns. They have 2-3 positions and to adjust you just push the adjuster from side to side rather than turn a knob or setscrew.

For NFA questions I would be glad to talk you through it. There are advantages to doing a trust and advantages to doing it as an individual. But the actual process of filling out, and submitting, the paperwork is no harder than getting a passport.

If you want to discuss I will gladly give you my number and I can explain the process. It is not difficult at all but depending on how you are going to buy it, as a person or as an entity, dictates what you must go through.

I am running a 8.5" AR with a 9" silencer and it is handy. I will say that mine is in 300 Blackout though. Here is a post about the silencer I built.
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/83653-my-newest-build-my-form-1-silencer-is-finally-done-almost/

Thank you Dolomite. I was gonna give you a call a while back but my gun budget got blown out of the water. I have always wanted a black rifle with a can. I like the look of the shorty barrels. I didn't want to have a 16" barrel and an 8-10" can. Too long for me. I may just give you a shout in a couple weeks.