Rifled slug shotguns

rbishop

Anyone have any experience with shotguns with rifled slug barrels?  I think they would be perfect for coyote hunting. They should work great out to at least 100 yards. Any experiences out there? Benelli, Remington, Browning, Winchester, Mossberg and even H&R offer them and I imagine dealers don't stock them.

I used to own a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. The rifled barel, fire sights, & sabot slugs make a deadly combination & are good well beyond 100 yards. I used to shoot standard rifle & pistol paper targets at 150 yards & could easily hit in the center ring almost every shot. They make an excellent hunting "tool".

I just traded away my Mossberg 635, I purchased it for hunting on post but only got one doe before I stopped hunting on post.  They are very accurate with sabot slugs, and agree that it can go beyond 100 yards, but unless you are restricted to shotgun only I would rather use a centerfire of what ever caliber you have.

I hunted for the first 25 years of my life with shotgun only in IL as rifles weren't allowed due to the terrain (too flat).  I have used Remington 870's and 1100's with rifled slug barrels as well as an H&R with rifled barrel all with good results.  I never had over a 60 yard shot because that was as far as I could see in the woods where my stands were.  

That being said, is there a reason you want to use a slug vs. a rifle?  While a slug will certainly do the job, I would also prefer to use a centerfire rifle if I had a choice.  I would also say that slugs, especially in a single shot or pump, are not really fun to shoot.  You don't notice it when hunting, but sighting in can be a bit tiresome.  If I was going to get a slug gun for just coyote, i would probably go with a 20 gauge.  

I think in the end, you will want to know you can shoot out farther than 100 yards without having to worry about as much bullet drop.  I use anywhere from my 204 Ruger up to 25-06 on coyote and know if I wanted to I could shoot about as far as I could see them.  I am not much for shooting over about 250 yards in most cases though.  Most of the time, any shot I take is 100 or less as part of the fun is trying to get them close. 

• Like 1

I have a Remington Super Slug:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-sps-shurshot-synthetic-super-slug.aspx

Savage makes one that looks pretty good, and the price is right.

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-220F-20-Gauge-Rifled-Barrel-Slug-Shotgun/product/10218652/

I probably would've gotten that one if it had been available when I bought my Remington.... But then again, I've shot deer at 118 yds with my Super Slug and it's DEAD ON out to 150.... And I like the 870.

Browning makes this one:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=026B&catalog_=B

I like it A LOT.... but it's too much $$$ for a 12ga IMO.

It's a handful at times, very heavy so it's not a great gun to tote around all day. But man, it gives IMPRESSIVE damage at 120+ yds.

I shoot these in it:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Superformance-Slugs

They're expensive... but dead on and cause massive damage. If you're interested in keeping the pelts on those dogs, maybe not the best option. I shot a doe at 120-130 yds with it last year, pulled the shot a bit and hit her in the spine. When I got to her there was spine hanging out, and it looked like a bucket of blood was dropped all over the place. A hole the size of a softball on her. Backstrap was just about completely ruined.

That being said, is there a reason you want to use a slug vs. a rifle?  While a slug will certainly do the job, I would also prefer to use a centerfire rifle if I had a choice.  I would also say that slugs, especially in a single shot or pump, are not really fun to shoot.  You don't notice it when hunting, but sighting in can be a bit tiresome.  If I was going to get a slug gun for just coyote, i would probably go with a 20 gauge.  

This.  Something like a .243, or even a .223, would easily do what you're talking about.  And a bunch more stuff.   :2cents: