Hunting with a Handgun

I want to enter this field and have been looking at different models of handguns and different calibers but they have mostly felt a bit big for my medium hands.  I have fired a few large calibers and some of the round pistol grip types have wanted to rotate upwards in my hand.  I have narrowed the field a bit, the T/C Encore/Contender seems like it could be a good start, and can be barreled to shoot some of my current calibers so that's a plus.  Also like the Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I have been looking at these for quite some time, but I just can't get around how expensive these guns are, many above the $1k mark, just can't see this when many of my rifles have been half that, so it makes me wait for a good deal to come along. 

So my questions are: who here hunts with a hand gun, what make/model and how much do you have in it?

Smith Model 629 - 8 3/8" barrel.  I don't have anything in it as it was given to me by my Dad, but I think you could get one for around $700-800 if you look a bit.  I am partial to Smith's over Rugers, but they will both get the job done.

I want to enter this field and have been looking at different models of handguns and different calibers but they have mostly felt a bit big for my medium hands.....

Hey, you can go after bear with a Ruger LCP if you like, no need for a big honkin' heater. ;)

- OS

• Like 1

Hey, you can go after bear with a Ruger LCP if you like, no need for a big honkin' heater. ;)

- OS

Yes, I could.  I could of also shot at the Iraqis' with a bb gun if I so chose, but I also want to come back from the hunt.  We had a discussion about using a 300Blk on bear on another site, and I still stand by my opinion that it is better to use a bigger longer range caliber.  Though you may get away with it once or twice, I would not make a habit of it.

Did you hear about the woman in Alaska that stopped a bear atack with a .25 pistol? She s as shoot her husband in the keen cap......
I have been wanting to use my SW500 but can not get one in close anuff for my ability

- OS

Ruger Super Redhawk, caliber of your choice.

82 yds, at LBL. Best of all, right in front of my 80 yr old dad.

[url=http://s585.photobucket.com/user/HR_TR_2009/media/2012-11-0907Deer.jpg.html]2012-11-0907Deer.jpg[/URL]

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 4

I have used Ruger Super BlackHawk and Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. to hunt deer. The Super Redhawk comes with rings to fit top of barrel. Super Blackhawk, I use without scope.

Both had 7.5" barrel.

Edited by lshel
  • Like 1

Smith Model 629 - 8 3/8" barrel.  I don't have anything in it as it was given to me by my Dad, but I think you could get one for around $700-800 if you look a bit.  I am partial to Smith's over Rugers, but they will both get the job done.

That's my dream revolver.  I'd love to take a deer with one one day.

I would go with a super blackhawk or Redhawk or the s&w. Remember if you do use the gun for bear or hog and you have the t/c you will have to reload for a follow up shot if needed, instead of just pulling the trigger again.

Just something else to consider ;)
  • Like 2

Took this little guy yesterday with a Ruger Vaquero 44 mag. 4.62 barrel at 20yds.

Load was a 240gr. lead fp and 10.5 grs of unique. One shot right behind the front shoulder, a complete pass through. Have also used a Scoped SBH 44mag. and a 41 mag BH. the SBH I had for a few yrs. bought it with the scope already on it for $450, the 41 BH I bought before that not sure what I piad for it, but I'd say around $400, the Vaquero pictured here I just picked up about a month ago for $536 OTD.daddysphone301.jpg

• Like 4

I have a 44 Blackhawk.  I meant to hunt with it but never really got there.  I think it cost under 500 but that was in like 1990 :P

Still, a used revolver should not be that pricy.  You should be able to find a decent used gun for 500 "or so".    Some of the more exotic calibers and such may jack the price up... 500 blah blah is pricy.   A 44 should drop anything in TN, if you want a moose, you might need something even larger. 

Yea, am really leaning toward a wheel gun with a Ruger in the lead. I don't plan on hunting bear or boar with it but if the opportunity presented itself I would want the follow up shot(s). I also want to be able to mount a scope, my eyes are not what they were so I can use all the help I can get. At this point if I find a good deal it will decide for me. A $500 price point I can handle but all I've seen at that price are shorter barreled guns or ones that are iron sight only. A 44 mag or possibly a 357 should be plenty good enough. I have kicked around the thought at going 45lc/410 in something like a judge but there I keep looking at the circuit judge which is not a pistol, man so many guns so little money.

Back when you could book Hog trips in Catoosa Wildlife management my little brother carried a Ruger Blackhawk  and two years in a row he bagged a hog with 1 shot. Once from the ground and once from up a tree where the hog put him and that shot was straight down through top of hogs head and out the throat. Then they closed the hunts down. Now with that said I have several buddies that big game pistol hunt and several of them are shooting these. I noticed that no one mentioned them. Any particular reason why they have gone unmentioned in any posts?   Inquiring mind wants to know.

31508_2_sm.jpg     Taurus M44  44 Mag or 31571_1_sm.jpgM444 Raging Bull 44 mag.

• Like 1

Here is mine, have not hunted in years, but with all the posts and pics I just might have to pick it up again next year.

44 mag, SBH

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/pistols/SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg.html]SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg[/URL]

45 Colt, Iver Johnson

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/pistols/Uberti45Colt_zpsb2ff4320.jpg.html]Uberti45Colt_zpsb2ff4320.jpg[/URL]

and for ML

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/pistols/44BPHogLeg_zps7b310907.jpg.html]44BPHogLeg_zps7b310907.jpg[/URL]

Years ago I killed a doe at 35 yards with a gen2 Glock 17.

I'm thinking it's time to pick up a 10mm Glock...

Fer squirrels 'n such.

There is a guy on Castboolits that hunts with a Glock 10mm and this boolit.

190 gr HP

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/MiHec%20mold/401mehic-1_zps69d6879d.jpg.html]401mehic-1_zps69d6879d.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

I want to enter this field and have been looking at different models of handguns and different calibers but they have mostly felt a bit big for my medium hands.  I have fired a few large calibers and some of the round pistol grip types have wanted to rotate upwards in my hand.  I have narrowed the field a bit, the T/C Encore/Contender seems like it could be a good start, and can be barreled to shoot some of my current calibers so that's a plus.  Also like the Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I have been looking at these for quite some time, but I just can't get around how expensive these guns are, many above the $1k mark, just can't see this when many of my rifles have been half that, so it makes me wait for a good deal to come along. 

So my questions are: who here hunts with a hand gun, what make/model and how much do you have in it?

Who's selling Blackhawks for over a grand?