New gun safe question?

It's in, the wife likes it, which means I don't have to live in the garage with the safe, which makes me happy and now I can enjoy my new safe :up:
Installed my 3 light strip, and while putting my shelves in I noticed something plugged into the socket. It's LED lights in the door that come on when the door is open WOW nice surprise! I am SO glad I got the big'n!
  • Like 1

Glad you got one you like. I am ready to move to a bigger house and get a bigger safe (actually get a second, larger safe). The one I bought last year that was "going to be large enough for several years" ran out of space in about 6 months   :)   I can squeeze a couple more rifles in there but a bit tight and have to be mindful to avoid scratches.

Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1

When I bought the 24 gun safe, my wife actually told me to go with a larger safe. I wanted a larger safe, but had the same dilemma as you with where to place it. I did not want it in my garage, too visible from the road and already too much stuff out there. The only other option was in my office, which seemed too visible to guests. The 24 gun was just the right size to fit in my closet where I wanted it.

Next house, ideally I have this safe in an accessible to me location like my bedroom closet. And a larger safe in my designated area - basement or spare room depending on what we find. Whatever place we get I plan to move all of my reloading stuff inside as well.

My neighbor has two large (48 + gun) safes in his garage. They are both bolted all the way through the concrete floor and weigh about one ton each according to him, fully loaded. He has a couple dehumidifiers running constantly in the garage plus rods and desiccant packs in the safes and no rust issues. 

Edited by jonathon1289

When I bought the 24 gun safe, my wife actually told me to go with a larger safe. I wanted a larger safe, but had the same dilemma as you with where to place it. I did not want it in my garage, too visible from the road and already too much stuff out there. The only other option was in my office, which seemed too visible to guests. The 24 gun was just the right size to fit in my closet where I wanted it.

Next house, ideally I have this safe in an accessible to me location like my bedroom closet. And a larger safe in my designated area - basement or spare room depending on what we find. Whatever place we get I plan to move all of my reloading stuff inside as well.

My neighbor has two large (48 + gun) safes in his garage. They are both bolted all the way through the concrete floor and weigh about one ton each according to him, fully loaded. He has a couple dehumidifiers running constantly in the garage plus rods and desiccant packs in the safes and no rust issues. 

I actually looked at the 24 gun safes but it was obvious that if I was to utilize the shelves on the side of the divider for accessories, I'd be stuck with exactly the same amount of room for long guns. Long gun room was my problem so that was immediately out. I'd still love to have it in the house, but in the new house, I'll go through the trouble of putting supports under the floor for that.

I will probably run two rods in mine as well along with the silica gel just to overkill it. I have no way to heat and cool the garage and won't be able to change that while here. But I'm happy for now.

• 2 weeks later...

That trex board worked out really well. I'm outta shape! I'm still sore from movin that heavy $^#@ with just my buddy and I there. But I think the twisting, leaning, and bending while drilling had something to do with it too. Concrete has been down a long time so it ate through the two bits pretty fast and my heavy duty, high speed only drill helped that bit ruining along as well. Been easier if I'd rented a hammer drill but I didn't. I'm thinking a safe moving company may get called when we move LMAO!