New gun safe question?

My father owned a moving company for several years, so I have experience. I would have rather had help, but no one was available at the moment, and I had just spend all my money on a safe, so I couldn't afford movers.  :doh: 

Yep. All money goes to safe and guns. None for the hard stuff. That's what got me.

The Safe House did my last one. And I do truly hope it is my last one!

Just in case anyone else is in the market, these were $1299 yesterday, marked down to $999. They had 3 more left I think at the Smyrna location when I left this morning. Also the website says 608 lbs, the sticker on the side of the safe says 680 lbs. FYI.

I'm leaning more towards leaving it in the garage since I'm going to be adding quite a bit of weight to that 680. I bought the Cannon brand dehumidifier bar and also a can with the rechargeable pellets in it. I'm thinking that along with random bags of desiccant (spelling?) should be okay in the garage to keep humidity to a minimum?

Edited by rugerla1

That has happened to me soooo often. It stinks.

What about going and talking to the manager? Might be worthwhile.

I actually bought it today, so I got the $999 price. It seems like I read somewhere that TSC has a 14 day grace period if you buy something and it goes on sale within that time, they'll give you the difference back? I'd have to ask to see if it's still that way though. But thankfully, I got it after it went on sale.

I actually bought it today, so I got the $999 price. It seems like I read somewhere that TSC has a 14 day grace period if you buy something and it goes on sale within that time, they'll give you the difference back? I'd have to ask to see if it's still that way though. But thankfully, I got it after it went on sale.

That's great. Guess I should re-read the whole thread before posting. I might know what's going on.

Ha. Me...knowing what's going on. Sure.

• Like 1

Moving safes is 80% tools and techniques, 20% muscle. I've moved many many safes, including a few 500 lb. and one 800 lb. safes, all by myself, over a hundred miles, including steps and bends. With the right knowledge and gear you can do quite a bit safely and easily. Just ask the Egyptians who built the pyramids...

OK...find me an Egyptian who helped build the pyramids and I'll find out.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone else is in the market, these were $1299 yesterday, marked down to $999. They had 3 more left I think at the Smyrna location when I left this morning. Also the website says 608 lbs, the sticker on the side of the safe says 680 lbs. FYI.

I'm leaning more towards leaving it in the garage since I'm going to be adding quite a bit of weight to that 680. I bought the Cannon brand dehumidifier bar and also a can with the rechargeable pellets in it. I'm thinking that along with random bags of desiccant (spelling?) should be okay in the garage to keep humidity to a minimum?

Thank you for thinking about the weight of the stuff inside the safe. 

Controlling humidity inside the safe is easy, it's outside you need to think about.  I'd plan for some sort of vapor barrier between the concrete and the safe. 

Thank you for thinking about the weight of the stuff inside the safe. 

Controlling humidity inside the safe is easy, it's outside you need to think about.  I'd plan for some sort of vapor barrier between the concrete and the safe. 

During this whole ordeal I had two decisions to make:

Medium, but bigger than the one I have, or big one?

Garage or in the house?

Got the first part done, now I'm flipping back and forth. I don't know why, it just seems like I'd be happier with them in the house. If I end up going with the garage I will get a stall pad from TSC. Won't crush or get mushy, and for $50 to keep moisture off the bottom of the safe it's worth every penny.  I've already got a place cleared out in the house so I reckon we'll give it a try and see if it goes. If not, I'll put it in the garage. I'll truly get to enjoy having the safe once it's moved in and I'm loading it up :)

• Like 1

Think about which way your garage faces.  Will it be visible to anyone who drives by if the garage door is open?  If so, can you conceal it?  A friend just throws an old bed sheet over his, it helps keep dust out too.    I don't know how full your garage is, but it would sure be annoying to have to climb over and/or move stuff every time I wanted to open it. 

If you put it in the house... can you put it somewhere house guests (or the UPS guy) won't immediately see it?  With that much weight, I'd definitely add some support to the sub-floor and put some sort of bearing plate under it to help distribute the load over a larger area.  What type of floors do you have and what condition are they in?  If you think the flooring/carpet might need to be replaced, you're going to have to move the safe to do it.  Just a few things to consider.

Think about which way your garage faces.  Will it be visible to anyone who drives by if the garage door is open?  If so, can you conceal it?  A friend just throws an old bed sheet over his, it helps keep dust out too.    I don't know how full your garage is, but it would sure be annoying to have to climb over and/or move stuff every time I wanted to open it. 

If you put it in the house... can you put it somewhere house guests (or the UPS guy) won't immediately see it?  With that much weight, I'd definitely add some support to the sub-floor and put some sort of bearing plate under it to help distribute the load over a larger area.  What type of floors do you have and what condition are they in?  If you think the flooring/carpet might need to be replaced, you're going to have to move the safe to do it.  Just a few things to consider.

For garage placement, think about this if you have the room to do it. 

If you can use a corner, and have enough room to do it, frame in a room large enough to hide it from prying eyes, and use it for all storage of you related items.

Just a thought.

It actually faces the road but the big garage door is the only way to get in. So they'd have to move my extra vehicle to gain access through a garage door with log chains wrapped around the tracks on both sides. I know they could bust through it but that would make a lot of noise and take away from the passersby thinking they were supposed to be in there.

I was looking at some of my tools in the garage tonight to check for anything with rust from the temp fluctuating, while clearing a possible spot for the safe. Even old pieces of metal to see if anything was noticeable and I didn't find anything that stood out. So it may be okay especially with the precautions I'd be taking. As mentioned before I'd probably have to worry more about the outside of the safe than the inside. A bed sheet to keep nosey people from seeing it would be fine with me also along with ladders and such propped up against the side to break up the outline.

As for the house, it's a back spare room with a spot cleared already in the corner of an outside wall with support from the blocks under the house. I am going to look tomorrow to see how far apart the supports are because a guy at work said his were 24" centers. I thought DANG! That would suck! I guess I could block it up like you said, but that also brings up the planned move sometime next year and if it's worth it when I can slap it in the garage. I honestly wish I only had one place it would go and make it easy ha ha.

Edited by rugerla1

For garage placement, think about this if you have the room to do it. 

If you can use a corner, and have enough room to do it, frame in a room large enough to hide it from prying eyes, and use it for all storage of you related items.

Just a thought.

If we were staying here, that's exactly what I'd do and run a vent to it off the heat a/c and eliminate a lot of the issues of garage kept safes. But not going to be here long enough to do that. If plans change, then I may go this route after all.

Your own tools can be used against you to break into your safe. If its in the garage where most people keep their tools (Grinder, sawzall, torch, pry bars, etc). Most thieves don't bring extra tools to get into a safe but if you leave it laying there for them, well?

Your own tools can be used against you to break into your safe. If its in the garage where most people keep their tools (Grinder, sawzall, torch, pry bars, etc). Most thieves don't bring extra tools to get into a safe but if you leave it laying there for them, well?

This is another thing that keeps popping up as well. The peace of mind of being in the house is winning right now.

I wouldn't have any brand of gun safe made today compared to my 1992 AMSEC 6030. All that I have looked at the last few years have a composite door, whatever the hell that means and gauge sheet metal bodies. Mine has a solid 3/8" steel door, 100% welded 1/4" body and 14 1 1/4" steel locking bolts. The best $1100.00 I've ever spent.

Bill

Edited by BCR#1

I wouldn't have any brand of gun safe made today compared to my 1992 AMSEC 6030. All that I have looked at the last few years have a composite door, whatever the hell that means and gauge sheet metal bodies. Mine has a solid 3/8" steel door, 100% welded 1/4" body and 14 1 1/4" steel locking bolts. The best $1100.00 I've ever spent.

Bill

They don't bild them like they use to
  • Like 1

They do. You just gotta pay for it.

Ain't that the truth, and I can't afford that right now. This is actually a huge jump over what I have now so I'm happier than a pig in slop. 

I've been on the phone with one of my best friends talking about my decision making thoughts. He went through the same thoughts, flipping back and forth. He ended up putting it in the garage and bolting it down. He said at first he hated knowing they were out there, but is really happy that he did it and glad because it's bolted down to concrete. He also didn't really like all the weight over a crawlspace even though people do it all the time. 

It's Friday night and I'm getting the safe tomorrow so I'm going to put it in the garage, bolt it down for security, and go overkill on humidity control, and probably be glad I did after it's done. If somewhere down the road I just can't take it, I'll buy the boys more food and we'll move it again  :up:  (If they want to ha ha)

I really want to thank all of you for your input and putting up with my indecisiveness!  :surrender:

Been following and I'm likely will do the same as you by having it in the garage. I have both an attached garage and a stand alone.

I'd be very interested in what you do to prevent moisture.

This is what I have for right now.

Plan on getting a Golden Rod as mentioned here and every other forum I've been reading but this will do until then:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-safe-inc-gunsaver-dehumidifier-rod-102042399--1

Along with this rechargeable:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-safe-inc-silica-gel-dehumidifier-102042299--1

These will be placed in corners of the safe:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/stack-on-dessicant-pack-of-4

And for beginning light source:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/stack-on-motion-sensitive-3-light-directional-led-light-103965799--1