New gun safe question?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my safe this week. I have the current one (10 gun fire safe at 200ish pounds) inside. But being as how the weight inside on standard floors seems to be important, I'm trying to pick between several with weight being the issue. I could put it in the garage, but definitely need a way to control moisture. Each of the ones I'm looking at have plugs inside them already. 

What weight should I stop considering would be okay for inside the house? One I really like is 570lbs but was thinking that may be too heavy and have to go in the garage. The other one is 430lbs, would that be okay inside?

Edited by rugerla1
I did some reading on this last year when I got my new safe. (Edited, see update below).

So your safe, even though heavy, is spread across a larger area and falls under the floor load.

What do you mean by floating floor? Just hardwood that is not secured or is there a gap with the floor floating over joists? If over joists you may be able to go under and brace it up.

Edit - scratch that first paragraph. Looks like residental is 40psf (pounds per square foot). http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-139375.html Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1

My safe is around 900 lbs and it is inside on my floor with no issues.  A lot depends on where in your house you want it and what kind of support is under it.   Can you add support under where you want it as well?   Moisture is a safe's #1 enemy in my opinion.  I would put two safes inside before I put one big one in an uncontrolled climate.

• Like 3

I did some reading on this last year when I got my new safe. (Edited, see update below).

So your safe, even though heavy, is spread across a larger area and falls under the floor load.

What do you mean by floating floor? Just hardwood that is not secured or is there a gap with the floor floating over joists? If over joists you may be able to go under and brace it up.

Edit - scratch that first paragraph. Looks like residental is 40psf (pounds per square foot). http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-139375.html

I went back and changed that to "standard floor". I was typing fast than I was thinking, sorry. 

My safe is around 900 lbs and it is inside on my floor with no issues.  A lot depends on where in your house you want it and what kind of support is under it.   Can you add support under where you want it as well?   Moisture is a safe's #1 enemy in my opinion.  I would put two safes inside before I put one big one in an uncontrolled climate.

As much as I'd love a 900 lb safe, probably out of my price range. The safe will be against the outer wall, in a corner. I will be using moisture control even if in the house just because I won't have to worry about it. I don't know if putting a thick piece of plywood bigger than the base of the safe would help distribute the weight but I'm okay with doing that as well.

IMO if you do not live in cheap trailer made in china a 700 -800 pound  safe is not an issue. I went with 2 700 pound safes because  they are easier to move  than one 1400 pounder. rods work great to control moisture.

• Like 1

IMO if you do not live in cheap trailer made in china a 700 -800 pound  safe is not an issue. I went with 2 700 pound safes because  they are easier to move  than one 1400 pounder. rods work great to control moisture.

Thanks, so I guess now just pick which one I really like the most. I will look into the rods, I've heard a lot of people talk good about them. Then getting it in the house will be the next hurdle :)
I've installed many gun safes in homes and in garages, both detached and attached. Never once had a rust or corrosion issue in any of the safes.

Always wipe all metal surfaces with a fresh silicone rag, or better yet with a light coat of Eezox before storing.

Always use a dehumidifier rod inside the bottom of the safe, properly sized for the safe.

Always install several desiccant bags, pouches, boxes, etc. that are properly sized for the safe, and recharge them at least once a year, or whenever the color-changing beads indicate.

Avoid moisture absorbent fabrics, cloths, gun rags, cases, etc.

Open the safe as little as possible, but if you must open it often then recharge the desiccant more often.
  • Like 3

I bought an 880 pound Liberty Fat Boy from the Nashville Safe House a few years ago. Fortunately I did my measuring before it was delivered, as the doors and door jams both had to come off before it would pass through.

Any wooden steps will probably be your weakest area, and...

Rule #1 on buying a safe: Always buy one much bigger than you think you need. Good luck.

• Like 2

As folks have said, it depends on a lot of things... type of construction and location within the room are the big concerns. 

If you're on a crawlspace (or 2nd floor) on an outside wall that's supported directly to the foundation, then you can likely double the 40psf rating with no issues.  Me being the nerdy engineer type, I'd add support under it regardless, as I did with my aquarium. 

If the safe has feet, they'll likely sink into normal flooring to some degree.  Adding some sort of bearing plate between the feet and the floor can prevent that.

If you put it on a bare concrete slab, you must have some sort of vapor barrier between the concrete and the safe.  Else, water will wick up out of the concrete and cause the bottom of the safe to corrode.  Sometimes the easiest thing is to just leave the safe on the shipping pallet to create an air gap to the floor.

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I think I've settled on this one. It's in stock at the store so I can look it over well and isn't too big for moving around and into the new house when we move next year. I wish it was 12ga instead of 14ga but I think it will serve me better than getting one that's too big.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts5932-gun-safe-camo

Good choice. It's a good, standard size,...beginner safe.

Yes, that's what I said. You will find out shortly, I promise you.

I just hope you didn't say to yourself or to your wife..."Honey, that's all the safe I need or ever will."

• Like 1

Good choice. It's a good, standard size,...beginner safe.

Yes, that's what I said. You will find out shortly, I promise you.

I just hope you didn't say to yourself or to your wife..."Honey, that's all the safe I need or ever will."

I think I will be happier than I am now for aure.

I was supposed to tell her? :rofl:
She's getting something too and is quite aware that any safe I get will never be big enough.

I think I've settled on this one. It's in stock at the store so I can look it over well and isn't too big for moving around and into the new house when we move next year. I wish it was 12ga instead of 14ga but I think it will serve me better than getting one that's too big.

Nice choice. And there's no such thing as too big (that's what she said).
  • Like 1

Nice choice. And there's no such thing as too big (that's what she said).

Yep, but I'm used to hearing it LOL

I keep going back to this one but not sure the extra height and weight to deal with when moving it is worth the extra $500.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts7240dlx-tall--wide-body-gun-safe-48-gun-capacity

I like it but think I'm just wanting instead of needing. Also the 40" width may keep me from making the turn from the hallway into the room. If it ends up in the living room, I might end up in there with it!

That's very close to the one I bought from the Tractor Supply. Cannon shipped it to my house and the freight company was good enough to roll it into my garage though it said curb drop off. I then hired 2 Men and a Truck to unbox it, remove it from the pallet and put into a back bedroom of my home. It took 3 guys to do it but they did a great job. The price was $125 and it took them a little over an hour. It was worth every penny to me. I knew I couldn't move it and didn't want any friends to get hurt either. When I called them, they said they usually do a couple of them a week, so they know what their doing and are geared for it.

Oh yeah...they will even pick one up for you where ever you buy it and do the same thing. It does cost more though.

Edited by Randall53

That's very close to the one I bought from the Tractor Supply. Cannon shipped it to my house and the freight company was good enough to roll it into my garage though it said curb drop off. I then hired 2 Men and a Truck to unbox it, remove it from the pallet and put into a back bedroom of my home. It took 3 guys to do it but they did a great job. The price was $125 and it took them a little over an hour. It was worth every penny to me. I knew I couldn't move it and didn't want any friends to get hurt either. When I called them, they said they usually do a couple of them a week, so they know what their doing and are geared for it.

They have the Heritage Fortress safes too but not in the store so I would have to do like you did and have it delivered to the house. That was something I didn't want to do, due to nosey neighbors. All the neighbors to the left of me are like me, the ones to the right are not. I just didn't want a big truck pulling up and everyone watching it be unloaded with a huge picture of a safe on the side. I have a couple of buddies that are going to help me Saturday so hopefully it won't be too bad since it's only (Only right lol) 430 lbs. I will have 4 wheeled dollies from work and hopefully they do most of the work.

I like your style.

Good. But risky.

Indeed it is. Somehow "But honey, you can keep some of your stuff in here too" either won't work or will leave me the same amount of room for my stuff as I have in my small safe now.....hmmmm, I'm really gonna have to get her something NICE! 

They have the Heritage Fortress safes too but not in the store so I would have to do like you did and have it delivered to the house. That was something I didn't want to do, due to nosey neighbors. All the neighbors to the left of me are like me, the ones to the right are not. I just didn't want a big truck pulling up and everyone watching it be unloaded with a huge picture of a safe on the side. I have a couple of buddies that are going to help me Saturday so hopefully it won't be too bad since it's only (Only right lol) 430 lbs. I will have 4 wheeled dollies from work and hopefully they do most of the work.

430 pounds and a few guys should be a piece of cake. I moved my 290 pound safe up to my old second floor apartment by myself with an appliance dolly.

430 pounds and a few guys should be a piece of cake. I moved my 290 pound safe up to my old second floor apartment by myself with an appliance dolly.

Yeah, I don't think it should be too bad. I'd really like to take it up the back stairs/deck, but it's seen it's better days so may end up having to come through the front door. Will make it a lot easier since I can back my truck up to the porch which has no railings and ease it off. Then wheel it in the front door and down the hall way.

Lord Bless you TDR. I've moved my last safe.

My old butt and bad back confirmed that last summer in moving one from here to there, here at home.

My father owned a moving company for several years, so I have experience. I would have rather had help, but no one was available at the moment, and I had just spend all my money on a safe, so I couldn't afford movers.  :doh: 

Moving safes is 80% tools and techniques, 20% muscle. I've moved many many safes, including a few 500 lb. and one 800 lb. safes, all by myself, over a hundred miles, including steps and bends. With the right knowledge and gear you can do quite a bit safely and easily. Just ask the Egyptians who built the pyramids...
  • Like 4