when did I become a gun snoob

none

Ok so my wife wants a practical 12 Guage. We were looking at the 870 Express in what they were calling synthetic to me it just looked like cheap plastic with Pitts groves and casting marks. To me for the price the fit and finish should at least be what I would call service grade. Seems to be it should not look like it was poorly assembled.

I think wcd just invented a new word:

snoob

noun - derogatory

1. a person who is new to the shooting sports yet insists on the need for high-end professional firearms and gear.
2. a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur of firearms despite limited experience.

Origin

First used on web forum Tennessee Gun Owners by member wcd. A combination of "snob" and "n00b".

Examples for snoob
  • After shooting skeet for the first time with his boss, Jerry sold his kidney in Mexico and bought a Krieghoff K80 Competition. What a snoob.
  • That snoob shot his cousin's Ed Brown 1911. Now he thinks he's too good for my blinged out Taurus 1911 with the gold trigger.
  • A snoob says: "You can't use an AR with an HBAR to clear rooms. I went to a class in Vegas and that's what the SEALRangerGreenBeretDelta instructor told me."
Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 8

Nobody ever wore out a shotgun, so don't worry about that.

Lessee, yer almost right. I wore the barrel locking spring out join my Franchi O/U 12 ga. I had an old 20 ga Damascus barrel SxS that was so worn out it rattled. My old '37 Stevens 311 SxS  wore out it firing pin springs. 

I would't consider owning a used Rem 1100 being a snoob. I've owned 4-5 of them over the last 40 years but I tended toward SxS and O/U's. I hope that doesn't make me a snob though. The most I ever sold my used one's was for $275 but I hear they might be up to $400 or so used. A friend went to Indiana as was on a shooting team and they got ahold of Remington to let them test some 1100's. They sent them some and told the team shoot try and shoot one to destruction.They shot non-stop for a little over 24 hours, putting well over 5k shells through the gun without cleaning it.  No issues. My own 1100's never really failed me except for  one I bought used had the rubber o-ring. If i remember right I bought 5 for a few bucks. Other than that they never broke.....ever.

You might think about one of those....

You may never have a need to buy another shotgun and they have little recoil since they're semi's.

Lp 

Edited to add you might spend a month checking the local pawn shops for 1100's. They're normally older and have wood stocks (pretty)...

and unless someone dented up the barrel they will run forever.  You can probably find one in the $300-400 range in 12 ga,  and if you get lucky you

might find on in 20a for the lil lady although the 12's really ain't bad with recoil. A lot of the high school shotgun teams gals use them.

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

I don’t know what a gun snoob is, (biggrin.gif) but the express is a $300 shotgun for those that want cheap.If you want better fit and finish look at the Police or Wingmaster models.

Thanks I think we are going to look in that direction. Seems to me a little extra spent on better quality is going to be well worth it

I would't consider owning a used Rem 1100 being a snoob. I've owned 4-5 of them over the last 40 years but I tended toward SxS and O/U's. I hope that doesn't make me a snob though. The most I ever sold my used one's was for $275 but I hear they might be up to $400 or so used. A friend went to Indiana as was on a shooting team and they got ahold of Remington to let them test some 1100's. They sent them some and told the team shoot try and shoot one to destruction.They shot non-stop for a little over 24 hours, putting well over 5k shells through the gun without cleaning it.  No issues. My own 1100's never really failed me except for  one I bought used had the rubber o-ring. If i remember right I bought 5 for a few bucks. Other than that they never broke.....ever.

I quit shooting pumps a long time ago (Getting old sucks). I recently decided I needed a semi-auto shotgun for a field toy. I have my eye on that 1100 Competition Synthetic; my friends will think I’m a snob. biggrin.gif

Go to Weatherby's website. Their shotguns are Turkish made but of very nice quality.  I have put my little 12g pump through the mill.   It's fitted and finished better than a lot of Remington's present made turds.  

You can get a nice 12g pump with wood furniture for less than $500.  

I bought the shorter home defense model but if I needed one to hunt with, I would not hesitate to buy another one.  They stand behind their stuff too.  

I will say to check out the Benelli Novas. There is or was one on here for $350 that was a lot of gun for the money. It has a few cool features that you won't find elsewhere, but you don't need to use any if them if you don't want too and your still left with a great gun.

I think wcd just invented a new word:

snoob

noun - derogatory

1. a person who is new to the shooting sports yet insists on the need for high-end professional firearms and gear.
2. a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur of firearms despite limited experience.

Origin

First used on web forum Tennessee Gun Owners by member wcd. A combination of "snob" and "n00b".

Examples for snoob
  • After shooting skeet for the first time with his boss, Jerry sold his kidney in Mexico and bought a Krieghoff K80 Competition. What a snoob.
  • That snoob shot his cousin's Ed Brown 1911. Now he thinks he's too good for my blinged out Taurus 1911 with the gold trigger.
  • A snoob says: "You can't use an AR with an HBAR to clear rooms. I went to a class in Vegas and that's what the SEALRangerGreenBeretDelta instructor told me."

Dang it, you beat me to the punch! But your detailed alliteration was well worth it! :usa: