Where do you mount your red dot on the rail? (AR)

From what I have read it may make no difference if you mount your dot further forwards than back but I'd like to hear what you guys do and why. I realize it makes no difference whatsoever on POI. I am currently just running a micro red dot with magpul BUIS and don't plan to add a magnifier so rail space is no matter.

I didn't have much room left, here is a pic of my Colt M4 and my Sig M400:

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/A41_zps1f1e4c65.jpg.html]A41_zps1f1e4c65.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/SIG1_zps39af71b7.jpg.html]SIG1_zps39af71b7.jpg[/URL]

Haha I think my problem is a little OCD. The Sparc is so tiny it doesn't look quite "right" that far up. I don't particularly care how it looks but I'm the type if there is a right way I want it that way. Vortex has them all mounted on the second cut back from the front of the receiver so I may just do that to satisfy my brain.  :rofl:

Also when I mentioned magnifiers I got to looking at the Vortex brand and now I think I want one so I may have to move it all the way up. :up:

Edited by maroonandwhite

I mount my Aimpoints as close to my eye as I can.

Folks confuse Field of View with Field of Regard

The closer the optic is to your "aiming" eye, the more targets can be presented directly within the view of the optic (Field of Regard) and the faster you can transition to follow on engagements.  Your other "non-aiming" eye is still open and helps to complete the total Field of View.

It took me a while to understand this because early on we in the military were running our optics far forward on our uppers.  I realized it was because we didn't trust all these new red-dots (especially early EOTechs) and we always had our BUIS in the up position because we just knew that red-dot would shutoff at the worst possible moment.  This forced the optic forward to clear the BUIS - - - and that became just the way we did it.

Here is an great paper on concept of mounting the optic toward the rear.  FIGHTING THROUGH THE RING By Erik Lund

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/14815956/fighting20through20the20ring20by20erik20lund

I like to have one rail slot visible between the backup sights and the rear of the red dot.  The exact placing differs between an Aimpoint and an EOTech, but the base of the sight comes out to being slightly behind the mag well.

It works well for me, but I'm not so fixated that I'll say somebody else is wrong for doing it another way if they can shoot well enough.

• Like 1