Rem 870 models

Looking to purchase my first 12 gauge.  Don't want to spend a lot so i've been looking at the Rem 870.  What is the difference between the standard 870 express, super magnum, tactical, and police models?  

I know the tactical has the rail and muzzle device.  Anything change in the 870 design/materials over the years as far as quality in parts, i.e, plastic components vs steel?

Hoping to take advantage of the black friday specials coming up and find one then. 

• Like 1
Guest StorminMormon
I bought an 870 Express from Academy in 06 and it had park finish and plastic trigger guard. I believe the 870P is made on a separate line and utilizes all metal construction.
Wingmaster and Police versions are all metal

Magnum means it takes up to 3" shells

Super Magnum means it takes up to 3 1/2" shells

Tactical is just a dressed up Express model.

The Express is an economy version, comparable to a Mossberg 500. The Police is more comparable to the Mossberg 590.

If you dont mind spending the money, get a Police Magnum for tactical/defense use or a Wingmaster for hunting.
  • Like 1

I own the 870 12ga Express I believe

18.5 barrel, no choke what so ever.  Cylinder bore.

In theory, you will hit everything in a hallway in the middle of the night with it.

I believe it is 6 plus 1.  The tube is the same length give or take maybe a half inch of the barrel

It handles 2.5 and 3 inch shells.

The super Magnum is going to handle 3inch and 3.5 inch shells

The tactical, well it is just Tacticool and will cost you an extra 100 bucks for that extra cool factor.

I don't know about the police models, back when I brought mine I looked them up but don't recall.

I do know you can buy and change the barrels and a ton of other accessories.

If you decide to change barrels, keep the same chamber size as the reset of the gun (receiver is designed for).

I read a story where a guy has the express 2.5 and 3 inch chamber decided to put a super magnum barrel on it.  I believe he said well it worked if you didn't mine loading each round as the receiver did not handle 3.5 in shells.  I hope that makes sense.

I got my wife  20ga 870 so that all the controls would be in the exact same place so she could use either with the same muscle memory.

Myself I like the location of the safety on the 870 perfect for the trigger finger to hit while going to the trigger.  (same as my hunting rifle).

I did look at some Mossberg but I didn't like the safety on top.  I found it funny that some of their cheaper models had the same closer to the trigger though.  To me, the hammer belongs on top, not the safety, but I am sure some will disagree and that is OK too.

Edited by vontar

Personally I would look HARD at the Maverick 88. It is IDENTICAL to the Mossberg 500/590 except it has a trigger guard mounted safety, like the 870, rather than the tang mounted safety. The tang mounted safety makes use with a pistol grip or folding stock very awkward. Something else, the Maverick 88 uses standard Mossberg barrels. And finally, the bolt of the Mossberg locks into the barrel so you have 100% steel encircling the shell in case something bad happens.

You can pick up a Maverick 88 at most Walmarts for $199. They generally sell two versions, a wood stocked one with a long barrel and a synthetic version with a short, tactical style, barrel.

And anything that will fit a Mossberg will fit the Maverick 88 so there are plenty of aftermarket support for them. It IS the best bang for the buck in the shotgun market.

• Like 2