Selecting a muzzle loader bullet/powder charge combination

This was my first year hunting with a ML, and coincidentally my first ever deer taken :).  While my shot was good, I was not please with the results of the bullet, basically a clean through shot with little to no expansion.

I'm shooting a Traditions Buckstalker inline ML and I was using 100 grains of powder (IMR White Hots, pellets) with a 245 grain PowerBelt copper hollow point bullet.

After getting the rifle and shooting it for the first time this is the combination I started with and was getting good 2.5" - 3" grouping at 50 yards.  

My question is should I increase the powder charge or select a different bullet or both?  

Any suggestions on a preferred bullet for a .50 cal ML?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been pretty pleased with 250 gr Barnes Expander MZ over 100 grains BlackHorn 209 in my CVA Acura.  Nice groupings out to 200yds, unbelievably easy cleanup.  Never shot PBs (had too many friends talk about lack of expansion with  them), but also had good results with Hornady SSTs and Barnes Split-Fires over that load, too.

Sometime chit happens, but I've killed a LOT of deer with a 295 grain Powerbelt. Sometimes they don't really act like they've been hit, but I've yet to lose one.

My father killed the largest Tennessee whitetail I've ever seen this year with a 45 cal Powerbelt. It was dead right there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.