Thumbhole stock AK 47.

jtmaze

My wife's brother came over today and brought his thumb hole ak. My wife has always told me about the AK47 that his dad had bought for him the year he was born. I have only met my wife's ex stepdad one time. Her brother got this rifle for his 18th birthday. A NIB thumb hole ak that shoots great. I have never held a <100 round ak in my life. I am an idiot and didn't get and pics but will try and get some up later. I am not an AR/AK guy but this gun felt/shot really good. All of the furniture was perfect and I felt bad shooting it.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They imported a bunch of Bulgarian SLRs with synthetic thumbhole stocks (and excellent barrels made by Steyr) back in the mid 90s.  They went for about 3 bills.  I wish I would have bought one.  Heck, I wish I would have bought a few dozen. 

Yeah, the early-mid 90's were really the golden age of AK's in my opinion; crime bill not-withstanding.  Could be Egyptian, Romanian, Chinese, Hungarian, Yugoslavian,  or Bulgarian.  Any of these would have been found at gun shows/shops with thumbhole stocks during that time period.  The bulgarians would have typically had the black synthetic stocks and handguards while the romanians had the skelotonized stocks similar to what the PSL uses.  Egyptian will be brown/honey-brown laminate w/ metal butt plate and trap door for cleaning kit.  Chinese will be orange-ish wood and I think most had a rubber butt pad if it was Norinco; other options if Polytec.  Hungarians usually used a blonde wood that always felt very smooth like it was sanded very well.  Yugo's were sort of all over the place and came in several different options on the stock; could be black synthetic or wood that ranged from blonde to brown in color.

'96 could be any number of variants sporting a thumbhole.  What color/finish was the wood?  Brownish?  Blonde?  Synthetic?  Orange-ish?

Wish that I had my 90's era MAK90 back.... The stock on mine was real orange-ish too... I reshaped the thumbhole to be ambi and refinished all the wood a darker color.

Yeah, the early-mid 90's were really the golden age of AK's in my opinion; crime bill not-withstanding.

Indeed.  But it was a really, really frustrating time to be a broke college kid just getting into guns.  :ugh:

It was frustrating then... it's heartbreaking now to see what those guns are bringing.

Orangish on the wood. I ask him to send me some pics but he hasn't. It was a real shooter. I haven't shot an AK in 15 years. Really enjoyed it. I think it was a Mak 90.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was organgish wood, it is most likely a Mak90. Chu woods is fairly light and has a grain that looks kinda like a cross between bamboo and pine.
Blonde or dark brown and it is probably a Bulgarian SLR