dry fire drills

Same that have been mentioned really. I also have a handful of snapcaps in every caliber I practice my tap, rack, bang drills with. Those also work really well to throw into a magazine with live ammo on a live range day to practice FTF's with
  • Like 1

Obviously it goes without saying to take all the usual safety precautions....

Having said that your dry fire drills can be just about anything you want them to be. If simply improving your shooting skills is what you are looking for then there are a couple of books by Ben Stoeger that have simple drills (draw and 4 to body, reload, 2 to head or turn and draw and shoot  2 to head on 3 different targets, etc). A simple , more "street realistic" drill might be draw and fire 2 to body move to cover and fire 2 to head, scan and proactive reload. Or if you don't have much room to move do it standing in a doorway and simply draw, side step to use the doorway as cover, fire 3 or 4 and do a proactive reload. Your only limits are your imagination!

slow is smooth and smooth is fast.  Make sure you have perfect technique.  Perfect practice.  Then use a shot timer with par times for presentation.  Be slow and perfect in reholstering and after action drills.  Par timer is also good for reloads and malfunction drills.

The hardest part about dry fire practice is making/keeping it interesting. Trust me, I know - I love dry fire practice, do it 3-5 nights a week for over a year+ now, but it is hard to keep it entertaining. Really seeing the results in live fire is the only thing that keeps me devoted to dry fire.

Getting a shot timer really makes things a lot more entertaining.

This is useful    http://personaldefensetraining.com/dryfire-drills/

I use it a lot too.

Edited by miller_man
I know it's expensive, but the Laserlyte laser cartridge is what really got me hooked on dry fire practice. Seeing that little red dot splash on faces on TV or objects around the room really does it for me. I got the laser activated target later and that made it fresh and fun all over again. Even later my darling wife got me the tip over cans to go with it. It's every bit as fun as going to the range.