Homemade Leather Sheath

BigK

I traded for this awesome knife a few weeks ago (thank you again, Gran Torino). I wanted to try and do it justice with an equally cool sheath. So, I prowled around Google images and found something I liked and copied it.

0891b5c2123b047f6a1dc6d88864910d.jpg

Due to the size of the knife and the shape of the blade, I picked something designed for scout carry. I put shock cord on the retention strap, so the strap swings away when drawn from behind my back.

4a24cdaa3ac301e7aa9b4a28da12130d.jpg

I used 15-17 oz leather on the sheath and the harness and 5-6 oz leather on the pouch. The sheath without the harness is almost 3/4" thick, so it's quite monstrous, which I kind of like.

4bc02069755d715468a00ed5139130cb.jpg

No clue what I'll keep in the pouch, but that big space between the straps were begging for one to be added, so I obliged.

This is my first crack at making a knife sheath. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I wish I'd taken more time on my edge work. Anyway, I'd love to hear what y'all think, good or bad. Comments, suggestions, and gripes are more than welcome. It may help me do better next time.

• Like 4
  • Authorized Vendor

I traded for this awesome knife a few weeks ago (thank you again, Gran Torino). I wanted to try and do it justice with an equally cool sheath. So, I prowled around Google images and found something I liked and copied it.

0891b5c2123b047f6a1dc6d88864910d.jpg

Due to the size of the knife and the shape of the blade, I picked something designed for scout carry. I put shock cord on the retention strap, so the strap swings away when drawn from behind my back.

4a24cdaa3ac301e7aa9b4a28da12130d.jpg

I used 15-17 oz leather on the sheath and the harness and 5-6 oz leather on the pouch. The sheath without the harness is almost 3/4" thick, so it's quite monstrous, which I kind of like.

4bc02069755d715468a00ed5139130cb.jpg

No clue what I'll keep in the pouch, but that big space between the straps were begging for one to be added, so I obliged.

This is my first crack at making a knife sheath. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I wish I'd taken more time on my edge work. Anyway, I'd love to hear what y'all think, good or bad. Comments, suggestions, and gripes are more than welcome. It may help me do better next time.

Dude....that's friggin' awesome :up:  :up:  You made that? First attempt? Congratulations.....I like it. I have a certain knife on the drawing board that may need a leather sheath down the road. I was just telling the missus that  this morning. I'll be giving you a call. ;)

Dude....that's friggin' awesome :up:  :up:  You made that? First attempt? Congratulations.....I like it. I have a certain knife on the drawing board that may need a leather sheath down the road. I was just telling the missus that  this morning. I'll be giving you a call. ;)

Yep. Glad I will be able to say I knew you guys before you got famous. If Willis wasn't keeping me broke with those dang switchblades, I would be after both of you right now.

I feel like one of the cool kids because I got to see this before it hit TGO.

BigK's handywork is legit though. We whipped up a crossbreed style kydex/leather IWB holster for my USPc .45 in a matter of hours (and most of that was staining time). I learned enough that I'm pretty certain I could pull it off solo. Ever thankful for the knowledge transfer bro.

• Like 1

Where's the kitchen sink? That sheath has everything else. It must be inside the pouch. Lol!!

Hope you don't get offended, I may totally rip off that design this winter. I've got a few knives to make sheaths for and I LOVE that thing.

Please do, just don't tell the guys at Hedgehog Leatherworks. They want $300 for theirs with pouch and firesteel.