licensing question

I have already bought my hunting fishing license this year. I have decided that I want to get a Sportsmans license. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to a Sportsmans license and my hunting fishing license purchase be credited towards the Sportsmans license? I would just ask a licensing agent but I have gotten a great deal of false information from them in the past.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with TWRA, they will not credit earlier bought licenses.  It's difficult sometimes to get the money for a sportsman's license when I start fishing in the spring as that has always been a lean time of year for me financially.  Things changed this year and I will now just be buying all of my licenses at once.  Now I must go bite the bullet and get types 9,11, and 94 and that should get me through the rest of this season. 

I wish someone had bought one for me when I was under 3 years old.

Aint that the truth.  The lifetime sportsman license for a child under three is the best deal going.  Of course I found out about it after both of my kids were to old.

Aint that the truth.  The lifetime sportsman license for a child under three is the best deal going.  Of course I found out about it after both of my kids were to old.

Yup, got one for my son for his 3rd birthday.  We didn't get one for our daughter, but she expressing more interest in hunting than he is right now.   Oh well, got to get my daughter in for her hunters safety course.

Got it for both my boys.  I'm very thankful I was made aware of it before they got too old.

I have a nephew under 3. He's in Florida. I've thought about getting it for him just in case since his dad's (my brother) side of the family is all here. Does anyone know if it's available for out-of-state residents? I didn't see anything on the form stating one way or another.

I have until he's 5 years minus one day to get him a Florida lifetime. It's 2x the price, but covers freshwater, saltwater, most hunting, and lobster. Still seems like a good gift even if he doesn't understand what it is right now.

ETA: No luck. TN Lifetime is resident only. I may get him the FL one.

Edited by monkeylizard

I've purchased a lifetime license for my 1st son and purchasing one for my 2nd son soon also.  Lucky them.  lol. 

I also hunt in West Virginia on a famly farm every year and pay about $160+ for an out of state license year after year.  I inquired if I could purchase a life time license in West Virginia for $750 and was told no as I was an out of state resident.  Sounds like the same goes for TN and they will not sell life time licenses to non-residents either. 

If you're a sportsman you know that that's money well spent. If you're a poacher you hate the thought.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I feel that it is my right to hunt and I shouldn't have to pay a fee to do so. On the other hand I think that the revenue generated by license sales is well spent and I don't have a problem paying them. There have been times in my life when I did hunt without a license to put food on the table. Not proud of it, but it's easy to say just buy the license when you have a pocket full of money.
Not necessarily the most expensive. Resident sportsman in Tx when I was there was only $68. This you got 5 deer, 2 turkeys( 3 if one was rio grande) all the rabbits, squirrel and dove you wanted. You had to report the dove killed when purchasing next years License. It was cheaper but you got a lot less. For meat, which is what I hunt. Young does are what I kill the most of. Tx you got 2doe tags, 2 either sex, tags and 1buck only tag. I think we have it better hear guys. Especially for those feeding a family with game year round.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they have to be a resident of Tn in order to receive a lifetime lic. it doesn't matter if they move out of state they can still hunt and put in for hunts free with out having to buy another lic when they have a lifetime, my son was grown when they started the lifetime. I bought mine in 07 and it has pretty much paid for its self . TWRA doesn't take any $ from the states general $ pool and the state cant take control of the $ raised from lic sales. politics play no major role with how the bucks are spent  or saved  :)