Help me decide on an assembled upper (PSA)

I am planning on buying my barrelled upper from PSA during the Black Friday sale but I am having trouble deciding what to get. This is my first AR and will mainly just be used for backyard plinking and taking care of pests. I will likely run a non magnified or 2x optic on it.

I am looking at the three different choices I see in barrels:

1. PSA Freedom series 416 stainless - to my understanding these aren't chrome line but are "lead lapped"
  2. PSA CMV
  3. PSA CHF - barrel made by FN. Not sure how different this is from the CMV.

I'll probably buy the BCG from Aim Surplus and a generic charging handle so I won't need to be complete.

I'm sure there are other questions to be asked that I haven't thought of so please guide me.  :up:

Chrome/non-chrome lined barrels have debatable traits. My take is that if you clean your barrel regularly and don't do beau coup mag dumps, the non-chrome will be just as durable, and yes, with sometimes a slight edge on accuracy.

However, FN barrels are generally very well regarded as a cut well above the average period, and the only ones that PSA seems to ever offer also happen to be chrome lined. Maybe it's the only type FN makes, dunno.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

So is the chrome lined definitely the way to go? I have read it's more durable but possibly not as accurate.

It's nice, but not 100% necessary. I don't personally think the accuracy is significantly altered, especially when shooting paper targets. If you're looking for a match grade barrel, you're probably going stainless anyway. 

I saw them earlier but know nothing about them. I gather from your recommendation they have pretty good stuff?

I only have one complete upper from them but it's been great and customer service was top notch. They have chrome lined as well as melonited barrels.

Don't forget about these also.

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/category-s/1853.htm

I saw them earlier but know nothing about them. I gather from your recommendation they have pretty good stuff?

The guys on ARFCOM are praising their pistols, being sold through Primary Arms,  only one small glitch with handguard rail being a smidge lower than the upper has arisen on some models.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Complete_AR_15_Pistols_s/6686.htm

You might compare the Radical uppers being sold there also for comparison.

- OS

Yeah that's a great deal. I have been going back and forth on it because it is carbine length. Isn't the general consensus that the mid-length would be better with less recoil?

I can't tell any difference. My son just built a mid length carbine. Recoil, in my opinion, isn't an issue with an AR.

I can't tell any difference. My son just built a mid length carbine. Recoil, in my opinion, isn't an issue with an AR.

Yeah the recoil isn't a big deal to me either. I should have said this but the main thing I read was that it can prematurely wear on parts. I don't yet have a complete understanding of how an AR works but I have a general idea. Something about the extra length of time the bullet is in the barrel past the gas port. 

Yeah the recoil isn't a big deal to me either. I should have said this but the main thing I read was that it can prematurely wear on parts. I don't yet have a complete understanding of how an AR works but I have a general idea. Something about the extra length of time the bullet is in the barrel past the gas port. 

Doesn't the military use a carbine?

If you buy enough ammo to wear out a $500 AR, you'll probably be o.k. to replace it.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Doesn't the military use a carbine?

If you buy enough ammo to wear out a $500 AR, you'll probably be o.k. to replace it.

Haha it's just a character flaw. :rofl:  I analyze every purchase to death and want to squeeze every drop of value out of my pennies. I think the main reason I would like a mid length is that I may end up leaving the front sight on and I'd like to have the little extra bit of real estate on the hand guard. Right now I am planning on starting with just a rear MBUS then adding some type of red dot and to be honest I actually like the look of a fixed front sight / gas block on an AR. On a longer barrel I like the flat look.

Edited by maroonandwhite

I can tell a slight diff between midlength and carbine. It's not translated to "recoil", but more like the internal "snap", feels less "violent" all else being equal. That being said, doubt if there's any significant diff in longevity of parts between them. If there is would be in round counts past when the barrel was shot out first on either.

One thing midlength will do for ya though is give you more real estate on standard handguard config than carbine. Standard carbine handguard setup, not a lot of room for more than your hand, unless you use a vertical grip. Course, you can extend that with free float configs.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up buying a complete PSA M4 premium upper with a few extras for a great price from another fine TGO'er. Nothing special but it will get me into the AR world. Now I just have to put this and my lower in the closet for a month and a half until Christmas so I can "unwrap" it.  :down:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up buying a complete PSA M4 premium upper with a few extras for a great price from another fine TGO'er. Nothing special but it will get me into the AR world. Now I just have to put this and my lower in the closet for a month and a half until Christmas so I can "unwrap" it.  :down:

Good deal (except for the waiting part HA HA). Glad you got everything together!