Maury Co. Deputy killed in crash

I have taken a minute to look up the TCA code for felony evading. It seems (my interpretation) that LE is exempt from "bystanders and 3rd party". Which means that in TN that she will likely not be charged in the death. I have never dealt with this. I am on the road all week (in Mississippi now) and rarely have the luxury of seeing our local news. I have been in contact with friends from the SO and seeing how they are taking it and am just a little sore/sad for them. I appologize for seeming like I attacked you Greg.

If I was a LEO, I don't think I'd be risking my life in many car chases.

If I could get the plate, I'd let them go and catch up to them at their house with a warrant for evading, etc.

I understand if it is a stolen car and you haven't ID'd the driver yet, or it was from a violent crime and the perps were a danger to self and/or others and also not ID'd yet.

But evading because of a suspended license, etc., the person would probably slow down once pursuit ended thinking they got away and you could serve them at home.

There should be some hierarchal scale like this to keep officers from having to chase everyone and endanger their own lives so often.

Most roads have had some sort of study to determine safe speeds for that particular road.  That is why there are reduced speed signs at curves and single or double center lines in the middle for passing.  Most of these speeds can be safely exceeded with a vehicle that is in top mechanical condition but many times the road conditions make it so that one must actually reduce posted speeds.  Bald tires, bad shocks, rain, road debris, deer or other animals often cause crashes on roads that are already dangerous; which this road qualified. 

As for charges, as stated he was not actually involved in the chase. I would agree if he was the actual pursuing officer, but in this case it may just be that he exceeded his skills and the vehicle's capabilities; a tragedy nonetheless. 

I don't know where you were/are a police officer, but I can guarantee you that the government in the vast majority of this country doesn't go to the expense of performing safety studies for all of the roadways in their jurisdictions - particularly, the county. They post speed limits based on protocols for the type of roadway: residential 25 MPH; main road 45 MPH; highway 55 MPH, and so on. The road crews building the roads will exercise guidelines for curves with embankments of certain degrees and passing lanes, but studies, no. It's only if they identify particular locations that have frequent accidents that they post signs for caution, decrease the speed limit, or other traffic enforcement.

Also, deputies don't have the luxury of ready back-up in most cases like the city LEOs have. Their back-up is generally many miles away - even as far away as the other side of the county, so when a fellow LEO is calling for back-up you don't waste time to get there just as you wouldn't want them screwing around getting to you if you needed them. When someone is attempting to evade they also do not have a clear picture as to what they are dealing with which lends itself to greater sense of urgency in your response. Also, county cars are notoriously in bad shape compared to Highway Patrol and city cars. I have no doubt that could contribute to this. The point is, the courts have already held the criminal responsible for all things that happen in conjunction with their criminal activity: therefore, she should be charged with manslaughter.

• Like 1

I don't know where you were/are a police officer, but I can guarantee you that the government in the vast majority of this country doesn't go to the expense of performing safety studies for all of the roadways in their jurisdictions - particularly, the county. They post speed limits based on protocols for the type of roadway: residential 25 MPH; main road 45 MPH; highway 55 MPH, and so on. The road crews building the roads will exercise guidelines for curves with embankments of certain degrees and passing lanes, but studies, no. It's only if they identify particular locations that have frequent accidents that they post signs for caution, decrease the speed limit, or other traffic enforcement.

Also, deputies don't have the luxury of ready back-up in most cases like the city LEOs have. Their back-up is generally many miles away - even as far away as the other side of the county, so when a fellow LEO is calling for back-up you don't waste time to get there just as you wouldn't want them screwing around getting to you if you needed them. When someone is attempting to evade they also do not have a clear picture as to what they are dealing with which lends itself to greater sense of urgency in your response. Also, county cars are notoriously in bad shape compared to Highway Patrol and city cars. I have no doubt that could contribute to this. The point is, the courts have already held the criminal responsible for all things that happen in conjunction with their criminal activity: therefore, she should be charged with manslaughter.

Not LE, but do know that roads do get speed limits set as you say, but also for other things that have been studied many times over.  The Feds have actually done many studies and have published guidelines for things such as curves, road width and other environmental concerns such as deer crossings.

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

I don't doubt the fact that they need to get to a scene as soon as they possibly can, but you must also get there safely for it does no good to anyone if you don't arrive.  And as JohnC has stated, they could of pulled back and let her slow down to keep her from endangering those around her.  Not sure of this PD, but most have a protocol that determines when to get involved in a high speed pursuit and when they are allowed to exceed the speed limit to respond to a call.  I hope I am not coming off as that I am defending the drunk, or condemning LE but I feel that it has to be dealt with fairly no matter the crime.

Not LE, but do know that roads do get speed limits set as you say, but also for other things that have been studied many times over.  The Feds have actually done many studies and have published guidelines for things such as curves, road width and other environmental concerns such as deer crossings.

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

I don't doubt the fact that they need to get to a scene as soon as they possibly can, but you must also get there safely for it does no good to anyone if you don't arrive.  And as JohnC has stated, they could of pulled back and let her slow down to keep her from endangering those around her.  Not sure of this PD, but most have a protocol that determines when to get involved in a high speed pursuit and when they are allowed to exceed the speed limit to respond to a call.  I hope I am not coming off as that I am defending the drunk, or condemning LE but I feel that it has to be dealt with fairly no matter the crime.

Newly constructed state and federal routes have a stated design speed based on standard engineering practices, but your average county road started life as a deer trail, then a horse trail, buggy, etc.

I can't remember if it was Tennessee, Metro Nashville, or who, exactly, but I seem to remember a change in protocal a few year back on high speed traffic pursuits because of the danger of it. I expect some of the leo here have a more vivid recollection of this than I.