Maury Co. Deputy killed in crash

http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/county-deputy-killed-duty-car-accident
Columbia police were responding to a hit-and-run accident this morning and sheriff’s deputies were able to locate the vehicle that fled from the accident scene, CPD Capt. Jeremy Alsup said.“My understanding is that they became involved in the pursuit of that vehicle,” Alsup said.

He said the vehicle, driven by Carissa Michelle Christ, eventually crashed again. Christ was transported to a hospital for treatment of injuries.

“I don’t know what hospital she went to, but I do know she was released and taken to the Maury County Jail,” Alsup said.

Christ, 22, 9551 Hampton Road, Brentwood, was arrested by CPD and is being charged with driving under the influence, driving on a revoked license, leaving an accident scene, felony evading arrest, and two counts of reckless endangerment by motor vehicle, according to a booking report from the jail. She remained in the Maury County Jail in lieu of $25,500 bond.

She needs to be charged with reckless homicide.

Why? Because he can't drive?

She should be charged with evading arrest, dui, and whatever else she'd be charged with had he not wrecked.

Sad as it is, the wreck was HIS fault.

Why?

Because an officer was killed pursuing someone intentionally evading arrest. Putting the public and law enforcement in danger which unfotunately lead to his death.

"Because he can't drive?" I'll be sure to pass along your sentiment to the other officers who "can't drive".

I will certainly not blame the officer, but I also had to ask myself, why was he not in more control of his vehicle.  I have no problem with them chasing someone and in this case, I would hate to see anyone get killed because a person driving drunk, but it seems to me it may not have been necessary to push things to such a limit.  It was 3:00AM and I suspect very few people on the road.  I think they had time to deal with the situation without putting themselves in quite as much danger.

It's easy to second guess and I feel for his family, but I do believe he belies some responsibility.  That doesn't mean I don't think they should charge her.  She certainly needs to face the punishment.

• Like 1

Why?

Because an officer was killed pursuing someone intentionally evading arrest. Putting the public and law enforcement in danger which unfotunately lead to his death.

"Because he can't drive?" I'll be sure to pass along your sentiment to the other officers who "can't drive".

He was killed because he chose to drive recklessly. The girl should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for what she's done. Blaming her for what she did is correct. Blaming her for the officer's poor decision is short sighted to say the least.

• Like 1

He was killed because he chose to drive recklessly. The girl should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for what she's done. Blaming her for what she did is correct. Blaming her for the officer's poor decision is short sighted to say the least.

When you flee from LE in a vehicle it is a whole new can of worms. If I were you I'd take a while to read up on the TCA.
  • Like 1

When you flee from LE in a vehicle it is a whole new can of worms. If I were you I'd take a while to read up on the TCA.

According to reports, the officer was not actively in pursuit.  He was on his way to backup the other officer in pursuit.  Since this is a one car incident, I suspect he lost control of his car when he exceeded the safe speed limit for the road he was on.  Though I too feel she should get prosecuted for the DUI and evasion, his death should not be used as a mitigating factor in sentencing. 

Edit: speeling

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

According to reports, the officer was not actively in pursuit.  He was on his way to backup the other officer in pursuit.  Since this is a one car incident, I suspect he lost control of his car when he exceeded the safe speed limit for the road he was on.  Though I too feel she should get prosecuted for the DUI and evasion, his death should not be used as a mitigating factor in sentencing. 

Edit: speeling

And exactly what study is published to indicate what a "safe" speed limit is for this road? Answer: None.

And usually if someone happens to die as a result of the commission of a crime then all parties participating in that crime get charged with murder. Why should this be different?

I have taken a minute to look up the TCA code for felony evading. It seems (my interpretation) that LE is exempt from "bystanders and 3rd party". Which means that in TN that she will likely not be charged in the death. I have never dealt with this. I am on the road all week (in Mississippi now) and rarely have the luxury of seeing our local news. I have been in contact with friends from the SO and seeing how they are taking it and am just a little sore/sad for them. I appologize for seeming like I attacked you Greg. Edited by glowdotGlock

I have taken a minute to look up the TCA code for felony evading. It seems (my interpretation) that LE is exempt from "bystanders and 3rd party". Which means that in TN that she will likely not be charged in the death. I have never dealt with this. I am on the road all week (in Mississippi now) and rarely have the luxury of seeing our local news. I have been in contact with friends from the SO and seeing how they are taking it and am just a little sore/sad for them. I appologize for seeming like I attacked you Greg.

I didn't take offense to anything you said, and don't believe I ever have. It is a tragic event for sure. Be careful out there. :up:

I have a knack for poor wording, and it often gets me in trouble. We also have a member or two who likes to take full advantage of that. You are certainly not one of them.

• Like 1

And exactly what study is published to indicate what a "safe" speed limit is for this road? Answer: None.

And usually if someone happens to die as a result of the commission of a crime then all parties participating in that crime get charged with murder. Why should this be different?

Most roads have had some sort of study to determine safe speeds for that particular road.  That is why there are reduced speed signs at curves and single or double center lines in the middle for passing.  Most of these speeds can be safely exceeded with a vehicle that is in top mechanical condition but many times the road conditions make it so that one must actually reduce posted speeds.  Bald tires, bad shocks, rain, road debris, deer or other animals often cause crashes on roads that are already dangerous; which this road qualified. 

As for charges, as stated he was not actually involved in the chase. I would agree if he was the actual pursuing officer, but in this case it may just be that he exceeded his skills and the vehicle's capabilities; a tragedy nonetheless. 

I was informed today that his parents were on the way here from Louisiana and had a wreck in Mississippi. The mother suffered a concussion and his father had a shoulder injury. They have since been treated and made it to Maury county.

Wow! :shake: It just keeps getting worse for this family. I want to think the news report I saw said the officer had three children?

• Like 1