2015 TN Legislative Goals

We need a well spoken and respected legislator who has all the facts and can relay those facts to get this sort of bill passed.  Model after other states that have the trespass approach VS all the misdemeanors and felonies that someone with a permit can be charged with.  I would pursue this before any other legislation because if written correctly, it would fix your park carry, school carry, and posted signs.  Think, you could go to a Memphis government building (most have compliant no gun signs) and be legal, go to the parks, and walk across an urban college campus and be legal.

Yes, it would legalize open or concealed carry, but if you give property owners (including governments, colleges) the option to still ask people to leave, you won't see open carry in these types of locations.  Yes in an ideal world you should be able to open carry at such places, but ideal VS what can pass are two different things.

Mississippi has an enhaced handgun carry permit available to residents and technically you could open carry at a school, but you'll never see it happen because the minute you do it, the school can still ask that person to leave.  The wise people would know they are legal and conceal in those types of places to avoid being asked to leave.  No one will know, the person with the enhanced permit is legal, and the school can still ask permit people to leave if they see it.  I see it as win for both propert rights and gun rights.  It is much better than getting caught with your gun outside your car at a Tennessee school, being asked to leave, and on top of it getting criminal charges.

Edited by 300winmag

Let them try...  quickest way to get campus carry is for a TBR school to expel an adult (better yet if they're 30+) student because they legally had a firearm in their vehicle in a parking lot.

The legislators would be forced to react, and it likely would result in campus carry reform in short order...  

Also, that student may very well win a lawsuit against TBR, since state preemption 39-17-1314a likely prohibits TBR and it's officials from regulating among other things the possession of firearms.  

There is a reason why they haven't done it yet...  it would cost TBR a lot of political capital, and likely result in tough questions about their anti-firearm policies that would be hard to defend and justify in front of a republican legislature, no matter how much the legislature wants to pretend there aren't any issues with firearms in TN.

Now several said I can keep my gun in my truck while taking classes, and Yes legally I can...But TBR's Student Code of Conduct spells out immediate expulsion for having a gun on the grounds of ant TBR governed college. So damned if I do and damned if I don't. I wont be in trouble with the law but I wouldn't be a student anymore.

• Like 1

Let them try...  quickest way to get campus carry is for a TBR school to expel an adult (better yet if they're 30+) student because they legally had a firearm in their vehicle in a parking lot....

Yep, agree and have opined the same several times. The "state support" part is key. There's a reason that state offices in general have not taken the same stance for employees, who do not work under the same "at-will employment" rules as private companies. 

Think about it, a state employee being fired for exactly adhering to the dictates of a state law? The same outcome would happen for an employee or student in state school too.

- OS