Blown away...new television

Links2k

My old Mitsubishi DLP television finally bit the dust, so I was forced to find a replacement. I was looking at the new fangled 4K sets, but I kept reading reviews that there was very little content for 4K at the moment. I finally decided on a 65inch Samsung LED Smart 3D HDTV. All I can say is wow.

This thing is 65 inches of 240Hz, 960CMR, Quad Core Processing happiness. I didn't think that I would notice much difference from the old DLP, but boy was I wrong.

I watched "Lone Survivor" again and it felt like I was on that mountaintop with those amazing warriors. The picture was so lifelike that it was almost spooky. I realize that no one needs everything that this television offers, but it's sure amazing to have it at my disposal. I can only imagine what the 4K experience must be like.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
  • Like 2

The picture was so lifelike that it was almost spooky. I realize that no one needs everything that this television offers, but it's sure amazing to have it at my disposal. I can only imagine what the 4K experience must be like.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I bought a Sony 55" HDTV about 4 months ago and it's just like you said. It's like sitting in the same room or right beside the actors. It really is spooky LOL. My best friend came over the day after we got it and we watched World War Z on it. Neither one of us could believe it. The van scene with Brad Pitt and his family had us shaking our heads!  It took some getting used to but we don't notice it so much now that we are used to it. Even shows like NCIS or Criminal Minds are that way. The street scenes were just crazy at first. Congrats on the new TV!!!

• Like 1
We've had a Samsung 65" for a while now. It is very impressive. The only drawback to it is that it really needs a bigger room instead of our small living room for it.

Great picture and sound. And although I haven't seen a 3-D movie I was impressed with much, the set does a good job with them.

I considered a sound bar to go with it, but I really can't see a need for it. This thing will blow us out of the house now.
  • Like 1
I upgraded a couple of years ago from a 42" Sony DLP to a 55" Panasonic 3D SmartTV. The picture is as much of a step up as the DLP was from the old tube style TVs IMO. Having Netflix and YouTube built-in is really cool for my daughter. She loves that. We got a pretty nice sound bar with woofer at the same time and TV feels like the theater in our small living room now.
  • Like 1

Its hard to imagine going back to only 640x480  pixels now :)  Just going from the old tube to a modern resolution was a real eye opener for me, ours is not even HD.  

Still, the old stuff can look kind of bad on the HD units.  As can the compressed channels (jpg like artifacts in the image) if they still do that (???).  

But the new stuff looks SO good... congrats!   I keep thinking that 3d units will take off soon but so far not really happening.  

• Like 1

I upgraded a couple of years ago from a 42" Sony DLP to a 55" Panasonic 3D SmartTV. The picture is as much of a step up as the DLP was from the old tube style TVs IMO. Having Netflix and YouTube built-in is really cool for my daughter. She loves that. We got a pretty nice sound bar with woofer at the same time and TV feels like the theater in our small living room now.

The sound bar is next. I've still got a Sony surround sound system that may be approaching twenty years old. The subwoofer is almost as big as a tool box. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1

The sound bar is next. I've still got a Sony surround sound system that may be approaching twenty years old. The subwoofer is almost as big as a tool box.

You're lucky, because I'd kill to be able to upgrade from a sound bar to surround sound system. Sadly, my living room is shaped funny, so the only place we can put our TV is in one corner. Having the sofa and loveseat on the opposite 2 walls, keeps us from being able to get surround sound. There's no correct place to put the speakers to make it sound right.

You're lucky, because I'd kill to be able to upgrade from a sound bar to surround sound system. Sadly, my living room is shaped funny, so the only place we can put our TV is in one corner. Having the sofa and loveseat on the opposite 2 walls, keeps us from being able to get surround sound. There's no correct place to put the speakers to make it sound right.

A good calibration, equalization and balance tune can adjust to virtually any room parameters, all modern sound systems allow this to happen, many have programs that will get you very close automatically ...

We've had a Samsung 65" for a while now. It is very impressive. The only drawback to it is that it really needs a bigger room instead of our small living room for it.

Great picture and sound. And although I haven't seen a 3-D movie I was impressed with much, the set does a good job with them.

I considered a sound bar to go with it, but I really can't see a need for it. This thing will blow us out of the house now.

3D is more of a novelty, we thought we were going to use it all the time and after getting one, the only thing worth watching in actual 3D was boxing.  That's amazing, but everything else is so so. 

The sound bar is next. I've still got a Sony surround sound system that may be approaching twenty years old. The subwoofer is almost as big as a tool box.

before you do the soundbar, check out those Bose 2.1 Cinemate speakers.  I don't know what kind of sorcery Bose put into that sound processing box, but they sounded better than a legit 5.1 system (not one of those cheap walmart combo boxes).  We went through 3 or 4 speakerbars (up to $500) and a full $700 5.1 system, and nothing could even touch that Bose setup.  

• Like 2

before you do the soundbar, check out those Bose 2.1 Cinemate speakers.  I don't know what kind of sorcery Bose put into that sound processing box, but they sounded better than a legit 5.1 system (not one of those cheap walmart combo boxes).  We went through 3 or 4 speakerbars (up to $500) and a full $700 5.1 system, and nothing could even touch that Bose setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the past I wanted a Bose 321 System, but I don't think that Bose makes its anymore. Now that I think about it, I'll be going with a Bose system. I will probably order one tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. In the past I wanted a Bose 321 System, but I don't think that Bose makes its anymore. Now that I think about it, I'll be going with a Bose system. I will probably order one tomorrow.

Most home theater stores have those Cinemate systems set up as a functioning model, I know best buy does.  I would drop by and check them out before ordering one.  Here's our little movie room, 72" DLP with the Cinemates.  They're on stands because I was too lazy to wall mount them & too cheap to pay someone to do it for us.

IMAG1031_zpsjwllesdz.jpg

Edited by Sam1
Bose systems are totally awesome. The sound that comes from those tiny components is just stunning. I have a factor Bose system in my personal vehicle and I love it.

Of course my wife doesn't, it just begs to be played at least I/3 volume! Anything played on it will rattle the windows.

Even my Blake Shelton cds.

I still think I'm high tech because I have a 52" with HD. I'm behind the times, but hey, I'm happy with it versus the old 19 incher! Congrats on your new theater!

We got zapped by lighting through the sat dish took out 3 TV that were hooked up via HDMI we lost a 60" two 32" and thought our 42" was gone too... We watched 10 year old DVD's on an old 20" that was stuffed in the closet... That dam thing was tiny!

• Like 1