Mauser k98?

Rollincoal444

I a jeep Comanche that needs work, that a guy is willing to trade a bring back k98 with no import markings, stock number doors not match, with 40 rounds. Said a good straight shooter and has none puff the highly markings.

I dont know much about it, just what I have researched last night. I'm really looking for a gun that I can shoot without ruining a nice of history that someone else really wants for a collection or whatever.

Any advice on the rifle or the trade? What should I look for? Should I avoid it?

you can collect anything.   Yes, its a piece of history, but a small one.  They made several million of the things and a fair number are still more or less floating around the world.  The Russians alone captured several mil of them and rebuilt them (some idiotic take them all apart, then assemble as many working guns as possible scheme but they took them ALL apart and mismatched the parts for fun).

Being in good condition and un-stamped has value but it is still one of many.  

Shoot it, don't let the nasty ammo destroy it.  It was made to be shot.  A lot.  Under extreme conditions.  You won't hurt it if you don't abuse it, and honestly,  shooting it more than a few times is usually enough for most people.  The gun can handle far more shots fired than your shoulder ever will.

and please.  Before you screw with it (cut on it, drill it for a scope, or otherwise do physical damage to it for whatever reason) find out more about it.  There are thousands, if not 10s of thousands of messed up mausers already, buy one for 100 bucks and butcher away on it.  Leave the intact ones be!

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Awesome. That's good to hear. Unfortunately he said it had already been drilled and tapped for a scope, and he is including the score in the deal. Is there anything extra that can be done to protect against corrosive ammo or will just good cleaning habits be sufficient?

IIRC ammonia will neutralize the corrosive residue -- windex is oft cited as a good cleaner.  But boiling++ water will dissolve it, flush it clean, and evaporate after, follow with oil.  Problem is the corrosive residue can get into the gun -- not sure about the k98 specifically but you want to read up online on how to deep clean it if you shoot that stuff.   I strongly advise to just buy or make some clean ammo and save the corrosive ammo as period/collectors ammo.    Deep cleaning the thing each time gets old if you shoot it much.

Ammonia does NOT neutralize the corrosive salts.  Water does.  Windex is just a feel good quick get me home to clean measure.  The ammonia does help cut the copper fouling but there is not enough in the window cleaner to really do enough.

Cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo it not all that hard to do.  Just an extra step.

• Like 1