Pellet Gun

Guest clownsdd

Guest clownsdd

Just an interesting question,

As in most suburban areas, shooting of pellet guns in the city limits is illegal.

Now, I don't like to kill strays that come in the yard so I just use a pump pellet pistol to run them off..couple or 3 pumps, just enough not to injure.

Would anyone out there consider a stray dog on your property, a threat to serious injury or death? ie, would I be legally justified in the above scenario, in case a neighbor called the police? Or would I be better off just blowing it away with my carry gun?

I think I put that right.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I really think it would depend on the behavior that the dog is exhibiting. If he's just frolicking around like any dog would, I'd just scare em off. However if he's growling or foaming at the mouth, I'd take that as an indication that you should elevate your cautiousness of the dog. If he makes any threatening moves I'd take em out.

If you lift any sort of rifle to your shoulder in view of your neighbors you are liable to have the police called on you. I admit that I've shot bb's at a few stray dogs, but it's not smart. As far as blowing them away with your handgun, you must be joking!:usa:

If a stray appears to be dangerous to you or your own pets, the best thing is to call the dog catcher and get the stray officially removed.

Guest clownsdd

I did not clarify it being a pellet pistol, not a long gun.

That being said waiting on the dog catcher takes quite a bit longer that waiting on the police.

Guest bkelm18

If you feel threatened at any time by the dog, do what you think needs to be done to protect you and yours. Worrying about the neighbors calling the police when they see you with a weapon should really be in the back of your mind at that point.

Guest colrmccoll

I live in knox county in a subdivision and I have a area in my back yard to safely shoot both pellet pistol and rifle. It is good practice where speed is not a factor, just one shot at a time using the fundamentals.

I have had to occasionally get the attention of a stray cat or a squirrel on my bird feeder.

Years ago I did some gunsmithing and would function fire into a small dirt bank in my backyard.

My neighbors never had complained or mentioned that they have even heard the gunshot.

Guest clownsdd

bk, thanks good point. If life and limb were in danger, I would take immediate action.

What I am really talking about is the strays that come up and hang around. Sometimes a shout or clap won't run them off. Lets call them making the better half and grandkid uncomfortable about going out.

Guest jcramin

If I am not mistaken, in the City limits of Bartlett the fine and jail time is MORE for air rifle than for a real pistol or rifle.

I will also say, me and my kids sit in the back yard and shoot full shaken up soda cans and silly string cans and stuff all the time with BB and Pellet guns.

We have also had a couple very sick cats around our house and having three small dogs we really did not want our dogs getting sick and of course animal control wont do anything. BUT its funny the cats disappeared on day when we where shooting cans. Musta scared them off.

Slingshot and paintballs. :wall:

It makes it easier for the animal warden to spot the stray later too. Just look for the feral tabby with the lime green splat on it's side. :)

Is what I do, I have a wrist rocket....makes the 4 neighbors laugh is all.

Baseball bat and a Hefty Bag may have worked in a pinch in the past.

That being said, we shoot the crap out of the two pellet guns here but its a small town, we have a little over two acres to shoot on and the neighbors could care less. I got a little more conscious since I got the bigger Gamo gun that can shoot 1200 fps and makes a serious crack with the sonic boom with the PBAs. They call it a Whisper and it has a baffle/suppressor built in. I would hate to hear what it did without that. Its a fairly serious little pellet tosser.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0048232228667a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&sort=all&Ntk=Products&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=14&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ntt=gamo&_requestid=164344&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=15

Paintball gun is the way to go, but just dont overshoot the dog or someone will get you for cruelty. We recently got some new neighbors at the car lot renting the spot next door to us and they have a pit thats not always on a chain...I wont hesitate to put that dog down if I see it charging any of us or a customer.

I have one of the airsoft guns, that I bought "for my son" and it can put a hole in a coke can. My dog doesn't seem to like it at all and gets a nervous look on his face when I err my son is playing with it. :cool:

Guest jcramin
Baseball bat and a Hefty Bag may have worked in a pinch in the past.

That being said, we shoot the crap out of the two pellet guns here but its a small town, we have a little over two acres to shoot on and the neighbors could care less. I got a little more conscious since I got the bigger Gamo gun that can shoot 1200 fps and makes a serious crack with the sonic boom with the PBAs. They call it a Whisper and it has a baffle/suppressor built in. I would hate to hear what it did without that. Its a fairly serious little pellet tosser.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0048232228667a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&sort=all&Ntk=Products&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=14&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ntt=gamo&_requestid=164344&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=15

LOL I have that same gun BUT before they came out with the suppressor and YES it actually sounds like a .22 when you use their pellets. So when we shoot in he back yard I had to get some cheap pellets that wouldnt go so fast and dont give that loud crack.