AR15 for $399 shipped!

wileecoyote

looks like a good deal.  i got an very old cav arms polymer lower that i used to build a truck gun.  it turned out to be a great shooter.  at first i kicked myself for getting the lower, but after i match it to a upper and saw how it grouped and shot i was sold. 

For some reason I was thinking having the buffer tube and stock attached kept it from being used as a pistol lower. Will a kak tube fit poly lowers?

Yep, standard threads on the poly lowers.

PSA had complete (with stock)  blem lowers for $130 the other day, though.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/s/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine/

Less for one of their stripped blem lowers w/ LPK, if you don't want the carbine tube/stock. Maybe cheaper even with non-blem lower, haven't been watching site.

Having had an Omni crack only 6 months ago, I'm soured on the poly versions, even if some are up to snuff.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep, standard threads on the poly lowers.

PSA had complete (with stock)  blem lowers for $130 the other day, though.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/s/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine/

Less for one of their stripped blem lowers w/ LPK, if you don't want the carbine tube/stock. Maybe cheaper even with non-blem lower, haven't been watching site.

Having had an Omni crack only 6 months ago, I'm soured on the poly versions, even if some are up to snuff.

- OS

Ooooo.  Care to share what exactly happened?  If you posted it before, I must have missed it.  

I have two Plum Crazy lowers.  Light as air, but I don't want them to break.

Edited by Clod Stomper

Ooooo.  Care to share what exactly happened?  If you posted it before, I must have missed it.  

I have two Plum Crazy lowers.  Light as air, but I don't want them to break.

It wasn't catastrophic. Was takedown pin spring/detent channel, a crack started around pin hole  and reached the channel and a chunk fell out. Crack started fairly early on, took about a year before the chunk fell out. You could see part of spring and detent. Still worked, and didn't seem to progress,  but you know, bugged me and had no confidence that it wouldn't do worse too, so got ATI  to replace it.

They paid shipping both ways, BUT, even though they admitted they legally could, they wouldn't send it directly to me, but back through an FFL. Short take,by time was ready to deal with all that at FFL with another background check/transfer fee, was rather disgusted, had only bought the damn thing back during the panic cause nothing else affordable was around, so just sold it pert cheap for cash directly to the FFL without doing any TICS/paperwork. On second thought, was closer to 9 months ago I guess.

Thing was, they had redesigned it by then and the replacement looked better, had metal thread inserts in the buffer tube channel and whatnot, but I was over it by that time and affordable metal lowers were everywhere again.

Here's what the heater looked like at the time with plastic fantastic:

AR-pistol2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, that's a bit reassuring.  These will be mostly "get-home" guns anyway.  If they start to fail, I'll replace the lower body with an AL one.  

Well, plenty enough of the various brands have broken suddenly and catastrophically since they've been marketed. And Plumb Crazy likely has had as many as any brand, since I think they were the first out of the block weren't they?

DSCN0312.jpg

But seems the companies still making them have had enough failures to get it mostly right now through ongoing redesign.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have heard of some failures of different types, especially Plum Crazy.  But quite honestly, most of them appear to be due to abuse.  I hope as long as I don't use it as a baseball bat that it will hold up.  Like that picture above.  I just don't see that happening from just shooting.  Of course it's much less likely to happen to an AL receiver.  Everything's a trade-off.

:x:

Like that picture above.  I just don't see that happening from just shooting. 

Actually, most common fail point from shooting, seems.  All the stress is concentrated right there from bolt carrier against buffer/spring.

Besides design itself or perhaps voids in molding, seems to be a fatigue factor with some polymers just like with some metals, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Actually, most common fail point from shooting, seems. All the stress is concentrated right there from bolt carrier against buffer/spring.

Besides design itself or perhaps voids in molding, seems to be a fatigue factor with some polymers just like with some metals, too.

- OS

Int'resting. Wonder if overgassed uppers cause that, or at least accelerate it. I can see the buffer slamming into the end of the buffer tube causing some pretty severe stress. Hadn't thought of that before.

Guess I'll just shoot it until it gives up and reuse the parts in another lower if necessary. Edited by Clod Stomper

Int'resting. Wonder if overgassed uppers cause that, or at least accelerate it. I can see the buffer slamming into the end of the buffer tube causing some pretty severe stress. Hadn't thought of that before.

Guess I'll just shoot it until it gives up and reuse the parts in another lower if necessary.

Certainly overgassing causes more force than necessary. Odds are it'll be fine - no recourse from Plum Crazy if it ain't though.

Ever see the Plum Crazy "illegal" serial number prob? I guess if they were still in biz they'd have to have done something about it:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/30/plumcrazy-polymer-lowers-illegal-letter-batfe/

- OS