2014 rifle season pics, keep the pics from your stand and trail cam pics coming too!

I'm sorry to report that my hunt yesterday was fruitless.  I stayed out until I couldn't see to shoot anymore even though I had about 5 minutes of legal light left.  Didn't see so much as a squirrel.  Good news is I thought that I was going to loose that spot after this year as the owner was selling it but they decided to keep it so I will retain one of my good spots next year.  I've been in Wilson County since Thursday and I've seen two deer that whole time and I saw those while driving down the road, they just don't seem to be moving at all around here.  Ironically I saw 4 on the hill across the street from my house in Blount County when I pulled out of my driveway to come here.

So I'm about to head back East and spend the evening giving my deer rifles a thorough cleaning, They've earned it after this season!  Also have a muzzleloader project that I'm rehabbing, can't ever start getting ready for next season too early!  But the next hunting/fishing activity on my calendar will likely be trout in the spring.  I also have a camper project going so I'll have a decent place to stay on my fishing trips this year. 

As much as I like to rabbit and squirrel hunt I don't do much of it.  Rabbit hunting over beagles was one of the best hunting experiences that I've ever had, right up there with a good dove shoot!  I just don't know anyone that has beagles anymore and my wife isn't going to let me get any.  I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting but I hate cleaning them and don't enjoy eating them so unless I have someone to give them to when I kill them I really don't go.  

Edited by 10-Ring
This morning was cold and interesting. I went to a friends farm to help him get some meat for the freezer. I had a doe cross the corner of the field but was in and out before I could even think about shooting. Next was a beautiful young buck with chocolate colored antlers with the exception of the last inch or two of the tips. He'll be really nice next year if he makes it.
I ended up with 4 more doe in front of me but I decided I would give them some time. As I watched, my buddy (about 200yds from me), ripped off two shots with about 5 sec between. Needless to say my deer bolted but I figured he had two down so all was well. When I got to his stand he was mad because he said he clean missed both deer. Told me that he shot and they scrambled then stopped to look around and the they did the same thing again when he shot at the second one and then they calmly walked across the field and into the woods.
We went to the house to confirm zero and that checked out which really upset him because he had made two bad shots. I kept thinking about it and finally told him to get in the truck and went back out there. I walk right up to the first one about 10' into the woods but the 2nd one was going to make us work. As it turns out he not only gut shot it but also shot really low. Close to an hour had passed before we started tracking but evidently it wasn't long enough. We didn't realize it until just before I caught up with the deer but it was steadily walking away from us. I'd say 1 mile is a conservative figure as far as distance tracked and I still had to put another round into her. It was a lot of REALLY steep hill tracking but he's got two deer hanging so I guess mission accomplished.
Layer up if you're going out in the mornin boys cause it's cold as a witch's tit already!!!!
  • Like 1

Nothing here, I have seen them moving around 10:00 or 11:00pm on my way in so I think they have gone nocturnal.

Yep and on top of that they're are sticking to cover more than normal. This weather has been so unusual and that hasn't helped at all. I've heard people all over the mid state saying the same thing.
Our herd is doing the same thing. Staying in the woods until last shooting light and then coming out in droves. They are just tired of being shot at. I mean, even in VERY predictable fields, they have become ghost towns.

Our herd is doing the same thing. Staying in the woods until last shooting light and then coming out in droves. They are just tired of being shot at. I mean, even in VERY predictable fields, they have become ghost towns.

I guess mine are tired of being shot at elsewhere because They have certainly not been over pressured here. 

I'm going to be giving it a go this last weekend. Would appreciate prayers for some successful hunts. I don't care if I shoot anything but I am going to try and take 2 new hunters with me and would be great for them to tag some doe this weekend. Hate for them to waste their $70 for license.
  • Like 1

I'm going out in the morning, just me, my rifle, and my scuba gear....dang rain!

Stalking or stand?  I hunt out of my elevated stand, dry for the most part save a few leaks.  Just hope the rain doesn't make them bed down.  But at least I can run my heater since the rain makes it noisy anyway.  Got to find a quiter way to heat my stand, my Mr. Heater little buddy sounds like a small jet engine.

• Like 1
Well in the morning I'm taking my bil out for his first time deer hunting and possibly hunting in general but I'm not sure. I'm really hoping the weather doesn't keep them in the woods because I don't have any dry accomadations in the woods. I was planning to move a pop up into some woods today but just ran outta time. I keep telling myself that since it was nasty today and supposed to be all night, maybe they'll get out for a bit first thing. I suppose we'll see.
  • Like 2

Stalking or stand?  I hunt out of my elevated stand, dry for the most part save a few leaks.  Just hope the rain doesn't make them bed down.  But at least I can run my heater since the rain makes it noisy anyway.  Got to find a quiter way to heat my stand, my Mr. Heater little buddy sounds like a small jet engine.

No stalking, well not planning on it anyway, never know. I'm hunting South Rutherford County in the morning unless it's really coming down. If it's not raining too hard I bought one of those umbrellas you attach above your stand and I'll be in my climber and stick it out all day or till I get something. If it is raining too hard for that, I'm heading to Mt Juliet to hunt out of my pop up blind until it slows down. Then I may bring the blind with me back to the other spot and hunt that evening. 

Well in the morning I'm taking my bil out for his first time deer hunting and possibly hunting in general but I'm not sure. I'm really hoping the weather doesn't keep them in the woods because I don't have any dry accomadations in the woods. I was planning to move a pop up into some woods today but just ran outta time. I keep telling myself that since it was nasty today and supposed to be all night, maybe they'll get out for a bit first thing. I suppose we'll see.

I'm hoping the same. Good luck tomorrow, I hope y'all get something!

I'm in my stand. It's sopping wet outside but rain isn't expected till about 11am or so. It's 58 degrees and rising as well as strong gusts. Not sure if my life jacket will be sufficient or if I need to start building an Ark. As shady as these deer are im not quite sure I can convince them to come two by two on my ark. So if it's up to me to repopulate the world with animals, we should be good on everything except for deer.
  • Like 1

nope, I'm out here, but haven't seen anything yet. Raining off and on, sometimes mist, sometimes really coming down. Maybe something will move in between haha

Hope so man! No rain here in West TN yet but it's coming! Wife is texting me that she and my FIL will be going to breakfast soon.....I hate making these decisions.

Waterfowl guys were making a ruckus,  but no deer to be seen. Just a slight mist now and then with a few gusts of wind, should be good for deer movement so hoping some move my way.  Good thing the temp went up a bit, no heater needed so I have my electronic earmuffs on.

Well, I finally seen another deer I could take a shot at. She came up over the hill on my neighbors property, I grabbed my rifle but could not locate her again. She then jumped the fence to my side to a clearing, so I took the shot. She dropped immediately then seen another coming up the hill toward the first, which is why she jumped the fence. Took a shot at that one too, but this one took off. She ran almost 50 yards with what turned out to be a heart shot. The first one I hit in the neck, no spine but enough shock to drop her. 6b4e89b437d975474efa8cf34879f88d.jpg
Hope everyone had a good season this year...now for a few of those pesky squirrels.

• Like 1