American Sniper movie

I just finished the book. I bought it after I saw the movie.

The book was a fascinating insight into the mind of a soldier. But, some things make me feel strange. He repeatedly referred to Seals as silent warriors, but the book had a tinge of arrogance laced through it all. Repeatedly referring to yourself as a "silent warrior" after bragging about war stories felt odd.

Also, some of the lies told by Kyle seemed to have been more for dramatic effect and/or increasing book sales. Obviously, this is not an uncommon practice, but something about it doesn't sit well.

A very good friend of mine who recently retired from the Navy told me that similar feelings are being expressed by those who served with him.

I am not trying to talk bad about a man that served our country and obviously was a very talented sniper, but I have a hard time turning off the critical part of my mind when reading stories about people. Occasionally my B/Sometor will go off when reading stories about him or written by him.

Any thoughts?

I just finished the book. I bought it after I saw the movie.

The book was a fascinating insight into the mind of a soldier. But, some things make me feel strange. He repeatedly referred to Seals as silent warriors, but the book had a tinge of arrogance laced through it all. Repeatedly referring to yourself as a "silent warrior" after bragging about war stories felt odd.

Also, some of the lies told by Kyle seemed to have been more for dramatic effect and/or increasing book sales. Obviously, this is not an uncommon practice, but something about it doesn't sit well.

A very good friend of mine who recently retired from the Navy told me that similar feelings are being expressed by those who served with him.

I am not trying to talk bad about a man that served our country and obviously was a very talented sniper, but I have a hard time turning off the critical part of my mind when reading stories about people. Occasionally my B/Sometor will go off when reading stories about him or written by him.

Any thoughts?

Most people from Texas have that hint of arrogance lol doesnt surprise me...

• 4 months later...

Finally had the chance to watch it...meh.  I didn't feel it was a waste of time, but I thought it was only an okay as a movie.

The performances from Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller (a very underrated actress) were top notch.  The strain on their relationship caused by deployments and not enough time between them was well acted, though I think could have been given more time as it is a big theme as you read the book, especially the parts by Taya written from her view.

The action scenes were about what I expected, complete with the Hollywood embellishments: the huge flame with each shot from a suppressed M4, creating Mustafa as his nemesis through out the movie, the final battle in Sadr City ending in a sandstorm haze...all made the movie a letdown after reading the book.

• Like 2

Finally had the chance to watch it...meh.  I didn't feel it was a waste of time, but I thought it was only an okay as a movie.

The performances from Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller (a very underrated actress) were top notch.  The strain on their relationship caused by deployments and not enough time between them was well acted, though I think could have been given more time as it is a big theme as you read the book, especially the parts by Taya written from her view.

The action scenes were about what I expected, complete with the Hollywood embellishments: the huge flame with each shot from a suppressed M4, creating Mustafa as his nemesis through out the movie, the final battle in Sadr City ending in a sandstorm haze...all made the movie a letdown after reading the book.

I finally watched the movie a couple of weeks ago and I felt about the same. It was a let down for me. If I would have never read the book I probably would have enjoyed it but knowing what I know from the book it just made the movie a let down. I don't like how they created Mustafa as his enemy, it cheapened the whole experience for me. 

• Like 1