Mossberg 500 stealth (rattling pump handle)

Guest Guitarsnguns

Guest Guitarsnguns

Last night, my wife felt uneasy about some strange circumstances both inside, and outside our house. (We have been robbed twice and had intruders/middle of the night trespassers that our rottie scared off another two times) Anyhow, we came to the conclusion that someone may be living in our rarely used barn. I brought my Mossberg with me to do a quick check, just in case, and realized how noisy that stock wooden pump handle is in the quiet of the night while I was trying to sneak up to the barn. I had to twist it slightly to keep pressure on the parts to prevent this. Anybody know how to keep things quiet? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
Most pump shotguns have at least a bit of rattle... Mossbergs are probably the worst though.

Benelli Nova beats any pump I've ever handled for rattliness. Way worse than a 500...

Guest Watauga

It's a 590DA1, 18.5, GRS, Modified, Parkerized. Catalog # 53517

It was hard to get in 2002.

Wanted the DA model to get the long trigger pull.

I think it prevents accidental firing.

IMHO, It's the perfect home defense shotty.

Guest Guitarsnguns
I agree with the others get a synthetic front grip and that "should" eliminate the rattle. Course a Saiga 12 is never a bad idea either ;-D

I'll try that too. I'm buying a knox recoil system for that Mossberg so my wife and sons won't be afraid to shoot it with magnum buckshot anyhow. any suggestions on good synthetic front grips? This is strickly a home defense gun with an 18" barrel. Thanks for all the input.

Edited by Guitarsnguns
Left out some info.
Guest EDWSRTN

I have the Mossberg 500 pump and as far a rattle goes.. NOT HAPPENING I keep the champer loaded to the macks with shells.. No Rattle here with the 500 mossberg..

:up:

It's a 590DA1, 18.5, GRS, Modified, Parkerized. Catalog # 53517

It was hard to get in 2002.

Wanted the DA model to get the long trigger pull.

I think it prevents accidental firing.

IMHO, It's the perfect home defense shotty.

Very cool!

I had never seen one of these, just the 20" and 14" versions. Lemme know if ya' ever think about selling it...

Guest c_o_jones
I'll try that too. I'm buying a knox recoil system for that Mossberg so my wife and sons won't be afraid to shoot it with magnum buckshot anyhow. any suggestions on good synthetic front grips? This is strickly a home defense gun with an 18" barrel. Thanks for all the input.

You can usually find the knoxx specops in a complete kit with the hogue overmolded forend and the powerpack too,

this is the exact setup I have on my HD shotty and it works well.:cool:

shotty2.jpg

Here's a set with the powerpack (riser for optics and shotshell holder) and the hogue overmolded forend for $164 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KNOXX-SPECOPS-POWERPAK-FOREND-COMBO-MOSSBERG-500-590_W0QQitemZ380072897626QQihZ025QQcategoryZ73954QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

You may not need or use the riser for optics, but the shell holder alone is a reason to get the powerpack.

Magnum + 12ga = overkill IMHO Since they will be using it you would be better served using some low recoil buckshot. The Fiocchi Nickel plated low recoil still has 9 00 pellets and travels at 1100+ fps :cool: Better to be able to hit what your aiming at with a little less force then to not hit it at all full force B)

Guest Guitarsnguns
Magnum + 12ga = overkill IMHO Since they will be using it you would be better served using some low recoil buckshot. The Fiocchi Nickel plated low recoil still has 9 00 pellets and travels at 1100+ fps :) Better to be able to hit what your aiming at with a little less force then to not hit it at all full force :P

I have to agree with you on that one, and will buy some of that ammo;however, I will still put a Knoxx recoil system on that old Mossie for my wife and kids. I think it's purely psychological, but if it makes them confident, then what the heck.

I am intrigued by the Saiga,:cool:But I can't find any to check out. A 12 guage semi-auto on an AK receiver sounds like a dream come true. Anybody have one of these?

3" and Mag loads are only really good for delivering more shot for increased hit probability at longer ranges. A controllable 8-9 pellet reduced-recoil load is just fine...

However, since my FN SLP is both heavy and has a super recoil-absorbing action, mag loads in it feel nearly equivalent to target stuff from a light pump-gun.

Guest canynracer
The first step is to sell the mossberg, than you will drive to your local gun merchant and purchase the Lord's shotgun, the remington 870.:mad:

laughing017.gif

That was awesome!!!

but true...