The reason I got my handgun permit... My story, what about yours?

...my first gun was given to me at age 8.  I lived in NJ/NY/CT mostly for the last 57 years.  These states are a "show cause" to obtain a pistol carry permit.  What does the application look like?  This from Westchester NY is typical:

* Proof of residency in the same location for at least 2 years

* Bank reference (notorized)

* $45 non-refundable application fee that is dated (all notorized references are to be within 30 days of the date of the initial applicaton)

* Four personal references from un-related neighbors who have known you for at least two years - notorized

* a completed application with 30 pages of questions

* Interview with police

* background check

* finger print check

* for cause hearing with a judge

* Total wait time till initial determination - at least 1 year.

If you move your residence, please start over from the beginning.  95% of all carry applications in Westchester NY are denied.  I was denied several times and never did get a permit.  In Westchester NY all guns must be locked in your home.  You must have a permit to buy a handgun.  If you go to a range, the range management must check your permit against the guns you plan to shoot. 

So, at age 57 NY enacted SAFE legislation in 2013 after Sandy.  This legislation outlawed the purchase of pistols with mags exceeding 7 rounds, existing guns had to have mag plugs to prevent loading more than 7 rounds, outlawed purchase of so-called assault weapons, required a gun registry for existing AWs, and requires a background check for all ammo purchases.  Police are given the data on ammo purchases and are directed by law to match up what you are buying with any permits you have.  

The enactment of SAFE did it for me.  I quit my job, sold my house and moved to TN.   I obtained my carry permit within 7 days of filing the paperwork with Motor Vehicles.

FREE AT LAST!

Welcome to Freedom Land man.............. :up: :up:  I saw on the news last evening that another large company is opening up a new 12 million dollar location here in Tennessee that has a home base in New York. They have already mentioned an expansion in the next two years and moving there New York division down to Tennessee also. I am seeing more and more advertisements Paid for by the state of New York and  in the commercials they are almost begging companies to come their and open up shop. They are almost promising companies the keys to the state with zero taxes of any kind for the first 10 years the business is open and they are still losing businesses faster every day. They are just to ignorant to realize their liberal politicians running the state are driving off all their industry and yet they keep re-electing them. "YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID"...................jmho

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your mother. Lost mine the same way about 9 years ago. She lived about half way to hospital but passed away in route for smoke inhalation also..............Again sorry bout your mom

It has been 5 years( will be 6 in march 2015). I miss her everyday. But i always remember her words of wisdom. Since getting my permit i haven't been able to carry every day( mostly due to where i was working) but i do have a gun in my vehicle for when I'm off. I carry to church( even though it might not be needed, I still dont want to take a chance). Since my Fiancee has her permit and as a school teacher she can have her gun at work( just in her car), I don't worry as much, but the worry part will always be there somewhat. When you have family and loved ones you care about, you will worry about what can happen. Hence I am usually the over-prepared guy. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

• Like 2

I was visiting the IN-laws in the greater Detroit area and was following gps around Detroit one day going to a Museum and had to reroute several time because I wasn't going down that street. That was at Christmas and I had permit by May.

As an Eagle Scout, I had it engrained in me to be prepared. Getting a permit was a continuation of this motto. I hope to God I never have to ever draw it in self defense, but I'm not going to let myself be victimized if I can help it.
  • Like 1