Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

How's prepping gonna help, unless you just mean hole up if it becomes airborne? And even so, if contracted, about all you could do is treat it like cholera if you had to handle it yourself. That would keep you from dying from the vomiting/dysentery part, hedge your odds some.

And btw, how many preppers know the simple treatment for cholera and have the ingredients on hand in quantity? If SHTF enough for sanitation to break down long enough, cholera will be a given. One of the oldest and most common scourges of mankind.

- OS

Air doesn't just magic itself around. Think influenza. A major factor in its spread was the concentration of casualties from WW I . Keep yourself away from the infected and you are giving yourself a fighting chance.

Edited by tnguy

Scariest part of that? You won't know until about 3 weeks whether anybody you holed up with has it or not! :panic:

- OS

Because if you can't cover all contingencies, you shouldn't cover any contingencies.

It may be that if things happened to get bad, laying low for a week or two could increase your odds pretty well. If this get bad, the guy who run the water treatment plant may turn up for work. Or not. At the worst, you have extra provisions in place for the next hard winter.

Case #2 in Texas - one of the staff taking care of patient 0

http://news.yahoo.com/state-health-officials-2nd-ebola-case-texas-102955708.html

That story says there's also a second person in isolation at the hospital and they've stopped taking new patients at the emergency room.  Now we've got a whole new issue to be concerned with that wasn't thought of... What happens at these rural hospitals if someone shows up with ebola and they have to shut it down?  Back home where my parents are, there is one hospital within 60 minutes at a minimum.  ER goes down and that puts a whole bunch of people at risk.

That dr. that dressed up in protective garb in the Atlanta airport had said last week that we need to set up fever tents and keep these people away from the hospitals - he seems better suite dot head the CDC than the current dude.

Edited by Sam1

Case #2 in Texas - one of the staff taking care of patient 0

http://news.yahoo.com/state-health-officials-2nd-ebola-case-texas-102955708.html

That story says there's also a second person in isolation at the hospital and they've stopped taking new patients at the emergency room. Now we've got a whole new issue to be concerned with that wasn't thought of... What happens at these rural hospitals if someone shows up with ebola and they have to shut it down? Back home where my parents are, there is one hospital within 60 minutes at a minimum. ER goes down and that puts a whole bunch of people at risk.

That dr. that dressed up in protective garb in the Atlanta airport had said last week that we need to set up fever tents and keep these people away from the hospitals - he seems better suite dot head the CDC than the current dude.

Hopefully health care workers will take more seriously a patient when he states he just came from west Africa and isn't feeling well; perhaps even ask the patient if he/she has been exposed to the affected.

I'm assuming this health care worker is one of the original ones who saw him prior to discharge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF

Apparently there are some more potential cases in Oklahoma and Georgia. How fast it is moving is surprising and scaring a lot of people including me. My choice not to move to town is starting to look like a good one.

We're all coming to your house for an ebola party; gonna invite an infected person over and all jump in the hot tub with 'em!

We're all coming to your house for an ebola party; gonna invite an infected person over and all jump in the hot tub with 'em!

Anyone dead set on coming to my house unannounced better be better armed than me. The first reported case in Tennessee means anyone who comes a knocking is infected in my mind. Not going to take a chance on getting sick just to be nice. No one will be coming in my house. And trust me when I say I would prefer not to litter my lawn with contaminated blood either.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 3

For us the rural folks, hope no one within the post office services sneezes on the mail. Doesn't the EV live like many hours out of the host?

Direct sunlight will kill it. Kinda like Nancy Pelosi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

Troops from Fort Campbell will be deploying to Libera as part of the DoD force to help with the Ebola fight.  Apparently with just gloves and masks to fight the virus.  Hope they don't bring anything they didn't deploy with back with them sometime next year.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/blog/2014/10/08/fort-campbell-troops-ebola-mission-wont-get-full-protective-gear/

From what I have seen so far, the military is building extra hospital facilities and stuff like that. I'm betting that they will be pretty isolated from the locals and their bugs. Getting a bunch of our folks killed over there would be worse than political suicide.

From what I have seen so far, the military is building extra hospital facilities and stuff like that. I'm betting that they will be pretty isolated from the locals and their bugs. Getting a bunch of our folks killed over there would be worse than political suicide.

That's the official line right now.  But mission creep happens with every deployment the military has ever gone on in my lifetime.  Once someone sees how military is more equipped and more capable than any other government org or NGO, they tasking orders will follow.  I can't see this deployment being any different from any other where Soldiers are forced to pick up the slack others can't or won't carry themselves.

This guy has a good point about how we have no idea how many Ebola infected Liberians are out of the quarantine zone.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/abc-medical-expert-very-real-possibility-u-s-soldier-contracts-ebola/

I only hope they don't contract locals to run logistics on the camps that will be set up for laundry, chow hall, ect...

Edited by btq96r

Radio said a woman was admitted in Hermitage with Ebola like symptoms but was then determined not to be infected. I thought the tests took a couple days?

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/Mt-Juliet-Gas-Station-Closed-After-Woman-Reports-Ebola-Like-Symptoms-278934111.html?lc=Smart

I'd look at these reports with high skepticism. People puke and crap themselves by the thousands every day. Now folks are panicking because the hype.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I'd look at these reports with high skepticism. People puke and crap themselves by the thousands every day. Now folks are panicking because the hype.

Also, there are a lot of attention seeking people out there that would love the drama.

• Like 2

Also, there are a lot of attention seeking people out there that would love the drama.

Oh, I didn't even think about this. Better check with my sister and aunt to make sure they don't have it. They almost got mad cow, SARS, swine flu, bird flu and anthrax.

• Like 2