Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

I'd expect the doctors and missionary who required treatment recently had taken measures to prevent exposure to Ebola. 

Um, no.  When you're swimming in ebola patients in third world conditions it is a little different than preventative steps which can be taken in civilized society.  You really can't compare the two.

I caught an interview on NPR with a doctor who worked with Dr. Rick Sacra, the US doctor who was transported to Emory. He said they're all pretty sure that he and the sick nurses contracted it outside the ebola ward. Probably while treating other patients suspected of "normal" diseases over there like typhoid, dengue, malaria, etc. who actually had undiagnosed ebola. In other words, they were probably infected the same way most others were infected: through contact with early-stage or misdiagnosed carriers.

There are unintentional side-effects to the way they're trying to isolate ebola over there. Patients suspected of ebola are placed in an isolation ward with other suspected patients. Most of them probably have malaria, etc, but one or more will likely have ebola. That means that in the confines of the isolation ward, they all end up with ebola. In short, if you go to the hospital with a non-ebola fever, you will probably be exposed to ebola in the isolation ward. The people have figured this out, so they quit going to the hospital. That means ebola, malaria, typhoid, etc. are all on the rise due to spreading exposure and lack of treatment across the spectrum. Add in the crazy people who are saying the government is conspiring to gve ebola to anyone that goes to the hosptial and you quickly spiral out of control.

We'll have some ebola cases here in the US, but our advanced medical system, public sanitation, and superior ability to do real isolation (plus the fact that witch doctors aren't covered under most plans) will keep this one from being widespread here. That will be of little consolation to the handful of people in the U.S. who will end up in the hospital bleeding from their eyes.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

My bad and had my mind in one place while typing in another and I should know better then to do that these days cause it will turn out like this when i let it happen............sorry buddy

No offense taken bruthah...!!  We all have them little sinkin spells... 

Keep up the good work...

leroy

We'll have some ebola cases here in the US, but our advanced medical system, public sanitation, and superior ability to do real isolation (plus the fact that witch doctors aren't covered under most plans) will keep this one from being widespread here. That will be of little consolation to the handful of people in the U.S. who will end up in the hospital bleeding from their eyes.

^This, most people have no Idea how well prepared the US healthcare system and our population actually is for a pandemic when compared to these countries in Africa. The pictured row of isolation carts extends several dozen yards down the hallway and is just the tip of the iceberg. The kicker is that they aren't there b/c of the recent ebola outbreak, they've been lined up there "at the ready" since before I started working here in 2007. . .  I'm not saying it won't ever happen here, I just don't see ebola being the pandemic that we have been planning for or worried about.

14539929620_f47a85ca8d.jpg

• Like 1

The only thing that surprises me about an isolated ebola case in the U.S. is that there wasn't one in London, Frankfurt, Paris, or Dubai before it came here.

We just got lucky to be first?

I've been to all those places and don't remember seeing a lot of west African folks though. Ugandans, Kenyans, Somalis and Ethiopians. Perhaps we just have a bigger west African community in the US, so law of averages maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone outside of west Africa was bound to get it at some point. I was thinking of those places due to their being busier international hubs than us (even busier than JFK in NYC) along with their proximity to western Africa. I suspect there are more flights from west Africa to Europe or Dubai than direct to the US. 

I still don't think this will be a major health crisis in developed nations. It's certainly a psychological one that can have other social and economic impacts, but from a pure infection/mortality count, I don't think it's something to get worked up about from the big picture. But like I said, to the one laying in bed bleeding from every orifice, it doesn't matter that they're statistically insignificant to the greater population.

Edited by monkeylizard

We just got lucky to be first?

I've been to all those places and don't remember seeing a lot of west African folks though. Ugandans, Kenyans, Somalis and Ethiopians. Perhaps we just have a bigger west African community in the US, so law of averages maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't UK ban flights from infected countries? Maybe I'm wrong. Of course passengers could change flights in other countries.

^This, most people have no Idea how well prepared the US healthcare system and our population actually is for a pandemic when compared to these countries in Africa. The pictured row of isolation carts extends several dozen yards down the hallway and is just the tip of the iceberg. The kicker is that they aren't there b/c of the recent ebola outbreak, they've been lined up there "at the ready" since before I started working here in 2007. . .  I'm not saying it won't ever happen here, I just don't see ebola being the pandemic that we have been planning for or worried about.

14539929620_f47a85ca8d.jpg

These are inspected / serviced and rotated on a routine basis?

plastic and rubber degrades with exposure to environmental factors (temperature, light, air, aging, etc)

Example, I am replacing a few wall switches.  There are plastic tabs on them that are crumbling despite being hidden behind the wall-plates (15 years).

Edited by R_Bert

These are inspected / serviced and rotated on a routine basis?

plastic and rubber degrades with exposure to environmental factors (temperature, light, air, aging, etc)

Example, I am replacing a few wall switches.  There are plastic tabs on them that are crumbling despite being hidden behind the wall-plates (15 years).

Yeah, the ID/EP departments seem to have schedules for maintaining, inspecting, and rotating into service pretty much everything currently in storage in case of emergency. It's an amazing thing seeing behind the scenes where all the little things that keep a hospital VUMC's size running like a clock.

Shoot, today they are vaccinating over 12,000 staff, students, and faculty for the flu, but the event is also used as a training for mass vaccination of the population in general god forbid it should ever be required.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/09/annual-flulapalooza-event-happens-oct-1/

• Like 2

This ebola scare is way, way overblown.  It's just the media hyping the crisis-du-jour. It's not airborne. You have a greater risk of being killed by an escaped zoo animal than contracting ebola.

Oh no, what kind of zoo animal? :hiding:

:panic:

lol

Edited by Batman
  • Like 4

Oh no, what kind of zoo animal? :hiding:

:panic:

lol

Take your pick.

1) Evelyn and Jim: The gorillas that escaped, more than once, from the Los Angeles Zoo.
2) Nala: The lioness that escaped into Disney's backyard
3) Virginia: The wolf that escaped from the Los Angeles Zoo and may or may not have been recaptured.
4) The 170+ Rhesus monkeys that took over Long Island in the 1930s.
5) Ken Allen: The "Hairy Houdini" of the San Diego Zoo.
6) Nikica: The hippopotamus that wouldn't stay put.
7) The nine bison that ran loose in Oakland only to be coaxed back into their enclosure with bread.
8) Satara: The rhino that ran away from home after his mate left him for a younger rhino.
9) The penguin that escaped a Japanese aquarium.
10) And of course, the clever Bronx Zoo cobra.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/living/buzzfeed-cnn-escaped-zoo-animals/

BTW, today at work to a co work I said, it won't be long and they will be selling vaccines for both Ebola and Enterovirus D68.  He replied or they will give them to the people they like.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be scared of Ebola in the USA. Likely not too much worse than a bad flu. Nothing a month or 2 in icu wouldn't cure.

Except, I have 3 babies, and therefore Ebola scares the hell out of me.

I'm not counting on that.  I may be more likely to catch the flu, but I've never known it to be 50% fatal.  

I've had the flu about 4 times in my life.  Survived them all.  I'm betting that if those doctors who were treated with that "miracle serum" hadn't gotten the serum, they'd probably be dead.  Or at least messed up for life.  That stuff causes internal hemorrhaging.  Probably permanent damage.  Just speculation of course, since I'm not a doctor from the CDC telling everyone that there isn't anything to worry about.

Oh yeah,  I'm worried about the enterovirus, too, since it's hitting little kids.

Sheesh.  I'm gonna self-quarantine now.

Edit:  I just re-read your post.  I get it now.  

Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 1

Take your pick.

1) Evelyn and Jim: The gorillas that escaped, more than once, from the Los Angeles Zoo.
2) Nala: The lioness that escaped into Disney's backyard
3) Virginia: The wolf that escaped from the Los Angeles Zoo and may or may not have been recaptured.
4) The 170+ Rhesus monkeys that took over Long Island in the 1930s.
5) Ken Allen: The "Hairy Houdini" of the San Diego Zoo.
6) Nikica: The hippopotamus that wouldn't stay put.
7) The nine bison that ran loose in Oakland only to be coaxed back into their enclosure with bread.
8) Satara: The rhino that ran away from home after his mate left him for a younger rhino.
9) The penguin that escaped a Japanese aquarium.
10) And of course, the clever Bronx Zoo cobra.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/living/buzzfeed-cnn-escaped-zoo-animals/

BTW, today at work to a co work I said, it won't be long and they will be selling vaccines for both Ebola and Enterovirus D68.  He replied or they will give them to the people they like.

That would suck to get killed by a penguin

• Like 1

But sure, some new strain of something could arise to be a world changer. Maybe Ebola becomes airborne and even more infectious. But what much more likely is a strain of influenza or even the common cold, which picks up the immunodeficient aspect ala HIV -- that could be a Doomsday Bug.

- OS

The part that worries me is that it has access to "a new people"...new environment, whathaveyou, I believe the chance of mutation goes up significantly when it gets out of its "bed".  In its current state...its not the threat people make it out to be.  However, it is more likely to mutate now into something possibly worse than imagined.  

I am currently more worried about the "island" the Cassini probe has been monitoring on Titan.

Edited by atlas3025

County health director dude there is saying it is likely a second person close to patient 0 has it now.  They're monitoring them, but that's all they said

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/01/texas-ebola-patient/16525649/

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents: The fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said. "So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

I love it. The whole media blow up. "OMG EBOLA". Its not that big of a deal. In fact, it might get worse from people always using hand sanitizers. I bet most of our immune system is shot to hell. And yes, there is a difference between clean and over the top. But hey, no one lives for ever. And if I am going to die, im going out kicking and screaming while covered in someone elses blood. 

This ebola scare is way, way overblown.  It's just the media hyping the crisis-du-jour. It's not airborne. You have a greater risk of being killed by an escaped zoo animal than contracting ebola.

Yep, compare to being a kid in the 40's and 50's confronting the quite real odds of polio. Perspective.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot