When clearing your pistol, what do you do with the one in the chamber?

That prolly works ok with that long barrel 1911 in your avatar, as ejection port is well back from end of barrel...

Doesn't work so hot with a 3" compact as your hand is likely to get in front of barrel trying to do that maneuver...

- OS

If your hand will fit on top of the slide without being out in front of the business end, then you should be able to do that technique even with a 3", because you hand on the slide will move along with the slide as it goes back.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OHGC member? :lol:

MHGC member, that would be Mike's Hollow Gun Club,

it's a very exclusive club :lol:

Oh Shoot said

Me too, but of course I ensure that it's a perfect vertical flight so that it comes down safely, otherwise as we all know, if it is even 1° off perfect axis, it comes down and kills 70+ revelers in Baghdad.

I carry a laser balanced digital level in my tool belt for just this purpose. Along with it is a folding pistol clamp certified by the TN Dept of Weights and Measures for proper calibration :rofl:

If your hand will fit on top of the slide without being out in front of the business end, then you should be able to do that technique even with a 3", because you hand on the slide will move along with the slide as it goes back.

No serrations on barrel end of either of my semis, can't reach port holding other end; very clumsy way to rack either way trying to cover port.

I actually don't much care where the live shell falls ... and I'm not fussy about reusing; these Golden Sabers don't unseat...I've racked same shell a dozen times just to see in both Kahr and XD.

- OS

No serrations on barrel end of either of my semis, can't reach port holding other end; very clumsy way to rack either way trying to cover port.

I actually don't much care where the live shell falls ... and I'm not fussy about reusing; these Golden Sabers don't unseat...I've racked same shell a dozen times just to see in both Kahr and XD.

- OS

Fair enough, with my XD, as others have said, I would rather rack it, and catch the round in my front pocket.:lol:

Guest justaman30

I've never been too savvy on acrobatics or quick unnecessary hand motions with a loaded gun in my hand. I just eject the magazine, then rack the slide back allowing the round to fall to the table in front of me. It's not too far to fall and I have never damaged a round.

My EDC is a PT 140, never had a problem with covering my hand but I see your point. Main thing is not to damage round, and ALL rounds will set back, may not be able to see with naked eye, but they will and it dont take much , check SAMMI. :cry:

I've been practising the technique of using your slide hand to cover the ejection port, and I'm happy to say it works pretty well for me. So simple, don't know why I didn't figure that out on my own. Thanks everyone!

Do what you want, but be aware that using this method can set a round off in the ejection port.

As the round comes out of the chamber, and comes into contact with your hand covering the ejection port, the primer can be pushed against the ejector, as it releases from the extractor hook, with enough force to detonate the round. I have seen this happen twice with my own eyes during the "unload and show clear" process after the shooter completed a stage in an IPSC match. Powder burns and moderate bleeding occured as a result.

I would reccomend letting the ejected round fall to the ground if a better surface is not available. If you suspect the round has been damaged by it's fall drop it into a pocket until you can discard it or verify it's condition.

Do what you want, but be aware that using this method can set a round off in the ejection port.

As the round comes out of the chamber, and comes into contact with your hand covering the ejection port, the primer can be pushed against the ejector, as it releases from the extractor hook, with enough force to detonate the round. I have seen this happen twice with my own eyes during the "unload and show clear" process after the shooter completed a stage in an IPSC match. Powder burns and moderate bleeding occured as a result.

I would reccomend letting the ejected round fall to the ground if a better surface is not available. If you suspect the round has been damaged by it's fall drop it into a pocket until you can discard it or verify it's condition.

I really find this hard to believe. What type of pistol did this occur in ?

Both were 1911 type topends. I don't recall if they were single stack or hi-cap. A third incident occured at the '96 USPSA Nationals but I did not witness that one.

The shooters were ejecting the round with force and not easing the slide back. As the round comes off the hook it kicks to the left instead of up (because the shooter's hand is there) and the primer comes into contact with the tip of the ejector. BOOM.

Edit to correct the year. I'm getting old.

Edited by skwirl
...while pointing the pistol in a safe direction, place your hand over the slide covering the ejection chamber and tilt it downwards then rack the slide back and the round will fall into your hand.

Ditto... I ease the slide back.

No problems as of yet doing it that way.

i drop the mag, then point the pistol at the ground, cupping my palm over the ejection port. i open the slide so as it opens, it ejects the round into my palm, i close my palm. i then operate the slide 2 or 3 more times then i lock it open. i then raise the pistol slightly (still aimed at the ground) to visually see down the barrel, then i look in my palm to verify i have the round.

Guest VolGrad

I usually just discharge the first one into the floor. :hat:

Just kidding. I usually let it drop to the floor/table/etc. I really doubt there would be any damage caused by this. No need to risk getting something stuck or slammed in the action.

I have a Glock, so I shoot myself in the ass.

I will do the slow slide and have it fall in my hand, and then normally put it towards the bottom of my reload magazine. I try to avoid re-chambering the same round if I can help it.