RIP Rob Bironas

leftyk82

Ex-Titan Rob Bironas killed in crash

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 3:51 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 21, 2014 6:04 AM CDT
Posted by Maurice Miller - email

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Former Titans kicker Rob Bironas was pronounced dead at Vanderbilt Hospital after a late night crash in Nashville.

The 36-year-old was driving on Battery Lane when he lost control of his SUV, hit several trees and careened into a ravine.

The vehicle was upside down when Metro police arrived, according to spokesman Don Aaron.

Aaron tells Channel 4 News that Bironas was traveling at a high rate of speed when the crash occurred.

Investigators do not believe drugs or alcohol were factors.

Bironas married Rachel Bradshaw, the daughter of NFL hall of famer Terry Bradshaw, in June.

A Metro police chaplain spoke with her shortly after the crash, according to Aaron.

Bironas spent nine years with the Titans, setting several NFL records along the way.

He was released from the team in March but continued to call the Nashville-area home.

The Titans could not immediately be reached for comment.
RIP Rob. He was good friends with a couple we know, and always heard he was a great guy. Prayers for him and his family. I came through there not 20 minutes after it happened. Thought it was a head on collision because of all the emergency personnel. It's on a very dangerous double curve in the road that I will not be taking home again.

Sad news, he was one of the best kickers in the NFL. He has the record for the most points/field goals in a game, I believe was 8 FG's for 26 Pt's. The Titans won the game with no TD's, it was all Bironas. He was a better kicker than Al Del Greco was, Bironas had more range and kept his accuracy unlike Automatic AL. AL started missing goals later in his carreer and everybody started calling him Semi-Automatic AL. A friend of mine said he thought Bironas was talking to Detroit so I guess he decided not to retire, he was still young enough to play, such a tragic loss.

Edited by K191145

just saw a disturbing news story on WBIR,   They have a recording of a call to the police.  The call was made by a woman moments before the wreck.  She basically accused Bironas of trying to run her and her husband off the road.  In the call she commented how he must be drunk or on drugs based on how he was acting as he pulled along side of them.  

The news bit also went on to say Bironas' wife said he went missing from their home around 11 pm that night.

Here is a link to their news bit

http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/2014/09/22/woman-says-rob-bironas-tried-to-run-her-off-the-road/16077931/

Edited by Mike.357

I find it hard to believe he was drunk or on drugs.  There really is no timeline for it from what we know so far.  The police were very quick to come out with the statement that neither were involved.  My first thought when they said it was how would they know that fact so fast.

Hard to speculate.

Terrible tragedy no matter what.

Does any know of a concussion history with him?

just saw a disturbing news story on WBIR,   They have a recording of a call to the police.  The call was made by a woman moments before the wreck.  She basically accused Bironas of trying to run her and her husband off the road.  In the call she commented how he must be drunk or on drugs based on how he was acting as he pulled along side of them.  

The news bit also went on to say Bironas' wife said he went missing from their home around 11 pm that night.

Here is a link to their news bit

http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/2014/09/22/woman-says-rob-bironas-tried-to-run-her-off-the-road/16077931/

I heard the 911 call last night, the thing that struck me was that the caller said they got out of the vehicle to confront him and he sped away.  Did they threaten him or did he feel threatened by them?  Something gives me the feeling that this appears to be a case of road rage gone bad, real bad and the caller made the call AFTER the crash maybe to try and put the blame on Boronas (not knowing it was him) once they seen him crash.  In any case they need to interview the caller and her husband, maybe check if they have been involved in this kind of incident (road rage) before.

I talked about this with guys at work.  One guy offered up Ambien as a possible solution.  Dunno if I spelled it right but apparently that stuff can really mess with people. Especially if any alcohol at all is involved.

This is a really tragic event.  I hate it for his loved ones and anyone who was involved

I talked about this with guys at work.  One guy offered up Ambien as a possible solution.  Dunno if I spelled it right but apparently that stuff can really mess with people. Especially if any alcohol at all is involved.

This is a really tragic event.  I hate it for his loved ones and anyone who was involved

I am not saying that it's not possible, but I have taken ambien many many times and have never had any issues. When we would deploy, we would get an ambien at wheels up and a go-pill 18 hours later with no side effects whatsoever. On a couple occasions we even had to return to base (RTB) and had to work through the ambien and again, no side effects. I am not saying there can't be someone that is affected by it but I think too many times its used as an excuse for bad behavior.
I do find it strange that a wife would report her husband after only two hours of being gone (one story) and 911 to boot. There is definitely more than is being reported.

one guy at work said he had taken it and sleepwalking always happened.   I am not saying Ambien was involved.

There is a lot on the webz now about this story.

The only meds I had issues with is Mefloquine, a malaria pill we would take on Mondays. We called it Manic Monday because it would give you some freaky dreams which many of us experienced.

If you screw up and take a second dose, it is bad ju-ju. Its easy to do if you leave the bottle on the night stand.

I guess, I never took a double dose that I knew of but then again I don't know the milligrams of what they gave us either. My current script is for 10mg, and on the rare occasions that I need one I cut them in half.