Anyone else getting ready for duck season ?

Guest nitrous_mike

Guest nitrous_mike

Since we have not had any rain to talk about here I figured I should get some of my field decoys out and give them a bath.

oldfielddeeks.jpg

After I took the picture I realized I had to get some more brush cut.

A few weeks later (yesterday and today), we finally get down to a bean field we have leased for this year and got it brushed up pretty well considering it was with just one load.

beanfield1.jpg

beanfield2.jpg

beanfield3.jpg

beanfield4.jpg

beanfield5.jpg

beanfield6.jpg

We got the gates closed this afternoon and did some patching on the floor so none of our fat asses will fall in. I have yet to understand why the farmers son drug the blind out in the middle of the field and facing straight east like he did but we will pull it to one of the tree lines as soon as we get enough water to float it.

Well that is one down and three more spots to go, I am still waiting on enough water to get to my better spot I got in Hatchie that still needs a floor put in and brush. Maybe after the rain they are calling for this week I can get to it and get some pictures of it as well. Last time I was down there looking my millet looked pretty good from where I could get to I just hope it works good in a timber hole, its the first year in 13 years that I have planted anything in there.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant wait for duck season to open...i typically wont hunt anything until after the first frost (got that one out of the way last night, probably will get the second tonight!) and i cant wait to go after the ducks and geese. i'm glad you posted this, i need to dig my decoys out as well...

Yeah can't wait to go, bought me a 10 gauge and it wants to hunt.

wow a 10ga! what made you go that route? just longer distance? i've not had any problems dropping them with my 12's...but a few of my hunting buddies have gone to the 3.5" 12's and they like them. i wouldnt want to shoot a 10 all day!

I also have no 12 gauges left traded 2 of them for a Saiga 12. Like I said I shot alot of rounds from the 10 gauge and it really isn't that bad and it will reach out there.

what type of 10ga do you have? i mainly hunt with my Mossberg 500 in 12ga, i put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and it helped the turkey loads tremendously! i've been thinking about getting a semi-auto to hunt with...not sure if i'd like them though...afraid i'd get to trigger happy ;)

Guest nitrous_mike

I hunt my BPS10 and have for over 12 years it is not near as bad as people make them out to be. The only down side is the price of shells and the weight of the gun. I bought a Benelli Super Nova the first of last year just because it was so much lighter to carry and the price of 3.5's for a 12 is still a few bux cheaper a box. Most of the time I will carry both guns with me when I go and I will usually shoot #2's and BB unless its the very first of the season and I will shoot some 3" #4's since most of the ducks will decoy in tight for me.

The biggest thing that sways me to shoot the 10 more is just the size of the load, I can find 1~7/8- 1~3/4 all day long for it but you have to hunt to find anything heavier then 1~3/8 in a 3.5" 12. I did buy three cases of black cloud this year in #2's they claim it to be 1~1/2 and they actually feel like a good load when you shoot them.

I have a single shot NEF 10 and love it. I like the single shot more of a challenge and helps me be more patient. I am going to use the Saiga 12 for Turkey as soon as I get me a choke. May try to find a good choke for bird hunting and shoot some skeet with it to try and see how good it will do.

I have a single shot NEF 10 and love it. I like the single shot more of a challenge and helps me be more patient. I am going to use the Saiga 12 for Turkey as soon as I get me a choke. May try to find a good choke for bird hunting and shoot some skeet with it to try and see how good it will do.

sweet! i love the NEF single shots...i have a few in 12ga and wouldnt take anything for them...

Maybe I will use my 10 gauge for that J/K!!!

That would work, and you wouldn't have skin it, you wouldn't have to de bone it, you would have a nice shreadded rabbit ready for stew!:)

Guest Grizzly Johnson
Yeah can't wait to go, bought me a 10 gauge and it wants to hunt.

Would that be the one you picked up from me?

wow a 10ga! what made you go that route? just longer distance? i've not had any problems dropping them with my 12's...but a few of my hunting buddies have gone to the 3.5" 12's and they like them. i wouldnt want to shoot a 10 all day!

I love my 10ga. Remington SP-10 with 26" barrel and wood stocks with parkerized finish. I just like to kill em with the first shot for sure.....

I can't wait for duck season..... our early goose season was a flop for the 2nd year in a row......

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nitrous_mike

Well this lil rain we got last week finally brought up my timber hole enough to where I could get in and get started on tearing out my old floor and get some measurements. Well I was kinda let down that my millet has all laid down but after seeing more ducks then I can ever remember seeing get up off of the spot at one time I just hope there is some millet left for the opener. I tried to get some pictures of the groups that got up but its kinda hard to hold a boat still in the wind and take pictures all on your own lol.

Here are some pictures of the hole as it sits now.

hatchie08.jpg

hatchie081.jpg

hatchie082.jpg

hatchie083.jpg

hatchie084.jpg

hatchie085.jpg

My bean field is still dry but we did see several ducks trying to work it yesterday while we were up there to pay the rest of the lease. If we do not get any rain I want to atleast hunt it even if it is dry just to see how it might work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nitrous_mike

Well today was the opener and I spent it like I did last year sitting on the couch. I would have gone but the Hatchie Hilton is still not finished we do have a pretty and shinny deck that looks a lot like a refuge observation tower. I was feeling pretty sick today so I did not even make it down to work on it since my buddy that owns the land went shopping this morning with his dad I did not feel comfortable going by myself. Hopefully I can shake this crud and be productive tomorrow and get the walls up and some dog wire for the brush that I have cut.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Hatchie Hilton that I took the other day when my buddy David was working...... Hey its hard to take the pictures and work too.....

hatchiehilton.jpg

hatchiehilton3.jpg

Here at the Hatchie Hilton we even have a year round pool.

hatchiehiltonpool.jpg

Here are some picture of what the old blind used to look like, you can see the old joists under the new blind.

frontbefore.jpg

backbefore.jpg

I have more then doubled the size of the blind and raised it over a foot with an extra foot on the front for a shooting deck. I guess we can start using a dip net to catch the ducks instead of shooting them seeing as this boy will have us about 10' out of the water lol.