carry on Sunday?

Guest GLOCKGUY

Guest GLOCKGUY
Well, he is obviously full of it, but hey, sounds cool for Rhea country.

Of course, there are lots of places that serve beer that don't have a bar area at all.

- OS

Why do you say this are you a handgun carry permit Instructor?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say this are you a handgun carry permit Instructor?

The law is clear on non-carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, at least M-SA.

The sheriff is saying this "bar area" exemption thing is all the time, yes?

He's not just talking about Sundays, true?

- OS

Guest GLOCKGUY

He said any day of the week. I could see the sheriff making a mistake but why would the handgun carry permit Instructor tell me the something on different days? Is their a Instructor on this forum that can shed some light on this?

I went to the guy that gives the carry permit classes here in Rhea county and ask him about what the Sheriff said and he said yes you can goto restaurants like Red lobster and Oliver Garden and carry, as long as you don't goto the bar area. Now this guy gives the classes so you would think he knows what hes talking about I guess. My wife is going to be going to him to get her certificate to be able to get her permit. He said I can seat in on the class. So thats what I'm planing on doing..

I believe that to be 100% wrong, period, no matter who said it other than the state AG.

Look, if you want to do what he says in Rhea County, fine. If the sheriff of Rhea County does not choose to enforce that particular state law, fine.

Matter of fact, if you are concealing well, there's no reason you should ever be noticed carrying in any county, even though you ARE breaking the law. And you are breaking it in Rhea County also. Would be interesting if a State Trooper brought you to bear on it and you explain that the sheriff says it's okay :lol:

I assure you that if it were legal to carry in a Red Lobster et. al., as long as you aren't in the bar area, there would be dancing in the streets of TN among HCP holders!

(incidentally, the states that DO have that particular provision have it spelled out in their statute).

- OS

He got the info from the Chattanooga what?

IANAL and do not claim to know everything about the law, but I can read. The laws says you can not carry within the confines of a building where alcohol is served for onsite consumption. If alcohol is served in the restaurant portion as it is in Red Lobster etc...you can't legally carry there.

OS is right in that most states that allow carry in the restaurant area but not the bar area of a place specifically say that in the law. TN law makes no such distinction.

If what this Sheriff and HCP instructor say was true...we would not have been a legislative watch the last two years hoping for the bill to pass that would have allowed carry where alcohol is served for onsite consumption.

One of the very reasons the law didn't pass in that in TN law there is no legal definition of a bar. So there was now real way to allow carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and not in bar.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Ok I went to the State Trooper office here in Dayton. Their was two Troopers one said he believes the sheriff is right but the other one said no the sheriff is wrong. But they both said I could carry on Sunday here in Dayton. So to be honest thats all I really wanted to know. But I still don't no why a HCP instructor thats been a HCP instructor since they started having to have classes would say what he said. :wave:

Ok I went to the State Trooper office here in Dayton. Their was two Troopers one said he believes the sheriff is right but the other one said no the sheriff is wrong. But they both said I could carry on Sunday here in Dayton. So to be honest thats all I really wanted to know. But I still don't no why a HCP instructor thats been a HCP instructor since they started having to have classes would say what he said. :P

How come you younger folks are still constantly surprised by ignorance and incompetency in any area within, licensed by or contracted to any level of government?

And it might still not be a good idea to open carry into that Red Lobster on Sunday in Rhea County, either.

- OS

How come you younger folks are still constantly surprised by ignorance and incompetency in any area within, licensed by or contracted to any level of government?

Because the ignorant and incompetent people are old people who we used to look up to. :P

Because the ignorant and incompetent people are old people who we used to look up to. :P

Well, I guess we fooled YOU, eh? :biglol:

But really, the gummit is self-perpetuating, incompetency wise.

Folks usually fulfill the Peter Principle without even getting promoted.

- OS

I REFUSE to lie dead on the floor of any restaurant with a HCP in my wallet and NOT be armed. I'll take the jail time and my life.........thanks: yall want to hear something really funny.........I would not argue that I was breaking the law! I fully intend to break the law and protect myself and my family everywhere I go. I am educated enough to know that is not the "smart" thing to do.........but I am southern enough to do it. ------------I will NOT be a victim no matter what law is written and where::: Please feel free to stand behide me at the Red Lobster! wow....I'm really froggie on a Friday.

--sorry guys, I'm just really ticked about the amount of laws and gov taking all of our rights...I keep hoping for that ONE leader to stand up and unit us all. (THE People)

I REFUSE to lie dead on the floor of any restaurant with a HCP in my wallet and NOT be armed. I'll take the jail time and my life.........thanks: yall want to hear something really funny.........I would not argue that I was breaking the law! I fully intend to break the law and protect myself and my family everywhere I go. I am educated enough to know that is not the "smart" thing to do.........but I am southern enough to do it. ------------I will NOT be a victim no matter what law is written and where::: Please feel free to stand behide me at the Red Lobster! wow....I'm really froggie on a Friday.

--sorry guys, I'm just really ticked about the amount of laws and gov taking all of our rights...I keep hoping for that ONE leader to stand up and unit us all. (THE People)

I completely understand your frustration of the law. I would also wager that you aren't the only one that would make the same choice on this board.

However.......we try not to allow the posting of committing or intending to commit blatantly illegally activity.

Guest Revelator

I feel your pain ninja, and your defiance. Fallguy is right, you are not alone. And until that leader comes along, there are things we can all do to make things better. As I like to say, "Don't just break the law...change it!" :censored::):panic::):death::):wall::):):):):)

... As I like to say, "Don't just break the law...change it!"

I like to say that too.

The municipal parks/rec areas are a biggie for me, too, actually more so than the restaurant silliness.

I walk 30-40 miles per week for last three months or so, about half of that on greenways/bike trails, where it's illegal to carry; one goes through a park, too. One goes down side of major artery, where it is both greenway AND sidewalk, no choice but to use it if you walk that busy street.

These greenways are probably the highest crime risk areas I routinely frequent. Sometimes in early daylight or late twilight, too.

Some amazingly secluded areas for being right in the city; they certainly have a history of crimes, an old fart like me would be nuts to spend as much time on them as I do totally unarmed.

- I do not advocate breaking the law by carrying a handgun in these areas.

- I have two main pieces I routinely carry, one or the other. In just shorts and polo shirt, one is about 95% perfectly concealed; you'd really have to know what to look for to spot it. The other is 100% concealed regardless of dress or who might be looking.

- I carry printout of the "park laws" in wallet, as I believe there are two (maybe three) cases to be made in defense, the way they are written. I do prefer never to discuss them while out and about, however.

- Again, I do not advocate breaking the law by carrying a handgun in these areas.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I completely understand your frustration of the law. I would also wager that you aren't the only one that would make the same choice on this board.

However.......we try not to allow the posting of committing or intending to commit blatantly illegally activity.

I feel your pain ninja, and your defiance. Fallguy is right, you are not alone. And until that leader comes along, there are things we can all do to make things better. As I like to say, "Don't just break the law...change it!" :panic::):death::):wall::):):):):):):)
I like to say that too.

The municipal parks/rec areas are a biggie for me, too, actually more so than the restaurant silliness.

I walk 30-40 miles per week for last three months or so, about half of that on greenways/bike trails, where it's illegal to carry; one goes through a park, too. One goes down side of major artery, where it is both greenway AND sidewalk, no choice but to use it if you walk that busy street.

These greenways are probably the highest crime risk areas I routinely frequent. Sometimes in early daylight or late twilight, too.

Some amazingly secluded areas for being right in the city; they certainly have a history of crimes, an old fart like me would be nuts to spend as much time on them as I do totally unarmed.

- I do not advocate breaking the law by carrying a handgun in these areas.

- I have two main pieces I routinely carry, one or the other. In just shorts and polo shirt, one is about 95% perfectly concealed; you'd really have to know what to look for to spot it. The other is 100% concealed regardless of dress or who might be looking.

- I carry printout of the "park laws" in wallet, as I believe there are two (maybe three) cases to be made in defense, the way they are written. I do prefer never to discuss them while out and about, however.

- Again, I do not advocate breaking the law by carrying a handgun in these areas.

- OS

I respect your views and your stances on what you do and do not do, I agree. :censored:

your right...I was just kidding...I don't even really own a gun;) I'll try to keep my mouth in check a bit better.

Guest canynracer

All good ninja...just live up to your screen name :lol:

I too may choose to forget, but I dont break the law....I may or may not carry everywhere I go, depending on what color I am wearing and the day of the week...but laws are important, and we should not break them, I dont, but might and not know it...or maybe I do...

hey, are those Pop Tarts??

sheesh I sound like Obama...

All good ninja...just live up to your screen name ;)

I too may choose to forget, but I dont break the law....I may or may not carry everywhere I go, depending on what color I am wearing and the day of the week...but laws are important, and we should not break them, I dont, but might and not know it...or maybe I do...

hey, are those Pop Tarts??

sheesh I sound like Obama...

I like pop tarts, especially the frosted cherry. They are my favorite. Little powered donetts from hostess are good too.

Guest canynracer
I like pop tarts, especially the frosted cherry. They are my favorite. Little powered donetts from hostess are good too.

holy hell, we buy those in Bulk...Rocco sits on my lap, we eat the whole damn bag..