Calif judge tells Lowes quit playin w my wood

Dustbuster

What about a protective warning label for splinters? Or a warning for the potential damage my big toe could incur if I drop one on it?  :panic:

There is no saving us with just one judge. Hopefully they give every unemployed worker out there a bench!

:panic: Oh NO!!  the sky is falling the sky is falling. I just got hit in the head by a piece of wood I thought was a 2X4  but it was only 13/4 X 2/3/4..........What are we going to do. All the houses built in the last 100 years are not plum and need to be rebuilt........... :panic: :panic:

According to the judgement, the retailer was ordered to pay $1.47 million in civil penalties and costs of the investigation, and an additional $150,000 to fund further consumer protection-related activities.

This is nothing more than a government shakedown.  It is the only way to explain the abusdity of this case.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
Here's a list of things that should happen next... 1. Every Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, True Value, & mom and pops hardware stores in California should join in a counter suit. 2. Lowes should issue a public statement to let it be known the state of Kalifornia has become an unfriendly retail environment and they will close all stores, immediately. 3. California falls off into the ocean/becomes it's own separate communist state. Unfortunately none of those things will happen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Especially when misinformation could adversely affect building projects that more often than not rely on precise measurements.

Anyone working a project that relies on precise measurements shouldn't be buying their lumber at Lowe's. Most of the wood I pull off the racks there is so bent you could shoot an arrow with it.

What about a protective warning label for splinters? Or a warning for the potential damage my big toe could incur if I drop one on it?

They already have 4x8s that are labelled as known to the state of (guess where) to cause cancer.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 2

Oh, and I just realized this is a chance to lever in my own Lowes rant from the weekend.

I had a little plumbing to do so popped over to Lowes to pick up the appropriate odds-and-ends to do the job and a new can of PVC cement (since all my older cans had dried up). Was astounded to find that they no longer had 4oz cans of the cement, only 8oz. So I am expected to pay twice as much for something that I will used a teaspoon of before leaving it in a corner to find it's dried up next time I go and use it in a year or two?

Fortunately, Wal-mart still carries the 4oz cans. So they got my business for that. I would have bought the other parts there too if they'd carried them.

Also picked up an interesting tip from the interwebs: Store the cans upside-down to help prevent the cement from drying out.

Edited by tnguy

Oh, and I just realized this is a chance to lever in my own Lowes rant from the weekend.

I had a little plumbing to do so popped over to Lowes to pick up the appropriate odds-and-ends to do the job and a new can of PVC cement (since all my older cans had dried up). Was astounded to find that they no longer had 4oz cans of the cement, only 8oz. So I am expected to pay twice as much for something that I will used a teaspoon of before leaving it in a corner to find it's dried up next time I go and use it in a year or two?

Fortunately, Wal-mart still carries the 4oz cans. So they got my business for that. I would have bought the other parts there too if they'd carried them.

Also picked up an interesting tip from the interwebs: Store the cans upside-down to help prevent the cement from drying out.

I went back as seasonal help this year at lowe's. Worked in the plumbing department and was surprised that they had removed the 4oz cans. Last time I worked plumbing at lowes (8 years ago) they had them. Most people will never use that much glue.

Good tip on the cans upside down. The only good thing about the bad cans is it gives you another target to shoot! I've got an expired propane cylinder that I'm debating on poking holes thru.

I'm wanting to turn one into an aluminum melter but I'm nervous about going at it with the angle grinder.

I'm wanting to turn one into an aluminum melter but I'm nervous about going at it with the angle grinder.

Screw the filler fitting out of the top of the bottle, Fill it with water and go after is with your angle grinder.   Make sure life insurance is paid up and leave family wealthy if it does not work but I got a buddy that cuts them in half and makes mini grills out of them and that's how he does it................... :up: 

• Like 2

DO NOT SHOOT IT!!!

Good tip on the cans upside down. The only good thing about the bad cans is it gives you another target to shoot! I've got an expired propane cylinder that I'm debating on poking holes thru.

Do this

Screw the filler fitting out of the top of the bottle, Fill it with water and go after is with your angle grinder.   Make sure life insurance is paid up and leave family wealthy if it does not work but I got a buddy that cuts them in half and makes mini grills out of them and that's how he does it................... :up:

I like Lowe's, in theory (I certainly like the folks that work there).  As a contractor, we try to use them as much as possible and have a very good relationship with them.  However, only a true lumberyard will have quality lumber... and for some reason Lowe's is ALWAYS out of stock of whatever I go to get.  

I don't have any words for California.  ... ... It makes me sad when folks "in power" seemingly try to reduce the human capacity for deduction and critical thinking.    - ever see the movie "Idiocracy"?

-Peace

I already tried to get the filler out but couldn't get good enough leverage. I'll have to devise something...

Yes.  Do not grind it without purging it somehow.  Unless you want to make this year's Darwin Awards list.

Back to topic; the whole reason for the judge to do this must be common core. They must not teach fractions anymore!

How on earth will the carpenters of the future ever figure out they need to put a piece of plywood between the header boards?
  • Like 1
Framing is designed around the new measurements now.

If you go to build a house and say for instance the owner insists on using sawmill cut lumber that is true 2" x4" along with everything else, EVERYTHING is different. Mostyl your effort because that sawmill cut lumber is some tough shit.