Hot sauce deal - New code added 8/21/14

Sam1

Alright so I decided why wait, went ahead and tried it. Tried just a spot on my finger, then found a leftover piece of kielbasa my daughter didn't eat and covered it in the hot sauce.

I have to say this stuff is awesome! Very good flavor and just a low burn. Nothing like typical habanero sauce.

There is a fantastic hot sauce store at Opry Mills that I found a couple weekends ago.  It's called "Pepper Palace"  http://www.pepperpalace.com/

They had about 40 or 50 sauces and salsas to sample, I was in heaven.  Sam1, I almost picked up a bottle of the "Gib's Hellbanero Fire" but I saw that the primary ingredient was Cayenne, and I'm not too big on it.

I did pick up some great BBQ sauce though, it's pretty spicy:

http://www.pepperpalace.com/Mountain_Q_BBQ_Sauce_Jolokia_X_Hot_16_oz_p/nn215.htm

There is a fantastic hot sauce store at Opry Mills that I found a couple weekends ago.  It's called "Pepper Palace"  http://www.pepperpalace.com/

They had about 40 or 50 sauces and salsas to sample, I was in heaven.  Sam1, I almost picked up a bottle of the "Gib's Hellbanero Fire" but I saw that the primary ingredient was Cayenne, and I'm not too big on it.

I did pick up some great BBQ sauce though, it's pretty spicy:

http://www.pepperpalace.com/Mountain_Q_BBQ_Sauce_Jolokia_X_Hot_16_oz_p/nn215.htm

There are a couple of Pepper Palace locations around here, too - one in Gatlinburg and one in Knoxville (West Town Mall.)  The one in Gatlinburg has been there for years and was the first hot sauce shop I ever visited as well as being the first place I got to try some of the 'extreme' sauces.  Just FYI, there are some things like fresh, hot horseradish that have to be refrigerated and that they keep in a refrigerator behind the counter (at least they do at the one in Gatlinburg.)  That hot horseradish is a different kind of 'burn' - gets you more in your sinuses (like good wasabi.)  It is great on roast beef sandwiches.

Also I wanted to let you guys know that many of the United Grocery Outlet locations in the area currently have some good hot sauce deals.  There is a company called 'Dat'l Do It' (a play on the name of the Datil pepper, I think) that - although not necessarily a 'premium' brand - makes some pretty good hot sauces.  I do a lot of shopping at UGO and visit various locations in the area to see what deals they might have and lately I have been seeing various varieties (different stores have different varieties) of hot sauces made by that company.  The bottles probably hold about the same amount as a standard McIlhenney's Tobasco sauce bottle and they are 3 for $1.00.  I have bought a crapload of them for my stockpile.  I figure that they should be good on tacos and to add to some Frank's Red Hot in a buffalo sauce if nothing else.

I also found at one UGO (the one in Madisonville) some Bufalo chipotle sauce.  I love both the Bufalo red jalapeno sauce and their chipotle sauce as general purpose hot sauces.  Again, not a 'premium' brand and not a 'brutal' but good stuff on tacos and the like with a nice, low burn.

I am also currently working on the first batch of fermented hot sauce I have ever made.  It will be a fermented style, like Tobasco sauce, but is made with a combination of ghost chiles and habaneros (plus a small handful of jalapenos and serranos from my garden.)  I am not making a huge batch - I'm making it in a quart sized jar - but it will hopefully get my buddies and I through the months where fresh ghost chiles aren't available.  I am hoping it will preserve more of just the straight chile flavor than some ghost sauces have.

I haven't tried that barbecue sauce.  Maybe they will have it to sample the next time I am in there.  I usually make my own barbecue sauce and so I don't buy a lot of it but have bought this one (at Pepper Palace) in the past and liked it quite a bit:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/pamomabasa.html

Edited by JAB
  • Moderators
[quote name="JAB" post="1188498" timestamp="1410364023"]There are a couple of Pepper Palace locations around here, too - one in Gatlinburg and one in Knoxville (West Town Mall.) The one in Gatlinburg has been there for years and was the first hot sauce shop I ever visited as well as being the first place I got to try some of the 'extreme' sauces. Just FYI, there are some things like fresh, hot horseradish that have to be refrigerated and that they keep in a refrigerator behind the counter (at least they do at the one in Gatlinburg.) That hot horseradish is a different kind of 'burn' - gets you more in your sinuses (like good wasabi.) It is great on roast beef sandwiches. Also I wanted to let you guys know that many of the United Grocery Outlet locations in the area currently have some good hot sauce deals. There is a company called 'Dat'l Do It' (a play on the name of the Datil pepper, I think) that - although not necessarily a 'premium' brand - makes some pretty good hot sauces. I do a lot of shopping at UGO and visit various locations in the area to see what deals they might have and lately I have been seeing various varieties (different stores have different varieties) of hot sauces made by that company. The bottles probably hold about the same amount as a standard McIlhenney's Tobasco sauce bottle and they are 3 for $1.00. I have bought a crapload of them for my stockpile. I figure that they should be good on tacos and to add to some Frank's Red Hot in a buffalo sauce if nothing else. I also found at one UGO (the one in Madisonville) some Bufalo chipotle sauce. I love both the Bufalo red jalapeno sauce and their chipotle sauce as general purpose hot sauces. Again, not a 'premium' brand and not a 'brutal' but good stuff on tacos and the like with a nice, low burn. I am also currently working on the first batch of fermented hot sauce I have ever made. It will be a fermented style, like Tobasco sauce, but is made with a combination of ghost chiles and habaneros (plus a small handful of jalapenos and serranos from my garden.) I am not making a huge batch - I'm making it in a quart sized jar - but it will hopefully get my buddies and I through the months where fresh ghost chiles aren't available. I am hoping it will preserve more of just the straight chile flavor than some ghost sauces have. I haven't tried that barbecue sauce. Maybe they will have it to sample the next time I am in there. I usually make my own barbecue sauce and so I don't buy a lot of it but have bought this one (at Pepper Palace) in the past and liked it quite a bit: [url="http://www.hotsauceworld.com/pamomabasa.html"]http://www.hotsauceworld.com/pamomabasa.html[/url][/quote] Don't laugh too much but I just ran over to UGO and bought 6 bottles of the Dat'l Do-it 911 hot sauce. Pretty good for 3 for $1.00. Thanks! Alhough that was all I could find.
Got mine in and finally got the chance to try it out. On pizza of all things. That's a mighty fine sauce. Not too hot and not too sweet. Now I gotta find out where to buy it.

Thanks again Sam

Just editing to see if it will. Edited by dralarms
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
So what I did the other day was purchase about a lb of jalapenos and then assorted habenero and chile peppers from Publix. Took some apple cider vinegar, added a bit of water and sugar, and warmed it slightly. Sliced the pepper and threw them in. After a few days I had a delicious jar of hot sliced peppers that I pretty much ate with every meal I had. They are much tangier than what you would buy at the store, which I like. They add a tang/spice to your meal that I just cannot get enough of.