Update: Factory ammo with primer upside down

I'm still with Red on this one. That's probably going to happen when you produce a few million (billion?) rounds of ammo a year, but I still think it warrants a notification to the manufacturer of the issue. Not to raise a stink, but simply let them know. If they offer some kind of compensation, cool. If not, no biggie.
  • Like 3
  • Moderators

Yes, I've seen it with Blazer, Win White box, and Remington over the years.

It's an inevitability with the volume they produce. Actually, as rare as it is, the mass production QC is pretty darn good imho.

When it comes to things like WWB, I am surprised that it seems most all rounds have powder. It seems like it would be easy when manufacturing so many rounds for some of the casings not to be charged. Now, consistency is one thing but it just seems impressive that I have never had any factory duds.

Man, I'd love to tour an ammunition plant!

• 2 weeks later...
Update. I sent them the lot number and here was their reply. ----- Neil, Ship me back the one round and the original box following the instructions in the attachment. I'll replace the ammunition, plus extra to cover your shipping. Make Every Shot Count! Justin M. CCI/Speer 2299 Snake River Ave Lewiston, ID. 83501
  • Like 3

I have seen probably four or five like that in my lifetime. Definitely a rare occurrence.

Based on stuff I have sent back to them you will probably get 2-3 boxes of the ammo for your time and effort.

I had bought a bunch of CCI once. All of them had standard velocity labels on them but when I would shoot them they were going supersonic. When I looked closer at the ammo I realized they looked like minimags. I contacted them, and sent pictures, and the lot number said they were MiniMags but apparently the worker loaded the wrong labels. I got to keep the 1,500 mislabeled MiniMags and they sent me 2,500 Standard Velocity rounds for my time.

Here are pictures:

open.jpg

label2.jpg

label.jpg

Many years back I found a WW 12 gauge slug load with the projectile loaded upside-down, fresh out of the 5-pack box. Looking at it from the front it reminded me of one of the older British man-stopper rounds. That hollow base made one monster of a hollow-point appearance! We had bought these new, direct from the distributor (if not drop-shipped direct from the manufacturer). I still have that single round somewhere, probably with a handful of other "keepers" I haven't seen in a while.

Stumpy
  • 2 weeks later...