Saw an Open carry today!!!!

bersaguy

Well, saw an open carry person today coming out of Walmart as I was going in. Prime target for a gun snatch and run for sure. Man looked to be in mid 70's, was alone had what appeared to be a Glock in a holster and you could see the gun moving in the holster as he walked. The gun was in a reverse draw style on his side next to his cell phone case. He was walking with a cane in his right hand and carrying what looked like 2 or 3 bags of what ever he purchased in his left hand and had at least 1 or 2 bags hung on his left arm.  Wish I would have had a camera phone and got a picture of this. There is no one he could have prevented anyone from walking up behind him and grabbing his gun. I would not have thought half as much about it had he been pushing his purchases in a cart to his vehicle but he had all those bags draped all over his left arm and walking with a cane in his right hand........... :shrug: :shrug:

Something I have realized from talking to non-gun people is that when the think about carrying a firearm they do not realize that you can buy nicer holsters.

Well TV has them convinced you either just shove it in the back of your pants or the army issues it to you so I guess that makes sense. 

Did you ask  your fellow gun carrier if you could help him with his bags?  He might have told me to buzz off but I would have offered to help him. Might have been a good way to bring up the topic of his carry method. No one wants to see an elderly person hurt. 

• Like 1

Well. I guess the holster was one of the reason I was attracted to it was the gun did have quite a bit of movement when he walked it actually wobbled around a little and it was one of the less expensive black clothe holsters so year $600.00 in a $30.00 holster but what bothered me the most was he was walking with a cane with his right hand, The gun was a cross draw type like would have been a right hand draw possibly but then if he walks with a cane all the time he may have also thought to be able to left hand draw but would have had to reach back past his Cell phone case either way because it was in front of the holster. Then you add all of the packages and bags he was packing to his vehicle both in his left hand and hanging on his left arm there is zero defense in this instance that the man could have prevented anyone from walking up behind him and grabbing his gun and running away unless he was a Ninja with the cane and could have avoided being shot with his own gun. I guess to each his own and I am sure he felt safe but in all honesty he was in more danger than if he was unarmed....................jmho 

Did you ask  your fellow gun carrier if you could help him with his bags?  He might have told me to buzz off but I would have offered to help him. Might have been a good way to bring up the topic of his carry method. No one wants to see an elderly person hurt. 

I thought about it but you just never know how old folks are going to react plus we were both in the cross walking area of the Walmart doors how ever I did stand by the doors and make sure he was safely in his vehicle and leaving before i went into the store and he was parked right in front in one of the handicap spaces.

• Like 1

I had it happen to a friend of mine  in a Food Lion parking lot. The two guys followed him out of the store and they had more plans than just taking his gun, they planned on robbing hm with it after they got it. this happened about 8:30 one evening last Fall. They got more then they bargained for thinking old man, easy target. He had grocery bags in both hands when they snuck up behind him and one grabbed his side arm from it's holster. The guy pointed the 9MM in his face and said for him to give them all his money. He calmly set the bags of groceries on the ground and while reaching in on pocket for his money clip that they saw when he paid for his groceries he was also reaching inside his jacket for his backup 32 Caliber in his shoulder holster. he didn't pull his money clip out but he did level the 32 caliber directly in the face of the guy with his other gun. The guy started yelling "I will shoot you man, I will !!! and my buddy told him calmly "not with that gun you won't." The guy told him again he would shoot him and by now there we several other folks around after all the yelling. He told the guy to shoot him if he had the balls and the punk pulled the trigger and it went click. Then my buddy told him if he made even one move he would shoot him and the gun he was holding was loaded. He made both of them get down on their knees and he took his gun away from the punk as he heard sirens coming so he knew that police had been called. The two punks were taken to jail and he went home and ate almost totally melted Ice cream. He never carries a bullet in the tube of the gun on his hip but his back up is ready to do business with the first trigger pull.  He has done many hours of practice with his side arm and when he draws it in one smooth motion he draws the gun racks the action to load it and is ready for action with about as fast as the average person would be with one already in the tube........................ :up: 

• Like 2

I had it happen to a friend of mine  in a Food Lion parking lot. The two guys followed him out of the store and they had more plans than just taking his gun, they planned on robbing hm with it after they got it. this happened about 8:30 one evening last Fall. They got more then they bargained for thinking old man, easy target. He had grocery bags in both hands when they snuck up behind him and one grabbed his side arm from it's holster. The guy pointed the 9MM in his face and said for him to give them all his money. He calmly set the bags of groceries on the ground and while reaching in on pocket for his money clip that they saw when he paid for his groceries he was also reaching inside his jacket for his backup 32 Caliber in his shoulder holster. he didn't pull his money clip out but he did level the 32 caliber directly in the face of the guy with his other gun. The guy started yelling "I will shoot you man, I will !!! and my buddy told him calmly "not with that gun you won't." The guy told him again he would shoot him and by now there we several other folks around after all the yelling. He told the guy to shoot him if he had the balls and the punk pulled the trigger and it went click. Then my buddy told him if he made even one move he would shoot him and the gun he was holding was loaded. He made both of them get down on their knees and he took his gun away from the punk as he heard sirens coming so he knew that police had been called. The two punks were taken to jail and he went home and ate almost totally melted Ice cream. He never carries a bullet in the tube of the gun on his hip but his back up is ready to do business with the first trigger pull.  He has done many hours of practice with his side arm and when he draws it in one smooth motion he draws the gun racks the action to load it and is ready for action with about as fast as the average person would be with one already in the tube........................ :up:

That is a great story.  Makes me rethink some things. 

I wouldn't advise messing with an old guy carrying. Some of those guys can do more damage with their hands than most of us can do with our guns. I'd bet he's been carrying longer than many of us have been alive. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

That is a great story.  Makes me rethink some things. 

Yep he is a close friend of mine and comes by here many mornings for coffee and is the guy that really got me back into guns. I had got out of them since back when my home got burglarized and they took all of my guns while we were at hospital with son after car wreck. He is the reason I have my HCP. He sparked my interest in firearms again. He is a very unique person and close friend.

Edited by bersaguy

Wonder if they charged the punk with attempted murder since he pulled the trigger?

Wonder if they charged the punk with attempted murder since he pulled the trigger?

Oh yea, they charged both of them with attempted murder as there was about 3 or 4 other people standing less then 10 feet away and they saw him pull the trigger, knowing my buddy had a gun pointed right at him. I think the punk had a death wish that didn't work out for him. Now he is in the Gray Bar Motel with Bubba. Plus there was two other guys right their with their guns out and down at their sides and if things would have went south they would not have got away regardless. They got a whole log of charges filed against them from aggravated assault to attempted premeditated murder. They are both still in jail cause bond is like 1 million bucks each.

Awesome story, not that it happened of course, but the outcome!

Something I have realized from talking to non-gun people is that when the think about carrying a firearm they do not realize that you can buy nicer holsters.

Maybe he bought the holster at Walmart :D last week?