Gunshot Detection Technology

• Moderators

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/08/04/gunshot-detection-technology-fights-crime/

So this tech has been talked about for a while. Essentially, sensors placed around cities detect and triangulate where the shot came from. But really, this?

Oakland, Calif., has counted just under 2,000 gunshots this year alone, including 565 in January, all from the illegal use of a firearm within city limits. In South Bend, Ind., which installed ShotSpotter in January and so far has detected about 250 shots within a high-crime area of about 3 square miles, the technology has helped police determine when someone is shooting practice rounds with a high-powered firearm – which the police say is usually a precursor to a homicide.

shooting practice rounds with a high-powered firearm – which the police say is usually a precursor to a homicide.

Well..........if police said it...... :shrug:

:shake: What the hell do they teach in journalism school these days?

[quote name="jtmaze" post="1175974" timestamp="1407275222"]I hope they don't try and use this where I live because 250 rounds is any given Saturday afternoon.[/quote] I guess there are a bunch of us getting ready to commit homicide then... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

But not everyone thinks gunshot detection technology is a great idea.
Matt Sweetwood, who owns a photo business in Fairfield, New Jersey, says gunshot detection is an invasion of privacy, because no one can be 100 percent certain that a gun has been fired at a private residence.
“The issue is not the technology, but the rules that are applied to it,” he said. “Governments should be required to get a warrant to be able to monitor a private residence or business. I see this as no different from monitoring a cellphone, or email, or your mail.”

smilielol5.gif
Matt, being stupid should hurt.

I shot well over that today at GGC with Dmark... Silly people and their silly journalism.

I shot well over that today at GGC with Dmark... Silly people and their silly journalism.

Then according to the police you guys are!!!!!!shooting practice rounds with a high-powered firearm – which the police say is usually a precursor to a homicide........................ :stunned: :stunned: :stunned:

The only thing this will do is verify the 911 calls, nothing else.  The money could be better spent getting thugs off the street in the first place with more cops and useful gear instead of an overpriced microphone.

The only thing this will do is verify the 911 calls, nothing else.  The money could be better spent getting thugs off the street in the first place with more cops and useful gear instead of an overpriced microphone.

I agree with you 100% Sam. Problem is the people that do these things and buy this technology honestly think  it is the absolute best way to catch the bad guys because a damn good salesman told them it would even put hand cuffs on the bad guys!! The the guy that does the buying for the state or city or county is to stupid to boot the guy out of his office and stupid enough to drop several million for technology that does next to nothing to actually fight crime...............jmho

What the hell difference would it make? They know 99% of those shots in Cali are fired off in the hood, how about they start there now? They aren't doing anything to stop it, so how is the alert "Shots fired in Compton" going to help? SMDH!

What the hell difference would it make? They know 99% of those shots in Cali are fired off in the hood, how about they start there now? They aren't doing anything to stop it, so how is the alert "Shots fired in Compton" going to help? SMDH!

It will let the cops know to stay out of the area for a while because they are probably practicing to kill those same cops.

Want to stop errant gun shots, as well as random shootings? Instead of buying a multi million dollar system take that money and buy a gun for any law abiding citizen who wants one. When criminals figure out they are not the only ones with guns they will become a coward and quit.

• Like 2

I am going to agree with them that "practice" inside the city limits illegally is probably a problem.   That is where these units are installed, are inside large cities with major violence issues.    I think the journalist failed to use English well here, leading to screwy wording or possibly a third-hand rehash of information that was not understood well during the interview.   

I dunno ... any of YOU folks shoot inside the city limits illegally?   I do not, as I do not want to get arrested.  I have fired maybe 5 rounds of the powderless .22 at a rat that was bothering us, if that counts.  Which I tested first, and determined that it cannot penetrate a 2 liter bottle at 20 feet.

I am going to agree with them that "practice" inside the city limits illegally is probably a problem. That is where these units are installed, are inside large cities with major violence issues. I think the journalist failed to use English well here, leading to screwy wording or possibly a third-hand rehash of information that was not understood well during the interview.

I dunno ... any of YOU folks shoot inside the city limits illegally? I do not, as I do not want to get arrested. I have fired maybe 5 rounds of the powderless .22 at a rat that was bothering us, if that counts. Which I tested first, and determined that it cannot penetrate a 2 liter bottle at 20 feet.

So you did test first before committing a raticide. It's a short step to homicide.
  • Like 1

I honestly wonder if the things were fast enough to count the gun shots in the hoods of Chicago in one weekend. I hear people complaining all the time and read about it all the time about all of the shootings in Chicago on any given weekend yet the police seldom if ever can catch the shooter or shooters and can't seem to even find any witnesses to the shooting. Funny how that works up there. A shooting takes place in a park in broad daylight and there may be as many as 100 people in the park and not one person saw the shooter or the vehicle the shooter left in if he even left at all. the shooter was part of the crowd standing around when the police finally arrived for all the cops know. Thing is in Chicago people don't trust the police any more than they trust the shooters in many cases so they really have no place to turn unless it is to arm themselves and hope they are like Marshal Dillon and faster on the draw if time ever comes.......................jmho