Did Buford move to Texas?

Wow. I was a little surprised to see his name come up in jest here, as I was totally unaware of all the more recent developments and subsequent criticisms that must have taken place with him or his school (and on various forums) over the last 10-15 years.

I went to his CCW class at APPS on Murfreesboro Rd to get my TN carry permit when I first moved to TN back in 1997. That was my first interaction with him, and overall I was satisfied with the outcome. I liked that he didn't bullsh_t or mince words, that he talked loudly, that he projected an overall tone of confidence, that he seemed to have practical experience with the legal issues as a former LEO and frequent provider of testimony for court cases, and he was very active in teaching CCW / security classes.

He did seem to have a few quirks including being very opinionated with a "my way or the highway, I am right and everyone else is wrong" approach, and he did require everyone to dry-fire their guns while pointed at him several times during the class. I didn't really like the dry-fire drill but not because we were pointing our guns at him, but because our class was seated in rows with some students behind each other, and I didn't personally get the chance to inspect every gun in the room before the drill started so I was put on the spot to rely solely on his inspection, which to his credit he was meticulous about inspecting all guns before class began. So the dry-fire drill made me a little uncomfortable but not to the point that I objected or left the class. He explained his reasons for doing it upfront, and that it was controversial but he didn't care because he felt that it was important for students to not be afraid to point the gun and pull the trigger on another human should the need arise, which did sort of make sense although I can see many other safer methods for achieving the same outcome (photo targets, projectors, live video, dummy guns, etc). I later referred a few friends to APPS for CCW classes and sat in on a few of those as an observer, and my impression was generally unchanged. I figured he was basically an experienced, competent instructor with a few odd quirks, just like any of us.

It was only during the past few months that I heard from other LEO (active and retired) that he was involved in at least one and possibly two negligent discharges (without injury) while working MNPD, and that he had a less-than-positive reputation with most LEO. Now I just read on a few forums (after seeing this thread) that he shot his own finger in an APPS Security class in 2011. There does seem to be a lot of negative press about him and his school, and his teaching methods, so perhaps his professionalism had slipped through complacency or carelessness over the years, although I would have expected the first negligent discharge or accident to be the last, as the proper response is to then become hyper-safe much more so than even the most anal RSOs. Regardless of his history or the facts of the past situations, I hope that he teaches in a safe manner moving forward. Would hate to hear of him or someone else being hurt down the road, especially if it could have been prevented.

I wouldn't have pointed any gun at him regardless of any inspection. That's nothing short of lunacy.

Which is to call Whiley a lunatic, the real dip stick here is the person entrusted to instruct having what could be relatively inexperienced people and then instructing them to put a gun on someone they didn't intend to shoot. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1
I've known him for over ten years and even took a class through APPS as well. He had a different approach stance wise for shooting and I'm all for that IF the new - to - guns people are going to PRACTICE that way. I'd rather someone learn the basics thoroughly, and then some more, before trying non - standard practices. My .02