I Pod question

Guest UKTN

OK probably a silly question but is there a way to load tracks from a CD to an I pod? My wife wants a I pod for Christmas and would want to listen to some tracks from CD she already owns>

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

You will have to use a program to "rip" the tracks from the CDs onto the computer. Once you have the CDs ripped you can transfer them to your iPod. All of this can be accomplished through iTunes (the program that is used with the iPod).

Better yet, get a Sansa instead. It can use Windows Media Player to transfer files that are in MP3 (standard) format, instead off all the proprietary stuff. They also have metal backs, and are generally priced cheaper for more space. And you can expand their memory with MicroSD cards. Much better than Ipods.

Guest bkelm18

Perhaps I'm missing something, but all I have to do is load the CD onto the computer, then tell iTunes (which I'm fairly certain comes with iPods or is free to download) to import the CD into it's library. From there it's business as usual when transferring stuff to an iPod. No need for any 3rd party software.

I have an older Sansa... I like it, it has an fm radio as well. It takes about 10 minutes to "find" the music on the sd card, that is the only drawback. If she wants the ipod brand, so be it, but there are much better players out there if she doesn't care what brand it is.

Guest bkelm18
I have an older Sansa... I like it, it has an fm radio as well. It takes about 10 minutes to "find" the music on the sd card, that is the only drawback. If she wants the ipod brand, so be it, but there are much better players out there if she doesn't care what brand it is.

Depends on who you ask. :koolaid:

Guest EasilyObsessed
If she wants the ipod brand, so be it, but there are much better players out there if she doesn't care what brand it is.

I, in general, dislike mostly everything Apple makes, but... The iPod is a fantastic device. Sometimes, there is a reason why a product is #1 in it's market.

Guest bkelm18
FWIW, I would go with the ipod nano. Not as much space, but it is more durable. The 40-80 gig models don't take well to being dropped. My nano has been dropped many times and still keeps going.

True. I think I would use my body as a shield if I ever dropped my iPod video. On the other hand, my first iPod, which was a Gen 3 (late 2002) I think, was built like a tank. You could drop that thing all day and it wouldn't skip a beat.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but all I have to do is load the CD onto the computer, then tell iTunes (which I'm fairly certain comes with iPods or is free to download) to import the CD into it's library. From there it's business as usual when transferring stuff to an iPod. No need for any 3rd party software.

Thats how mine works!! My son has a walkman mp3 player and his is a pain in the a$$ to load. IPOD good.:wave:

iPod is absolutely the way to go. Don't listen to these other guys about Sansa, they're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

The Sansa is simpler to use, NO proprietary software (unless you really feel the need for videos, and then that software is extremely small and uninrusive), you can drag-and-drop your music on without the need for a proprietary program or file format, AND it's cheaper! I don't need any program at all, even Windows Media Player, to load music on to mine. I can just drag and drop it into the "MUSIC" folder, though Windows Media Player Synch makes it a bit more organized for computer viewing.

Let's not forget practically infinite storage space.

Angus, that problem is fixed on the newer models. Mine is an e260, and I have it nearly full and then the MicroSD card IS full, and it takes 15 seconds tops. It was instant before I added in videos and then about 600 tracks.

You want indestructible? Creative Zen Stone. My friend has one, and he swings it like some people do with their keys on those necklaces. All the time. It's fown off, HARD multiple times and keeps going. He's even run over it once, just ot see fi it would still work. It still does. It's a simpler player, with only text for the display, but it's extremely tough.

Face it people, with Ipod, you're paying for the name. There ARE better players, but they aren't made by Ipod, so they don't get as much buzz. Ipods are over-priced with comparable music players. You can find an MP3 player with the exact same functions for $50 less. And it own't need proprietary software, either.

Ok IPOD for us old people

I plug up my IPOD and put in a cd and it ask if I want to put it in my libary. I hit OK button. And its done.

How much easier can it be?

Also easy to buy songs. Off Itunes

You know thats what is good about THIS forum, nobody gets upset if you ask a simple question. I am on a couple of other Internet forums including a motorcycle one and other gun ones and you almost get to the point where you don't want to ask a question. Not here thank goodness. I thought that was the way it would work but wanted to check. By the way for us married folks I am sure you will understand if my wife wants an I Pod that's what she will get!!!!!!

Guest Verbal Kint
The Sansa is simpler to use, NO proprietary software (unless you really feel the need for videos, and then that software is extremely small and uninrusive), you can drag-and-drop your music on without the need for a proprietary program or file format, AND it's cheaper! I don't need any program at all, even Windows Media Player, to load music on to mine. I can just drag and drop it into the "MUSIC" folder, though Windows Media Player Synch makes it a bit more organized for computer viewing.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

I've never used iTunes for any of my iPods. I knew how horrible it was for an interface before I ever purchased an iPod, and immediately downloaded the above software. Best $20-30 you can possibly spend (depending on registered version you want) if you are an iPod owner. Drag n' drop and complete windows explorer interface, as you touted the Sansa having. Is it included with the iPods? No. But neither is Java in the Ubuntu OS you so love. :wave:

Face it people, with Ipod, you're paying for the name. There ARE better players, but they aren't made by Ipod, so they don't get as much buzz. Ipods are over-priced with comparable music players. You can find an MP3 player with the exact same functions for $50 less. And it own't need proprietary software, either.

"Better" is purely a matter of opinion... and one that isn't really supported by the masses. Apple pretty much monopolized the mp3 player industry and ran with it once they were started, never looking back... just as Canon dominates the camera market or A1 dominates the steak sauce niche. Apple and iPod are synonimous when anyone mentions mp3 players. Are there alternatives? Sure. Cheaper players? Definitely. Better? No, not in my opinion... and their sales continue to prove that the buying majority agrees. You may not like iPods compared to <whichever other player> but you have to concede that they make a nice mp3 player and their sales back it up. People like them and are willing to pay the extra money.

Guest bkelm18

I'm sure there are other good options than the iPod. Better? Maybe. Better to me? No. But I've been a Mac fan and user all my life and using an iPod couldn't be easier for me. So for me, the choice is natural. When my current iPod kicks the bucket, you can rest assured I will get another one.

FWIW, I would go with the ipod nano. Not as much space, but it is more durable. The 40-80 gig models don't take well to being dropped. My nano has been dropped many times and still keeps going.

my gen 5.5 (first black one) has been dropped from waist level then kicked across a parking garage and its still doing great. plus other drops from varying heights.

My household has 4 ipods of differing varieties and I would buy more.

Edited by Daniel
Guest bkelm18
IPods are the Glocks of the media player world.:D

You shut your mouth! :wave: It is a known fact that John Moses Browning rocked out to some Foghat on his Pod while designing the 1911.

Guest Valkyrie

I'm still rocking my old-school iPod Mini that I got in Germany, so I've had it for a good 4 years now. It's been dropped and slid across a driveway. The face held up and the body just has a few knicks in it.

Also, I had a problem once where my iPod was plugged in to my PC charging and my PC crashed. My mini wouldn't play songs right after that. I went in and restored it to factory, reloaded all my songs, and it's been fine since.

iPods are worth the money for them. When customers ask me what *I* would chose in buying an mp3 player, I always tell them I'd spend just a bit more and get an iPod because I love mine and it's definitely been worth the money over the years.