EDC for bigger hand guys?

bird333

I have a Sig P226, but I am thinking I may want something a little less bulky for edc.  I like how it feels in my hands but again I think it may be a tad too big for edc.  What would you guys recommend for an edc for guys with larger hands?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a compact (G19, G23, G32) or full-size (G17, G22, G31) Glock. The full-size gives a little more spacing for your fingers to wrap around the grip, but not so much that a compact is unpleasant to carry or shoot. The Sig 226 was unpleasantly thick in my experience.

Edited by Glock30

That's a tough one, Bird.  The grip is the pretty much the toughest part of a gun to conceal, but that's exactly where you need the extra bulk. 

Maybe try the M&P Compacts with the "large" grip inserts, and magazines from the fullsize gun with spacers? 

Guest Ceolas

Sig P228 ;)

But in all seriousness, I have a P228 but carry a Glock 36 everyday.

Fairly large handedness. Only thing I had to change was adding a pinky extension on the Glock mag.

Now dont laugh, I carry a Bauer 25 ACP, I can just about rack the slide with one hand by hooking my index finger on the barrel end of the slide.

I can hide it in one hand as well.

I do have a G22 in the van as well.

If you're wanting a 1911 style pistol....consider a 9mm Para Warthog or if 45. is your flavor,  a Para P13 (if you can find one). Para's have a thicker grip that some people feel comfortable with. The pistols are good and often over looked and never mentioned but sometimes they fit better for "those guys with bigger hands".....

Most other pistols choices will be the same that have been mentioned before......truthfully, sounds like you need to hit a fun show...er I mean a gun show and play touchie feelie with desirable pieces of steel or aluminum..... :pleased:

Everyone has made good suggestions, and the Sig P226 is a excellent gun, just on the large size for EDC to some.  I have a Crossbreed holster specifically made for a rail P229, but I don't have a rail P229, but all my P series Sigs fit perfectly.  Of the medium to large frame handguns, my P6 is my favorite, and my P228 is a very close 2nd, both much smaller than the P226.   However, I do find that I carry my Glock 23 and 32 more often than my Sigs with a Crossbreed for my Glocks.  Go on a gropping road trip to the gun stores, find the one that fits!  You will know it when you find one.  Just be careful, you may come back with something that you had not planned to purchase or you might just get both. 

Edited by Runco

Liked my P220 grip for years but now that I have the Kahr CT45 it's the go-to carry and home defense weapon. Never carried P220 as EDC. EMP, Nano, SP101, Colt Cobra .38 were the EDCs. Grips pretty small on all those. CT 45 has  Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove on it.  I think age and/or hand strength has played a part in my preference change

I measure 8" from wrist to fingertips. I carry a Smith and Wesson model 36 square butt, which is a tiny grip. Maybe you should try a wheel gun. The thing about an EDC is you, hopefully, will never hold it unless you are at the range.

I have a Sig P226, but I am thinking I may want something a little less bulky for edc.  I like how it feels in my hands but again I think it may be a tad too big for edc.  What would you guys recommend for an edc for guys with larger hands?

I wear xlarge gloves, at least the rubber ones wear in the lab, and I carry and shoot an LCP with no problems. I'm not a big guy though, and my shirts fit pretty well, so I can't really hide my G19 any more. 

smith 19 with target grips why would you carry anything else

Because a semi has more ammo per mag, a faster reload, is flatter, more than accurate enough, and just as reliable.

Revolvers are fun to shoot and I love them, but nowadays they leave a lot to be desired as a combat weapon compared to modern semis like a Glock. 

Edited by ab28