Best recommendation for female friendly HCP class

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out this link.  It if offered in partnership with Bass Pro Shops, which is about 30 minutes east of downtown Knoxville.  Free for the ladies.  I have heard good things about it.

http://www.shootingforwomenalliance.com/bassproccc.html

also, check out this female shooting organization that partners with a West Knox Gun Shop/indoor range.

http://www.aphroditeshooters.com/

My wife & I took our HCP class here. http://shootingforwomenalliance.com/

The two day class is only $28 per person. It's free if the class has empty seats or you can pay the $28 to be guaranteed a seat, but I've never heard of a class not filling The class we took was at Bass Pro Shop in Kodak, TN. Bass Pro wasn't the one giving the class. It's by certified instructors & a member of the TN Highway Patrol usually monitors the classes.

The two day class is only $28 per person. It's free if the class has empty seats or you can pay the $28 to be guaranteed a seat, but I've never heard of a class not filling The class we took was at Bass Pro Shop in Kodak, TN. Bass Pro wasn't the one giving the class. It's by certified instructors & a member of the TN Highway Patrol usually monitors the classes.

You get what you pay for.

Not exactly, my wife went to that class and she said it was great. It is definitely geared towards women.

I would like to hear when you attended their class and what you felt was so bad. If you haven't attended their class then I suggest keeping the snarky comments to yourself.

Anyone know where that class at BassPro in Nashville does their shooting?

First a disclosure; I teach the HCP course at Tactical Advantage.  Range and classroom in one location.  I think all of our instructors try to make sure all shooters are welcomed and comfortable with a special effort geared towards new shooters.  We also have women only courses.  I am sure you will have a pleasant experience regardless of which class you choose.   tacticaladvantagecorp.com

Any ideas what the best place to take the class is... Specfically female friendly.

Just want to try and keep the male bravado in check is all... Coming from Florida where we took a great class.

All input is welcome!

This won't do you any good but for anyone else that might look from Mid TN there is Tim Guy "Guy Personal Defense" and he will do women only classes if you wish and typically his wife is involved with those. Sometimes you can find a day or time that he doesn't have a regular scheduled class and request that time and end up with just a couple of folks in the class. I'm going to be setting up a class with him next month for my wife and some women that she works with so i'm not recommending someone that I wouldn't send my own wife to.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, an HCP course is so basic that anyone other than a novice shouldn't really expect to learn anything. Take one anywhere, the cheapest possible. I just took it because I had to, I had already been shooting for years, studying firearms and ballistics, ect.

Not really, an HCP course is so basic that anyone other than a novice shouldn't really expect to learn anything. Take one anywhere, the cheapest possible. I just took it because I had to, I had already been shooting for years, studying firearms and ballistics, ect.

That's not always the case. A huge percentage of folks that are taking the HCP course seem to be quite green. You are kind of correct when it comes to the range portion of the class in that they are all held to the same standard no matter how cheap or expensive they are. The difference is that typically the more expensive = smaller class size and the cheaper they get the more folks there are in the class. Some of these guys will have 30+ students in a class so it's almost impossible for anyone needing attention, to get it unless the class runs really long. Another difference I've noticed is the classroom portion, not always but a lot of times is not quite as thourough as most folks need. This tends to be more prevalent in the lower end classes, either because the budget instructor isn't as savvy, is running a permit mill or has such a large class that it's impossible to address all questions that everyone might have. There's always the know-it-all brown noser in the class that hogs a majority of the time anyways.
As far as folks that are into guns deep enough to be participating on a gun forum goes, cheap is good. Get your permit cheap and put the rest towards some actual training. The legal resposibilities are the MOST important issues covered in the HCP course IMHO.

That's not always the case. A huge percentage of folks that are taking the HCP course seem to be quite green. You are kind of correct when it comes to the range portion of the class in that they are all held to the same standard no matter how cheap or expensive they are. The difference is that typically the more expensive = smaller class size and the cheaper they get the more folks there are in the class. Some of these guys will have 30+ students in a class so it's almost impossible for anyone needing attention, to get it unless the class runs really long. Another difference I've noticed is the classroom portion, not always but a lot of times is not quite as thourough as most folks need. This tends to be more prevalent in the lower end classes, either because the budget instructor isn't as savvy, is running a permit mill or has such a large class that it's impossible to address all questions that everyone might have. There's always the know-it-all brown noser in the class that hogs a majority of the time anyways.
As far as folks that are into guns deep enough to be participating on a gun forum goes, cheap is good. Get your permit cheap and put the rest towards some actual training. The legal resposibilities are the MOST important issues covered in the HCP course IMHO.

Basically what I meant, thanks. Guess I was not explaining well enough in my reply.