Hand-me-downs

Guest num7striker

Guest num7striker

These are two rifles that were left to me by my aunt. I was wondering what their approximately worth/usages/over quality are?

Marlin 336C 35 Rem.

Tasco 3-9x32

guns004xv0.th.jpg

guns003bb0.th.jpg

Stevens Savage 87B

Pretty Poor Condition, can tell it has been ignored for 10+ years.

guns005pm3.th.jpg

Pictures were taken hastily with a poor camera.. anyways, could I possibly turn these weapons into a 10/22 (see my other post) or find some decent use for them?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

If you're asking if the selling price of those two rifles would cover the cost of a 10/22, most definitely. Assuming they function properly, and nothing other than cosmetic issues.

Valuing the rifles would really require personal inspection. Let me know if you want to sell the Stevens.

Guest num7striker

After talking to my grandmother, I have discovered that the .22 belonged to my grandfather, so I think that selling it is now out of the question. How much do you think a smith would charge to look over it and make sure it is in working order, as I am hardly qualified to do this.

The Marlin, on the other hand, was given to my aunt by a couple who were renting her cabin, apparently they couldn't make rent that month. Anyways, I don't think I would have any qualms with selling it. 35 rem. appears to be extremely expensive ammo, making it in no-way-shape-or-form a fun gun. And I am not much of a hunter and I doubt I will ever be. Hmm... decisions decision.

Trading Marlin 336C 35 REM for fully functioning and tacticool AR15!!! :eek:

After talking to my grandmother, I have discovered that the .22 belonged to my grandfather, so I think that selling it is now out of the question. How much do you think a smith would charge to look over it and make sure it is in working order, as I am hardly qualified to do this.

The Marlin, on the other hand, was given to my aunt by a couple who were renting her cabin, apparently they couldn't make rent that month. Anyways, I don't think I would have any qualms with selling it. 35 rem. appears to be extremely expensive ammo, making it in no-way-shape-or-form a fun gun. And I am not much of a hunter and I doubt I will ever be. Hmm... decisions decision.

Trading Marlin 336C 35 REM for fully functioning and tacticool AR15!!! :eek:

Again, I'm no expert, but I don't think the Marlin will bring AR kind of money. I'd say you would still be in the 10/22 range, with some boot. Use the boot to begin the tacticool process.

Trading Marlin 336C 35 REM for fully functioning and tacticool AR15!!! :dirty:

Well there you go, if the Stevens/Savage .22 is a good functioning rifle then you already have a good .22. I have one missing the magizine plunger, it was originally my brothers and I remember it being a reliable, accurate .22. You can also push the bolt handle in to keep it from ejecting and shoot .22 shorts in it.

...the .22 belonged to my grandfather, so I think that selling it is now out of the question. How much do you think a smith would charge to look over it and make sure it is in working order, as I am hardly qualified to do this....

Y'know, if it locks up good on a round and you don't see and cracks in metal or anything, well, I'd probably just shoot it, but since you already hang out at Coal Creek...introduce youself to Jonathon there and see if he'll get one of the boys in the back to take a quick look...you can shoot it there too you know?

- OS

Guest num7striker
Again, I'm no expert, but I don't think the Marlin will bring AR kind of money. I'd say you would still be in the 10/22 range, with some boot. Use the boot to begin the tacticool process.

I was just kidding :dirty:. Unless someone out there wants to take me up on it hehe.

Well, I would use it as a primary plinker, however it is quite bulky and bolt action.

I was just kidding :P. Unless someone out there wants to take me up on it hehe.

Well, I would use it as a primary plinker, however it is quite bulky and bolt action.

The Savage/Stevens, and there were Savage/Springfield, same gun, are semi-autos. The bolt handle can be pushed in for shooting .22 shorts because they wont cycle in semi auto. Pull the bolt handle out for shooting .22LR's in semi-auto.

Guest num7striker

After browsing around several different forums and other online resources and discovering how freakin' popular this Marlin 336 is I have been thinking that maybe this is a gun that's worth keeping around if I ever do decide to hunt or need a general all purpose-type rifle. The only turn off is the fairly expensive ammo. I hate being uninformed about things, why can't I just know everything there is to know about guns from the get go? :D

Guest canynracer

If you have a shop you frequent, take it in and ask them to look it up..the book is a reference, but it will give you a starting point...after that, go to gunbroker (as tdr stated) and get market value...