precision/tactical bolt '06?

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

I've really been wanting to pick up on of the Remington 700 Tactical rifles they have out now with the hogue overmolded stock. The thing is, I'd much rather have it in 30-06. Of course that model is only available in .223 and .308. Anybody have any suggestions on a tactical '06? I haven't been able to find anyone making a comparably priced heavy barrel '06. Anyone know of something I haven't seen, or have recommendations for a similarly priced sub moa bolt gun? Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I have a remington sendero, 26" barrel, 7mm rem mag. Its a nice rifle and its accurate. But I suggest looking at savage. More bang for the buck. I'd give the nod to the factory rem barrel. But its a small nod. I like the savage extraction system and trigger better. But figuring the barrel will be shot out in 2-4k rounds anyway, savage's replacement system is nice, really nice. Don't need a gunsmith.

Here's their long action sniper package (can rebarrel into any long action caliber like .30-06). Its probably worth getting vs buying a sporter weight long action and also adding a stock and bedding it:

http://www.savagearms.com/110fp.htm

I know you said long action...but here's a real nice tactical rifle, depending on what you mean by tactical:

http://www.savagearms.com/10fcmscout.htm

Edited by Mugster
Guest 70below

Thanks for the info. Never was much into scout rifles, but I've heard good things about Savages tactical/LE rifles. Interestingly enough, after your recommendation, I noticed that savage used to offer the 110FP in 30-06, but apparently discontinued it and 7mm. I may have to see if I can find a used or unfired one!

Guest Mugster
Thanks for the info. Never was much into scout rifles, but I've heard good things about Savages tactical/LE rifles. Interestingly enough, after your recommendation, I noticed that savage used to offer the 110FP in 30-06, but apparently discontinued it and 7mm. I may have to see if I can find a used or unfired one!

I'd guess that if you call the factory and tell them what you want, they might send you one. Probably pay a bit of a premium.

Guest 70below
i think your best bet would be to go with a long action Savage and then rebarrel it to a heavy barrel .30-06 if thats what you want. most all of the tactical bolts are short actions...

I think if I was going to go to the trouble (and expense) of doing that, I'd just do it with a Remington 700. But, as it appears, Savage already offered their long action in a heavy barrel '06 tactical and did all the work for me, I just have to try and track one down.

I think if I was going to go to the trouble (and expense) of doing that, I'd just do it with a Remington 700. But, as it appears, Savage already offered their long action in a heavy barrel '06 tactical and did all the work for me, I just have to try and track one down.

i was mainly suggesting the Savage because they are so easy to switch the barrels out on... a barrel nut wrench and a set of go-no go gauges and you can do it yourself...

Guest 70below
i was mainly suggesting the Savage because they are so easy to switch the barrels out on... a barrel nut wrench and a set of go-no go gauges and you can do it yourself...

Sound reasoning, I just would prefer not to screw around with it, and have to buy an additional barrel. If I do, I'll just go ahead and get a platform that I believe will have a higher resale.

It was probably discontinued because theres not a huge market for "tactical" 30-06's. .308 pretty much has filled that niche and left the 30-06 for hunters it seems.

I vaguely remember the bull barreled 30-06.

Guest 70below

I can definitely understand that it wasn't a big seller, I'm just amazed that they opted to keep it in .25-06 rather than .30-06. I would have never guessed .25-06 to be a big seller. I guess, it fills the large varmit category.

I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend. You don't have to have a Savage or Remington rebarreled to 30-06. If you buy the long action in 308, you can have the gun re-chambered to 06. The only difference in the 308 and 06 is the chamber size, the barrel is the same diameter. If you use a competent gunsmith, they can do this and blueprint your action at the same time increasing the accuracy of the gun greatly. If you just want a gun built from the ground up and money don't matter, then you have no problem getting it in the caliber you want. Of the older Savage 110's you can usually find one at a gunshow everynow and then. They are almost always sub moa accurate.